Actually, I was the photographer when the Swedes... Wedding with 12-35mm

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions
Jeanadriane
Senior MemberPosts: 1,615Gear list
Like?
Actually, I was the photographer when the Swedes... Wedding with 12-35mm
May 13, 2013

Hi everybody,

It's been quite a while since I was active in this forum. Travelling got in the way, more specifically staying in a tiny Caribbean island where internet only recently got upgraded to a whopping 2Mb/sec. Max, that is - the average is half at best.

However, I did a wedding here! And actually, Anders, 't was me who was the wedding photographers when the Swedes tied the knot! Young Swedes who initially came here as volunteers, then landed in jobs, and now are starting a family.

I used to do weddings in a previous era, with Contax SLR's + Zeiss lenses, and later with the Nikon D70 + kitzoom. Now m43 is my only gear, and of course I was a little bit nervous about how it would work out. Well, it worked fine to me! I had bought the 12-35mm for the occasion and used it for all pics. What a joy to work with that lens! Excellent sharpness & colour rendering, good FLs, that essential f2.8 option, plus being able to stop down a little for better IQ and still stay at f4.5. To my surprise I made much more use of the 12mm than I'd ever thought I would. I never was much of a 24mm-gal, but now it often was exactly what I needed.

The circumstances were, uhm, interesting The wedding ceremony was held at the end of the afternoon in the roofless ruin of a 18th century church. Slanting but strong tropical sunlight, the proverbial extremes of bridal white and groomy black taken to a next level of DR-challenges by stark shadows and blindingly sunlit patches and walls. And hardly any room to move and find better vantage points and angles, for people were standing in the way everywhere. Over shoulders and between moving elbows my camera was peeping while the newly weds put the rings on eachother's fingers, tenderly wrapping full hands around the beloved fingers.

Please see the nest post for the remainder of this post...

Ciao, Jeanette

-- hide signature --
 Jeanadriane's gear list:Jeanadriane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Nikon D70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jeanadriane
Like?
Re: Actually, I was the photographer when the Swedes... Wedding with 12-35mm
In reply to Jeanadriane, May 13, 2013

Ermmmm, what has happened here? Quite a challenge to post something here that is not one layout mess...

Well, here goes... the remainder of the post:

After the ceremony and the huggin'&kissin' we had all of 35 mins for the official wedding portraits, before the sun hid behind a layer of clouds to sink into the blue Caribbean sea. Quite a photo race through fort ruins and over stony stairways! And that with a seven months pregnant bride wrapped in 21 meters of fabric...

Looking back, I should have brought some make-up powder to ease the sweaty glow on the groom's brow, that sure would have saved me some Lightroom time. Also, looking back, I should have used the fill-in flash to get rid of the shadows in their faces.

The dinner and party were held in a huge tent spanning a tennis court. The steeply sloping roof posed a little bit of a challenge to my Metz AF36, but in the end I had more than enough for the album.

And thankfully, the internet upgrade on island came just when I needed it to upload a book to Blurb, to be  printed as the album. You can see the results here:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/3496929/efa0e22fa940987ec2146080dcfd2b7a7fa8b784

C&C very welcome!

Ciao again,

Jeanette

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vbloomfield
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?

This is a fine book of wedding photos: genuine, lively, capturing the gaiety and emotion of the occasion. It's a nice middle ground between amateur point-and-shoot and overly stylized professional work (though clearly on the professional side). Congratulations!

Blog: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/victor/hereandthere

Blurb books: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/search?search=victorb&commit=Search

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,328Gear list
Like?

Jeanadriane wrote:

Hi everybody,

It's been quite a while since I was active in this forum. Travelling got in the way, more specifically staying in a tiny Caribbean island where internet only recently got upgraded to a whopping 2Mb/sec. Max, that is - the average is half at best.

However, I did a wedding here! And actually, Anders, 't was me who was the wedding photographers when the Swedes tied the knot! Young Swedes who initially came here as volunteers, then landed in jobs, and now are starting a family.

I used to do weddings in a previous era, with Contax SLR's + Zeiss lenses, and later with the Nikon D70 + kitzoom. Now m43 is my only gear, and of course I was a little bit nervous about how it would work out. Well, it worked fine to me! I had bought the 12-35mm for the occasion and used it for all pics. What a joy to work with that lens! Excellent sharpness & colour rendering, good FLs, that essential f2.8 option, plus being able to stop down a little for better IQ and still stay at f4.5. To my surprise I made much more use of the 12mm than I'd ever thought I would. I never was much of a 24mm-gal, but now it often was exactly what I needed.

The circumstances were, uhm, interesting The wedding ceremony was held at the end of the afternoon in the roofless ruin of a 18th century church. Slanting but strong tropical sunlight, the proverbial extremes of bridal white and groomy black taken to a next level of DR-challenges by stark shadows and blindingly sunlit patches and walls. And hardly any room to move and find better vantage points and angles, for people were standing in the way everywhere. Over shoulders and between moving elbows my camera was peeping while the newly weds put the rings on eachother's fingers, tenderly wrapping full hands around the beloved fingers.

Please see the nest post for the remainder of this post...

Ciao, Jeanette

-- hide signature --

Very nice work Jeanette. And those names! Anna and Erik is about as Swedish as it gets. That's the main characters in an old and very well-known musical theater play, "Värmlänningarna", a traumatic love affair with happy ending of course. I guess people must have alluded to that in one or more of the wedding speeches.

Couldn't find a Wikipedia entry in English unfortunately. Probably a sign that this is something genuinely Swedish:

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A4rml%C3%A4nningarna

The couple I photographed were divorced the other day unfortunately, as you can see here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51439089

I hope and think your Anna and Erik will have better luck.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,762Gear list
Like?
EXCELLENT work, Jeanette!

And yes, fill in flash makes life so much easier in tropical sunlight (which is why I keep ranting on about the silly little Oly accessory flash).

What an excellent location too.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,358Gear list
Like?
Jeanette...

Nice job overall -- you captured a lot of emotion and the flavor of the event.

My only critique would be related to the reception shots. Your shutter speed was obviously too slow to avoid motion blur. When shooting action in such low light settings with flash, you need to either shoot in Manual Mode with a shutter speed of at least 1/60 Sec -- or shoot in an auto mode with the slow flash shutter speed set to 1/60.

Slow shutter speed flash shots can be creative for a few images to portray motion, for example a few dance shots, but you don't want everything to have that effect.

Judging from the reception shots you were probably shooting slower than 1/15 second which will always result in ghosting and light streaks.

Regardless, you did a really nice job on everything else.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Vinc T
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
Really nice! (NT)

No Text

wootpile
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
Good! Better work than 90% of all the "pros"

Really excellent work in a difficult setting!

The most important lesson people should take from this job though is less about the nice image quality, and more about how you managed to get all those shots and angles.

Content is king and wedding s is the nr.1 scenario where this is more true than ever.

All the tech-head "wedding shooters" can carry 10 pounds of gear and have 3 assistants but miss or botch 50% of the shots (as in angles/poses/details) you made.

Very good stuff, thanks!

Jun2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,216Gear list
Like?
Very impressive

Very impressed by your skills.  M4/3+ 12-35mm obviously are good enough.

Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +5 more
wolfie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,623
Like?
Great coverage -esp like the use of "mock panoramas" (nt)
-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

jfinite
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,094Gear list
Like?

Nice work under tough conditions.

jfinite's gear list:jfinite's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,572Gear list
Like?

Very lovely book that really conveys the 'story' of the wedding.  And you would never know you were shooting under tough conditions - you made it look easy!

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

James A Rinner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,494Gear list
Like?

Contax RTS...  The most comfortable camera I ever used.  It fit my hands perfectly!

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
James A. Rinner

James A Rinner's gear list:James A Rinner's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
Jeanadriane
Like?
Re: EXCELLENT work, Jeanette!
In reply to Hen3ry, May 14, 2013

Hen3ry wrote:

And yes, fill in flash makes life so much easier in tropical sunlight (which is why I keep ranting on about the silly little Oly accessory flash).

What an excellent location too.

Cheers, geoff

Thanks for the compliment, Geoff!!! Yes, fill-in flash and slow sync flash for me too are wonderful tools!

The location is on the 11 square miles island of Sint-Eustatius, the best kept secret of the Caribbean. I've been coming here since 1996, and kinda grew roots here. My book about it (social documentary) will be published this September. No m43 there, tho. It was captured a while ago with the lovely Konica Hexar. That, BTW, like the Oly's, had a clip-on flash and it was quite good, worked well for me. However, built-in tops it for sure.

Ciao,

Jeanette

Jeanadriane
Like?
Re: Good! Better work than 90% of all the "pros"
In reply to wootpile, May 14, 2013

wootpile wrote:

Really excellent work in a difficult setting!

The most important lesson people should take from this job though is less about the nice image quality, and more about how you managed to get all those shots and angles.

Content is king and wedding s is the nr.1 scenario where this is more true than ever.

All the tech-head "wedding shooters" can carry 10 pounds of gear and have 3 assistants but miss or botch 50% of the shots (as in angles/poses/details) you made.

Very good stuff, thanks!

THANKS for the kind words, Wootpile! Though, haha, I'm afraid I'm one of these "pros". But not a dedicated wedding photographer, just documentary/artist and doing weddings occasionally (in the past).

Every photographer has her/his own style and preferences, and for me it's not the formal aspect but the human / emotional. Documentary photographer, after all. ;)) I really loved the dedication of the two bridesmaids who were the bride's best friends. One of them also had designed and made the wedding dress. I wanted their love and friendship to show in the pics of the morning, when they were doing the bride's hair and dressing her.

In fact, the formal wedding portraits always are the hardest part for me, I'm not much into formalities. And for this wedding I really prepared seriously, exploring the possible spots, at the same light of day I would be taking the pics, studying angles and whatnot. Helps to be calm and focussed when the day is there, and it sure paid off this time.

Ciao,

Jeanette

-- hide signature --
Jeanadriane
Like?
Re: Great coverage -esp like the use of "mock panoramas" (nt)
In reply to wolfie, May 14, 2013

wolfie wrote:

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

Thanks, Wolfie! But what do you mean by "mock panoramas"???

The series of dinnertables that works like a WA-pic?

Cheers,

Jeanette

Jeanadriane
Like?
In reply to jfinite, May 14, 2013

jfinite wrote:

Nice work under tough conditions.

Thanks for the kind words, jfinite!

Ciao,

Jeanette

Jeanadriane
Like?
In reply to vbloomfield, May 14, 2013

vbloomfield wrote:

This is a fine book of wedding photos: genuine, lively, capturing the gaiety and emotion of the occasion. It's a nice middle ground between amateur point-and-shoot and overly stylized professional work (though clearly on the professional side). Congratulations!

Blog: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/victor/hereandthere

Blurb books: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/search?search=victorb&commit=Search

Thanks a lot for the compliments, Victor!

And you have SIXTY FIVE Blurb books??? Lahwdahmuhcee! As soon as I'm back in the internet-saturated world, I'll have a good look!

Ciao,

Jeanette

Jeanadriane
Like?
In reply to Anders W, May 14, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Very nice work Jeanette. And those names! Anna and Erik is about as Swedish as it gets. That's the main characters in an old and very well-known musical theater play, "Värmlänningarna", a traumatic love affair with happy ending of course. I guess people must have alluded to that in one or more of the wedding speeches.

Couldn't find a Wikipedia entry in English unfortunately. Probably a sign that this is something genuinely Swedish:

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A4rml%C3%A4nningarna

The couple I photographed were divorced the other day unfortunately, as you can see here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51439089

I hope and think your Anna and Erik will have better luck.

Thanks for the kind words, Anders!

And hm, hm, interesting what you bring up! I can't recall any references in the wedding speeches, but then, some were in Swedish, and even with the ones in English I was too much focussed on the visual to have any interest in the spoken. However, I'll look up the wiki-info! Anna and Erik, BTW, also are typically Dutch names, tho not proverbial ones.

And yes, I've seen your sad story about the devastating Swedish divorce. Watched it with a big grin. And I too am pretty sure "my" Swedes will do better!

Ciao,

Jeanette

Jeanadriane
Like?
Re: Jeanette...
In reply to daddyo, May 14, 2013

daddyo wrote:

Nice job overall -- you captured a lot of emotion and the flavor of the event.

My only critique would be related to the reception shots. Your shutter speed was obviously too slow to avoid motion blur. When shooting action in such low light settings with flash, you need to either shoot in Manual Mode with a shutter speed of at least 1/60 Sec -- or shoot in an auto mode with the slow flash shutter speed set to 1/60.

Slow shutter speed flash shots can be creative for a few images to portray motion, for example a few dance shots, but you don't want everything to have that effect.

Judging from the reception shots you were probably shooting slower than 1/15 second which will always result in ghosting and light streaks.

Regardless, you did a really nice job on everything else.

God Bless,

Greg

Thanks for the kind words, Daddyo, and thanks for the shutter speed lesson. However, concerning your phrase "Slow shutter speed flash shots can be creative for a few images to portray motion, for example a few dance shots, but you don't want everything to have that effect"... Well, yess, I dowant every picture of the evening to have that effect! It happens to be my trademark, as you can see in my gallery and on my website. And thankfully the couple had studied my website thouroughly, they knew exactly what kind of photographer they were hiring. Maybe you'll be relieved to hear that they were very happy with the results. 

Cheers,

Jeanette

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads