sx280hs: Battery issues - very short life of batteries, extreme discharge rates!

Started May 12, 2013 | Discussions
JJ Rodin
Contributing MemberPosts: 691
Like?
sx280hs: Battery issues - very short life of batteries, extreme discharge rates!
May 12, 2013

I used the camera a little out of the box, had an in car charger setup so charged as I drove. Battery was 'fully charged' and did some trial video and stills. I tried both the 30fps and 60fps video modes, time used was 10mins max, 15 stills rest video, battery almost depleted!!

Had a spare Chinese (are not they all?) 'high capacity-1600mh vs 1000mh std' battery, did a bit more stills and video, 2nd battery still ok (supposedly).

Fully charged all 3 batteries (Canon & 2 cheapos) using AC charger that night.

Went for a walk, did some stills (10) and some more video testing, cheapo battery that was fully charged, no more than 5 mins of video, 10 stills, battery depleted warning!!

Something seems very wrong with the sx280 and batteries!

I have the eco mode turned off, as it dims the lcd very quickly making framing hard to do, must touch button to make it bright and usuable at least with my eyes.

So 3 batteries, both the std Canon and a cheapo (other cheapo not tested to depletion yet) showing extreme discharge rates, VERY STRANGE!!

How about anyone else ??

PS: saw another user complaining of same thing, we thought it might be a charging issue, but again? Either can be the actual charger is bad OR sx280 is simply VERY bad on batterys!! Saw a review that said he was only able to get 100 stills out of the battery vs 200 Canon rating !!

brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,262Gear list
Like?
Re: sx280hs: Battery issues - very short life of batteries, extreme discharge rates!
In reply to JJ Rodin, May 12, 2013

JJ Rodin wrote:

I used the camera a little out of the box, had an in car charger setup so charged as I drove. Battery was 'fully charged' and did some trial video and stills. I tried both the 30fps and 60fps video modes, time used was 10mins max, 15 stills rest video, battery almost depleted!!

Had a spare Chinese (are not they all?) 'high capacity-1600mh vs 1000mh std' battery, did a bit more stills and video, 2nd battery still ok (supposedly).

Fully charged all 3 batteries (Canon & 2 cheapos) using AC charger that night.

Went for a walk, did some stills (10) and some more video testing, cheapo battery that was fully charged, no more than 5 mins of video, 10 stills, battery depleted warning!!

Something seems very wrong with the sx280 and batteries!

I have the eco mode turned off, as it dims the lcd very quickly making framing hard to do, must touch button to make it bright and usuable at least with my eyes.

So 3 batteries, both the std Canon and a cheapo (other cheapo not tested to depletion yet) showing extreme discharge rates, VERY STRANGE!!

How about anyone else ??

PS: saw another user complaining of same thing, we thought it might be a charging issue, but again? Either can be the actual charger is bad OR sx280 is simply VERY bad on batterys!! Saw a review that said he was only able to get 100 stills out of the battery vs 200 Canon rating !!

Have you got the GPS turned off, that is the usual cause of depleted batteries.

There was another thread on this a few weeks back if you search, I have a suspicion that the batteries are not actually flat, maybe canon has set the battery gauge slightly too low.

With my SX260, a lot of shots can be taken between when the gauge drops initially by one bar, and the time when the camera shuts itself down with a red warning alarm.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JJ Rodin
Like?
Re: sx280hs: Battery issues - very short life of batteries, extreme discharge rates!
In reply to brianj, May 12, 2013

No GPS, as I think it is silly and unfortunate to not have sx270 available to buy at a lesser price.

Actually, the second time, cam shut down, that was the 10 stills, 10mins max video time, something is amiss here, these batteries were used in a sx260 earlier w/o any of these apparent limits.

So a real problem, at least for me.

Good luck all!

MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,940Gear list
Like?
In reply to JJ Rodin, May 12, 2013

JJ Rodin wrote:

No GPS, as I think it is silly and unfortunate to not have sx270 available to buy at a lesser price.

Actually, the second time, cam shut down, that was the 10 stills, 10mins max video time, something is amiss here, these batteries were used in a sx260 earlier w/o any of these apparent limits.

Good luck all!

Did you charge the battery for at least 4 hours?

http://www.canon.com.au/Personal/Products/Cameras-and-Accessories/Accessories/Digital-Camera-Accessories/Batteries/NB6L

Also, I understand there are some really cheap batteries around which may be old refurbished ones from previous cameras which could be at the end of their life cycle and cannot hold their charge properly.

edit:  sorry, you say you used these without issue on the SX260.  hmm  Think I'll wait for the 270.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
dale thorn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
In reply to JJ Rodin, May 13, 2013

The SX-280 image quality is so high, to me it's worth the aggravation of having an unreliable battery meter. The video, even with GPS off, does seem to drain the battery quickly. There are other settings that affect power, so check the PDF manual for those. I go out with just two batteries and shoot quite a lot with no problem, so the video may be the big factor.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,940Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarioV, May 13, 2013

MarioV wrote:

JJ Rodin wrote:

Good luck all!

Did you charge the battery for at least 4 hours?

http://www.canon.com.au/Personal/Products/Cameras-and-Accessories/Accessories/Digital-Camera-Accessories/Batteries/NB6L

Also, I understand there are some really cheap batteries around which may be old refurbished ones from previous cameras which could be at the end of their life cycle and cannot hold their charge properly.

edit:  sorry, you say you used these without issue on the SX260.  hmm  Think I'll wait for the 270.

Couldnt resist..

I've purchased an SX280.  Will see how the battery goes..

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Olde Eastham
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
In reply to dale thorn, May 13, 2013

Got mine last week and saw the same problems with the battery(s). I did notice that taking the "dead" battery out and putting it back in, the battery meter on the camera was back to FULL! IMO, something seems to be wrong with the firmware and the battery algorithm. It seems to be more of a problem with video.

MisterPootieCat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,994Gear list
Like?
New Camera?

Continuous AF will shorten battery life, the lens will be constantly trying to focus as you walk around with the camera turned on.

As you already know, the GPS is a power hog.

Video requires a lot of bandwidth, that translates to a bump up in battery drain.

The "high capacity" knock-off batteries rarely exceed the OEM batteries for true capacity, in most cases are usually less.

Also, if the OEM battery is new I would wait until it's gone through a few charge cycles before reaching any conclusions about battery life. They do get better.

My SX230 does okay, around 200 shots per charge with the OEM battery and a but less with the "high capacity" knock offs.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +18 more
DonnaP
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

BEWARE- PLEASE take this issue seriously! I had the previous version of this camera, the 230. I purchased it 2 years ago from Best Buy with an extended warranty..THANK GOD!! I had Iissues with this from day one, with pictures as well as videos. I could use the camera for a max of 5-10 minutes on a full charge. Last year I found out suddely that I jad been chosen to go travel to India for Habitat for Humanity. I immediately contacted Canon to have my camera repaired asap. I do have to give the Customer Service kudos for making it happen quickly. But it was hell from there. As some of you are aware, they claim they know nothing about this issue. The camera was overnighted to the service center. I did not hear from them until I received it back with a letter saying there was NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CAMERA!!! I WAS FURIOUS. I then insisted that they send me a new battery and charger as a last resort. I received two of each. Needless to say no pictures could he taken on my trip because of this LEMON!! I have not used it for a year. Last week I walked in to Best Buy and demanded a replacement on the spot. It was a tough battle, but the store decided to eat the cost. I did have the ext warranty. Well, I decided, through encouragement of the dept mgr, to get the new 280. Bad move. Battery died within 15 minutes. I refuse to go through any of this again. Canon WILL NOT acknowledge an issue. Their tech's will not even find an issue if you send it in. Mine is going back tomorrow and I am going home with a Nikon!! I hope my experience helps.

WB5
WB5
Regular MemberPosts: 355
Like?
In reply to Olde Eastham, May 13, 2013

Olde Eastham wrote:

Got mine last week and saw the same problems with the battery(s). I did notice that taking the "dead" battery out and putting it back in, the battery meter on the camera was back to FULL! IMO, something seems to be wrong with the firmware and the battery algorithm. It seems to be more of a problem with video.

What the OP described indeed sounds like a bug in the battery meter. GPS and continuous autofocus is a battery-eater, sure, but what was described in the opening post is extreme behaviour and the likely explanation is that the camera reports the battery status wrong internally.

bji
bji
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
In reply to DonnaP, May 13, 2013

The issue seems to be with a false flashing red low battery when taking videos.

There are 2 threads on this issue on the Canon forum:

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/PowerShot/SX280-battery-life-shooting-video/td-p/22489

and

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/PowerShot/battery-flashes-red-when-taking-movie-sx280/td-p/22825/highlight/false

It's strange that Canon has yet to acknowledge the issue. I have my second sx280 on it's way. I hope this one is okay.

dale thorn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
In reply to DonnaP, May 13, 2013

DonnaP wrote:

BEWARE- PLEASE take this issue seriously! I had the previous version of this camera, the 230. I purchased it 2 years ago from Best Buy with an extended warranty..THANK GOD!! I had Iissues with this from day one, with pictures as well as videos. I could use the camera for a max of 5-10 minutes on a full charge. Last year I found out suddely that I jad been chosen to go travel to India for Habitat for Humanity. I immediately contacted Canon to have my camera repaired asap. I do have to give the Customer Service kudos for making it happen quickly. But it was hell from there. As some of you are aware, they claim they know nothing about this issue. The camera was overnighted to the service center. I did not hear from them until I received it back with a letter saying there was NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CAMERA!!! I WAS FURIOUS. I then insisted that they send me a new battery and charger as a last resort. I received two of each. Needless to say no pictures could he taken on my trip because of this LEMON!! I have not used it for a year. Last week I walked in to Best Buy and demanded a replacement on the spot. It was a tough battle, but the store decided to eat the cost. I did have the ext warranty. Well, I decided, through encouragement of the dept mgr, to get the new 280. Bad move. Battery died within 15 minutes. I refuse to go through any of this again. Canon WILL NOT acknowledge an issue. Their tech's will not even find an issue if you send it in. Mine is going back tomorrow and I am going home with a Nikon!! I hope my experience helps.

Don't drop that Nikon - they're very fragile compared to the SX-280, not to mention the smeary pixels from Nikon's "processing" is a bad joke. I'm glad my S9500 broke and I now have the excellent SX-280.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
bji
bji
Like?
In reply to dale thorn, May 13, 2013

Are you having the same battery issue - red flashing light as if it's low, when it's not - that seems to be so common? I'm wondering if there are any sx280s out there that don't have this bug.

JJ Rodin
Like?
Update: sx280hs: Battery issues - very short life of batteries, extreme discharge rates!
In reply to bji, May 16, 2013

Using a fully charged Canon original battery, red flashing warning occurred after approx 5 1/2 mins while video-full HD @60fps !!

I kept on using the camera, video with only a few stills, and got 4 1/2 4gb files worth of video. The camera did shut down once but may have been due to 4gb stop and then timeout (non use). Immediately started it up and kept recording.

So I would say the battery is seemingly fine, just the sx280 LIES, LIES & more LIES !!

Will fully charge battery and try again tomorrow.

But will be returning as a guy with a sx230 had this issue and it NEVER did go away, sent it in, Canon returned it as 'works fine', he fortunately bought the warranty from BBuy and got a sx280 recently !! He thinks he will now return for a Nikon something, well that I will NOT do!!! Unexceptable!!

mikearm
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Re: Update: sx280hs: Battery issues - very short life of batteries, extreme discharge rates!
In reply to JJ Rodin, May 16, 2013

According to the Canon Forum, Canon has acknowledged the problem.

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/PowerShot/SX280-battery-life-shooting-video/td-p/22489/highlight/false/page/8

From the moderator.

Hi everyone, Thanks again you for all of your valuable comments on this topic. We’ve confirmed premature display of low battery level while shooting in movie mode with the PowerShot SX280 HS. We are currently working towards a resolution and will provide an update shortly.

As of a few minutes ago Amazon had it for $269. There was a short window last week and I got mine for that price.

Ethel Kambourian
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
Re: Update: sx280hs: Battery issues - very short life of batteries, extreme discharge rates!
In reply to mikearm, May 17, 2013

i am interested in purchasing this camera, has the battery issue been resolved? or ETA when it will?  thank you for your time

Ethel Kambourian's gear list:Ethel Kambourian's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Fujifilm FinePix SL1000
bji
bji
Like?
In reply to Ethel Kambourian, May 18, 2013

As of today, there has not been a resolution of the battery issue, and no ETA either. I hope it comes very soon, or my camera goes back for the second time.

brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,262Gear list
Like?
In reply to JJ Rodin, May 21, 2013

Because it is very unlikely that the camera in video mode is able to draw enough current to completely flatten a charged NB-6L in 5min, I started to think about what if the battery wasn't fully charged!  Because the battery is nearly 1A/hr, it would take between 5-10 amps to flatten it this quickly, and that would produce a lot of heat and I gather the Sx280 doesn't get too hot when in video mode.

We know the SX260 doesn't have this problem, and mine at least uses a CB-2LY charger and a NB-6L battery, can anyone see what charger is being supplied with the SX280?

Even better, if anyone has the SX260 and the SX280, could they try charging the battery in their old SX260 charger and see how long it takes to flatten then.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
JJ Rodin
Like?
In reply to brianj, May 22, 2013

brianj wrote:

Because it is very unlikely that the camera in video mode is able to draw enough current to completely flatten a charged NB-6L in 5min, I started to think about what if the battery wasn't fully charged!  Because the battery is nearly 1A/hr, it would take between 5-10 amps to flatten it this quickly, and that would produce a lot of heat and I gather the Sx280 doesn't get too hot when in video mode.

We know the SX260 doesn't have this problem, and mine at least uses a CB-2LY charger and a NB-6L battery, can anyone see what charger is being supplied with the SX280?

Even better, if anyone has the SX260 and the SX280, could they try charging the battery in their old SX260 charger and see how long it takes to flatten then.

Brian

I think you missed my 'Update' posting earlier. My case was NOT battery (although seemingly shorter than it should be) but the low battery indicator while videoing, seems it always starts about 5 1/2 mins for many ppl, but you can keep on using cam. So charger is likely not at issue. Cam f/w is the problem!!

Chikago
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
In reply to JJ Rodin, 10 months ago

My camera shuts down when I use the zoom (mostly) or just when I want to take a picture. I get the message "charge battery". The battery indicator showed a full battery! It even happened a few minutes after I had replaced the battery with a full one. There is no red flashing, the camera just shuts down and will not power up.

The strange thing is that, when I wait ten minutes, I can go on shooting pictures. Or I take the battery out, wait a few minutes, put the same battery in, and I can take pictures with the battery indicator on full. And then suddenly the camera shuts down and I get the "charge battery" again. But, as I said, the battery is full.

I have the new firmware installed. That didnot make any difference. Also the battery keeps flashing when I take a video, that didnot make any difference either.

I am now completely fed up with this camera. I thought I'd buy a Canon after several Panasonics, thought that would be a good choice. What a mistake.

Chikago's gear list:Chikago's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX280 HS Sony SLT-A55 Sony a77 II Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads