Question+Review: Black Rapid RS-Sport

Started May 12, 2013 | Questions
eorlingas
Contributing MemberPosts: 612Gear list
Like?
Question+Review: Black Rapid RS-Sport
May 12, 2013

Hi guys,

I've owned the BR RS-Sport strap for nearly a year now and thought I'd share my thoughts on it along with a few questions for fellow users.

Pros:

*Easy storage & portability: this strap folds up nicely and is easy to store & transport in my camera bag.

*Nice bumper system that locks the camera into place when you need it to stay in one place

*Easy to combine with Manfrotto RC2 plates for quick change from strap to tripod mounting

*Strap slides very little (mostly none-at-all) when you bring the camera up and down.

*Relatively comfortable to wear without fear of dropping your gear (caveat in cons below)

Cons:

*When you pull the camera up to shoot vertically, especially if you have a grip installed, you'll notice that it's just a little bit tight and doesn't quite give you enough room to pull the camera right up to your face or if you're shooting upward. Not a deal breaker since it's just barely too tight.

*When you're walking, the camera swings back & forth and knocks against your leg or in my case my car keys which are fastened to my belt with a carabiner.  Again, not a deal breaker, but other straps have an adjustment slider that shortens the strap just a little on the fly.

*The shoulder pad, while comfortable enough for a 2 hour or so quick shoot, can get a bit uncomfortable on a full day, or if you have a 70-200 telephoto attached.  I really wish the pad was made of neoprene instead, like the CS version.

With all these points in mind, I can absolutely recommend the RS Sport strap.  However, I do see other options out there that might be a slightly better choice.  And herein lies my questions.

I'm very interested in getting the Carry Speed FS-Pro strap.  However, there are things that concern me about this product.

1) I have heard cases where the nylon mesh will detach from the neoprene pad (because they're sown together).

2) The FS-1 mounting plate seems to have a foldable ball point that allows you to lay the camera down flat on a tabletop should you choose to.  But I'm wondering if I can get a CustomSLR universal mounting plate and then simply attach the ball point of the CS strap onto the CustomSLR universal plate instead.

Or, even better, could I simply take the ball point of the CS strap, dump the mounting plate altogether, and then thread that ball point through the RC2 plate that I currently have?

Thanks!!!

eorlingas's gear list:eorlingas's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,739Gear list
Like?
I chose the Op/Tech system.......
In reply to eorlingas, May 12, 2013

Regarding the Carry Speed Strap, here's an interesting read...........
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/40832355

I've owned a couple of the earlier versions of the Black Rapid straps and got rid of them due to variations in the mounting ring. I chose the Op/Tech sling which attaches to the camera's strap lug and easily integrates with their quick release system seamlessly. The sling and the rest of the accessories cost about 1/2 of what the BR sling cost.......

My bodies all use the Arca Swiss L-plates which I leave attached all of the time so the strap lugs seem to be a better overall mounting point.

Check out the product video......... http://optechusa.com/utility-strap-sling.html

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads