going full frame,,,just some silly questions...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
sandy42900
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
going full frame,,,just some silly questions...
11 months ago

till now have only 550d, with some good lens like tokina 11-16, canon 100-400, 50mm1.8 and canon 18-135, now i basically am an hobbiest photographer who travels a lot and love photography, so now i have made up my mind to go full frame as i miss the low light photography in the evenings on my travel. i have two options-

1) i buy a 5d mark-3 with kit lens (24-105),  and keep my 550 d as second body for wild life and birding as 100-400 will give me more reach and i can use my tokina also.

2) i go for 6D with kit lens (24-105) or if you guys strongly feel (24-70 f2.8) and replace my 550 D with 7D body only , that way  i can do some good birding and wildlife on my 7D and low light on my 6D.

3)sorry one more option , just stay put and wait for 7D mark 2...

would really appreciate some help

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 8,274Gear list
Like?
Re: going full frame,,,just some silly questions...
In reply to sandy42900, 11 months ago

sandy42900 wrote:

till now have only 550d, with some good lens like tokina 11-16, canon 100-400, 50mm1.8 and canon 18-135, now i basically am an hobbiest photographer who travels a lot and love photography, so now i have made up my mind to go full frame as i miss the low light photography in the evenings on my travel. i have two options-

1) i buy a 5d mark-3 with kit lens (24-105),  and keep my 550 d as second body for wild life and birding as 100-400 will give me more reach and i can use my tokina also.

This is the best choice if I were you.

2) i go for 6D with kit lens (24-105) or if you guys strongly feel (24-70 f2.8) and replace my 550 D with 7D body only , that way  i can do some good birding and wildlife on my 7D and low light on my 6D.

If you mainly shoot landscape and portraiture, yes 24-70L II (I guess you mean mark II) is a better lens than 24-105L that will reflect in photos.  If you mainly to shoot static birds or slow moving animals then your 550D is OK or cheaper APS-C models such as 60D is sufficient.

Now the latest rumor suggests 7D2 will not be available until next year. In addition 7D2 still will not as good as 5D3/6D in IQ (just check the latest Nikon DX models for example) in low light and at large size.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Spad16
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?
Get a 6D
In reply to qianp2k, 11 months ago

Just get a 6D, and sell the 550D. Once you’ve got the 6D you’ll never use it anyway.  I moved from 40D to 6D, and I don’t miss the crop camera in any way (I sold it) , birds and wildlife works great with the 6D, it’s much better than my 40D ever was. It's a true all-rounder.

Spend the money you save on better lenses.

/Neil

TimR32225
Senior MemberPosts: 2,936Gear list
Like?
Re: Get a 6D
In reply to Spad16, 11 months ago

Spad16 wrote:

Just get a 6D, and sell the 550D. Once you’ve got the 6D you’ll never use it anyway.  I moved from 40D to 6D, and I don’t miss the crop camera in any way (I sold it) , birds and wildlife works great with the 6D, it’s much better than my 40D ever was. It's a true all-rounder.

/Neil

6D is a fine camera for static subjects, but don't kid yourself into thinking you can photograph moving birds with an 11-point autofoucus system and 4 fps.

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +12 more
leroyvanhee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810
Like?

I also went from 550d to 6d a couple months ago. Here's a shot with the 6d that is 100% crop and not processed in photoshop. I did some processing in DPP mainly to turn off the noise reduction and sharpening that is default in the DPP. I also increased the shadows and reduced the highlights in DPP before converting to JPEG.

Jostian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,040Gear list
Like?
In reply to TimR32225, 11 months ago

Spad16 wrote:

/Neil

6D is a fine camera for static subjects, but don't kid yourself into thinking you can photograph moving birds with an 11-point autofoucus system and 4 fps.

-- hide signature --

Think you are the one foolinv yourself, the 6D hasn't got the fancy focus system like the 5D3 but it's focus system is still great, don't kid yourself, as the many many photos of birds in flight taken with it prove, true you'll get more keepers with the 5D3, but the 6D is also more that up to the task...
--
Jostian

Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +3 more
ammac12
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?

sandy42900 wrote:

i just bought a 6D and sold my t3i.  save the money and buy the 6d.  spend the rest on faster glass.  depending on your tastes, either the 24-70, 70-200 or a few primes.

John Vant Land
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?
In reply to ammac12, 11 months ago

I went from a 60D to a 5D MkIII.  The focus on the 5D Mk III is fantastic.  I don't see myself getting another camera for quite a while (no need to).  I wonder if I had bought the 6D, would I have secretly wanted to replace the 6D eventually with a 5D MK III?

My suggestion, get the 5D Mk III with the 24-105.  For landscapes, you can shoot them at f/8 or f/11 and the cost of the 24-70, IMO, would not justify the possible improvement in the lens.  Pros like Rick Sammon swear by the 24-105.

-- hide signature --

Enjoying God and His Creation.

Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?

sandy42900 wrote:

Option two. but wait for the 7D2 to come or just keep 550d.

6D has better high iso performance, lighter body. For most part, we use one AF point and for that part, 5D3 is marginally faster in AF. 24-70/2.8 is of course strongly recommended by we feel you will be much better by using a prime lens especially the 40/2.8 stm which is so small and fits beautifully on my 5d3 and all my friend's 6Ds (who, after comparing my 5D3 and 6d). If price is right 24-70/4 is a good replacement. You can also go for a Sigma 35/1.4 and Sigma 84/1.4 combo. For myself, a 40/2.8 and a 100/2.8L can serve most of my purpose

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R +50 more
MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
I shoot both cameras, and...

Hi

I have both the 6D and the 5D3.

Neither is better than the other IMO. Here is why:

Really Low light and/or static; 6D

Fast moving stuff and/or Sports; 5D3

Since I am more into the low light and static, I end up grabbing the 6D more often. It is also significantly lighter, so for street shooting, hiking, travelling etc I also tend to take the 6D leaving the L glass behind using the much smaller and lighter standard glass, mostly primes...

BR

Marcus

sandy42900 wrote:

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +20 more
Unexpresivecanvas
Contributing MemberPosts: 897
Like?

If  I were you I would follow this plan:

1. Buy a 6d right now. Use it a lot but try to keep it very clean.

2. After several years and when the 7D-II becomes available, then sell the 6D and buy the 7D-mark II

3. When you can see by yourself the differences between 6D and 7D-mark II, you can buy back the  old 6D and get rid of the 7D-II or just keep the 6D, or keep both.

In this way you won't be confused that much  for so long  

ultimitsu
Senior MemberPosts: 5,232
Like?

TimR32225 wrote:

I am guessing it was impossible for a 350D to take  this photo then.

Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, 11 months ago

ultimitsu wrote:

TimR32225 wrote:

I am guessing it was impossible for a 350D to take  this photo then.

Not exactly. In fact, in real life, the only and better useful focusing point is single one so it is always good to follow this skill, and here is one similar to yours

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R +50 more
JohnJ851
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?

sandy42900 wrote:

Option 1.

Get the 5D III and sell the 550D, if you find you need more reach with the 100-400 get a 1.4x extender!

JohnJ

TimR32225
Senior MemberPosts: 2,936Gear list
Like?
So you basically agree with me then...
In reply to Jostian, 11 months ago

Jostian wrote:

Spad16 wrote:

/Neil

-- hide signature --

Think you are the one foolinv yourself, the 6D hasn't got the fancy focus system like the 5D3 but it's focus system is still great, don't kid yourself, as the many many photos of birds in flight taken with it prove, true you'll get more keepers with the 5D3, but the 6D is also more that up to the task...
--
Jostian

It sounds like you generally agree with me by making the statement that "you'll get more keepers with the 5D3"...

My point was exactly that.  The 6d is a fine camera for static subjects but it is not the best tool if you want to get consistently good results (rather than frustration) shooting moving birds.  Bear in mind here that it may also depend on what one considers a "keeper".  A lot of shots I see posted here that get good comments are shots that would go in my recycle bin.  Many are blurry and many lack good composition.

The blurry kingfisher posted in this thread is a prime example of that.  While it may be a special photo in the eyes of the shooter if it's the first time he ever photographed that species, it's still a photo that ends up in the recycle bin, and certainly not one that demonstrates that the camera can follow a moving subject with any consistency.

I did not say that the 6d is not capable of ever getting a decent BIF photo; you simply inferred that yourself.  My comment was intended to inject a bit of reality into the converstation since the OP specifically mentioned an intention to use the camera for birding.

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +12 more
db.
db.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,227Gear list
Like?
Fabulous Image (Whatever the Cam! ;-)) nt
In reply to ultimitsu, 11 months ago

nt = no text!

-- hide signature --

db.

db.'s gear list:db.'s gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III
Spad16
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?
Yet again, the 6D can do birds

What you wrote was

" don't kid yourself into thinking you can photograph moving birds with an 11-point autofoucus system and 4 fps."

Thats nowhere near what you just said you said:

"but it is not the best tool if you want to get consistently good results (rather than frustration) shooting moving birds"

Your first statement is wrong, your second statement is closer to the truth. But I'd disagree with the frustration bit, I Think it's very enjoyable shooting birds with the 6D, even though I don't have the range of your 500/4 lens.

Heres some examples of birds in flight that I Think ARE in focus, I can assure you the 6D had no problems whatsoever photographing this gull, and I could do it again any day of the week.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51246316

sandy42900
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?

hi, finally ordered my mark3 with 24-105 lens kit...looking forwart to my leh (ladakh) trip..any tips?

qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 8,274Gear list
Like?

sandy42900 wrote:

hi, finally ordered my mark3 with 24-105 lens kit...looking forwart to my leh (ladakh) trip..any tips?

Congrats!   Pro: a fantastic camera, best all-round camera in this category. Con: none except a stiff learning curve in its sophisticated AF and functions. Don't be hesitate to answer questions. We all learn from each other. I learned a few tips from some threads in this forum.

Happy photography.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +19 more
krob78
Regular MemberPosts: 175Gear list
Like?

Just to be clear.  I own the 7D and the 5D3.  You will get better results with a 5d3 and your 100-400mm than you will on your old crop body... you can certainly crop ff images and you can crop it further, due to pixel count/size and IQ.  The 5d3 will outperform it at every turn...

Also, I own the Tokina 11-16mm also.  It will actually work on the 5D3 at 16mm!!  It won't work under 16mm but it's excellent at 16mm!  I do a lot of Real Estate photography too and I thought I'd replace it with the EF 16-35mmL or the Tokina 16-28mm but I love the results at 16mm on the 5d3!  Go figure, I just tried to slip it on, no idea why I even tried, but it worked!  And at 16mm, it's great!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads