F-Stop Gear 'Loka' - perfect pack for photo adventure? My small review.

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions
PiterM
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
F-Stop Gear 'Loka' - perfect pack for photo adventure? My small review.
May 13, 2013

So... recently planned to get a new backpack for my photo-trips. This time I wanted  something:
- bigger than my usual carry pack (non-photography): TAD Gear Litespeed (20ltr)
- with quick direct access to my photo gear
- allows carrying full frame dSLR with 70-200/2.8 lens attached
- alpine or military style prefered (not your typical 'photo backpack')
- molle pannels and additional straps for stuff would be welcome

Oh, just to give you some perspective - my usual location for landscape photography:

So after some web searching I found my grail photo pack: F-Stop 'Loka'

http://fstopgear.com/product/mountain/loka

It's as good as they say. It looks like anything BUT photo backpack! It's made of ripstop material in foliage green, hypalon bottom, has waterproof zippers, hydration pocket, molle pannels (!) and gives you almost instant access to your gear without the need of putting it on the ground. You can use it also as a 'lens change tray'. It  has multiple attachment straps, molle also on the waistbelt and you can use one of many photo-inserts - tailored to your needs and preferred body/lens combinations. I opted for 'medium slope' insert, great for D700 with 70-200 and some accesories and also additional lens/es. For my first trip (just to check the pack) I took just mentioned camera combo, 50/1.4 as backup lens, batteries, cards... and that's it. And some cloths & food supply of course. Man, it's a very comfortable pack. To check it evem more I was skiing with the pack and taking pics of my daughter. It took me up to 15 seconds from 'carry on my back' position to first shot. And I didn't rush to much, I think I could go down to 10 seconds or less if I'd practice a bit more. Yeah, it's so fast! Ergonomics beyond anything I've seen so far. Bulky & 'square' typical photo-backpack stuff is a joke compared to this one.

Ok, enough writting, time for some pics (all taken with my iphone):

BTW, the attached medical pouch is ITS Tactical 'Trauma Pouch' (fatboy variant):

So... if you're looking for adventure photography pack - I cannot recommend the Loca more! It's not cheap but worth every $$$. It might be my best photo-related purchase of 2012/13 winter season!

And couple more pictures:

and again John, my little assistant... taking some rest after a hard day

And BTW, just an example - my daughter during ski-training. And I took while skiing with Loka on my back. It's very comfortable and made for action!

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
HomoSapiensWannaBe
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
Re: F-Stop Gear 'Loka' - perfect pack for photo adventure? My small review.
In reply to PiterM, May 13, 2013

Thanks for the entertaining review.   I am also in the market for a similar photography backpack and the F-stop line is at the top of my list, with Clik Elite and Mindshiftgear trailing closely behind.  Cheers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Firedawg97
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to PiterM, Nov 21, 2013

I am thinking of buying the "loka", how easy is it to carry a full size tripod.  Also can you fit a 15" laptop in it?

sapple
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?
In reply to PiterM, Nov 21, 2013

I looked hard at the F-Stop line of bags and really liked what I saw. I ended up going with another company because the F-Stop bags are super pricey. Probably the most expensive bags around outside of the high end fashion line of bags. Still they looked solid.

-- hide signature --
 sapple's gear list:sapple's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +7 more
David Wyman
Regular MemberPosts: 276Gear list
Like?
In reply to Firedawg97, Nov 22, 2013

Firedawg97 wrote:

I am thinking of buying the "loka", how easy is it to carry a full size tripod. Also can you fit a 15" laptop in it?

You can carry a full size tripod via the many attachment points. There is an interesting roll-top tripod bag, too, that will accommodate just about any tripod you'd want to bring with you with into the wilderness.

You can put a 15 inch laptop into the Loka, but it'll be a squeeze and it will not, as per the F-Stop website, let you put anything larger than a 13 inch laptop into the internal sleeve (that can hold whatever fits that you want, including a water bladder).

My own review of the pack is here .

David Wyman's gear list:David Wyman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 +1 more
FlyfishNerd
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
In reply to sapple, Nov 24, 2013

And which bag did you buy?

Kind regards,
Edward

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads