What about this grouping for Nikon DSLR forums?

Started May 12, 2013 | Discussions
mlewan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,185Gear list
Like?
What about this grouping for Nikon DSLR forums?
May 12, 2013

Even I, being a pure hobbyist myself, start getting tired of the large number of fairly basic questions from D600 owners in the "FX" forum. Would it make sense to re-organise the forums in the following way?

1. Pro Forum. This would be for cameras Nikon calls Professional: D4, D3, D800, D700 and D300. But not D600. It would (unfortunately?) include hobbyists like myself, but only hobbyists who have chosen to invest in high end gear, and who hopefully have much higher than average knowledge of photography.

2. High End Consumer Forum: D7100, D600. The owners of these cameras usually have at least some basic ideas about what photography is, so they might share experiences with each other. As far as I understand, these cameras lack not only a full magnesium alloy body but also some very basic functionality like a dedicated AF-ON button.

3. Beginner Consumer Forum: D3200 and probably D5100. Absolute DSLR beginners would probably typically choose these cameras. They have things in common like their inability to autofocus with non AF-S lenses.

No grouping is perfect, of course. Personally, I would fall not only in group 1, but also in group 3, as I have a D5100 as backup. The people who have excellent skills and little money would fall in the "wrong" forums, and people with little skills and a lot of money would also get in the "wrong" place. However, I have a feeling the grouping above would make more sense than what we have today.

Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D3200 Nikon D4 Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DavidChell
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
Re: What about this grouping for Nikon DSLR forums?
In reply to mlewan, May 13, 2013

Sounds like a great idea to me, I'm a hobbyist with a D600 and find alot of the content of the D600 forum not that relevant for me. Often the threads are concerned with issues I'm not that interested in at the stage I'm currently at. I really liked the D7000 forum which I followed for a while, while I was looking at buying a D7k, so I'm a little sad to be unable to participate in it.

My two cents worth, I'd be interested in others' views.

DavidChell's gear list:DavidChell's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?
How about just merging two DX forums?

Assuming "Pro DX" guys don't go nuts cause they have to share the forum with the users of lowly cameras like the D7100, I mean.

P.S. Isn't it hysterical that the only "Pro" forum on dpreview is for D300 users?

Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,729
Like?

Agreed, but it was DPR who has arm the rifle for a second time. I miss the D2+D200 forum before its first split, those photographers had the same philosophy, professional or not, but the same philosophy, obtaining or not money from their pictures, but the same philosophy.

Everything is already classificated + qualified by Nikon , their bodies are : Professional (FX+DX), Consumer (FX+DX), Nikon1 (CX) and Coolpixes (add them a forum for Nikkor lenses) ... that's all.

--

The last weekend @ Mougás, Vigo, Spain.

Regards.

TITCHY
Senior MemberPosts: 1,018Gear list
Like?
Re: How about just merging two DX forums?
In reply to coudet, May 13, 2013

I dont think its hysterical , the "pro DX" label was to differentiate between two very different groups of camera . the new nikon "a" is effectively a P+S but has a DX sensor ,does this mean this would also be included in the (one for all) DX forum.

while I admit the D7000 /D7100 ,are very capable cameras ,with better DR /ISO performance (down to the sensor), the so called Pro models D100/200/300/s are pro not because of thier ultimate picture taking ability ,but because the were biult ,designed and assembled from the ground up as Pro Grade Models, this does not mean simply a better sensor, though when they were made ,they had the best sensors available "at that time" , its because the biuld, weather sealing , control button layout ,and uncrippled controls and menu,s .

members in each forum should be able to relate to each other when asking questions about thier cameras , it does not help to have models with different controls bundled together ,then instead of getting help you will get ,members guessing and offering advice on cameras they dont or have never owned .

what I find really Hysterical is the fact that DPR have bundled the D1/D2/h,s  in the FX forum when they clearly belong in the Pro DX one .

the D600  is the first FX to be made using the enthusiast level of controls and features , and to be honest ,most will agree it has far more in common with the D7000/7100 than the Other FX models , Being almost identical in layout and features, to the D7100.

its awkward to get it right , for DPR  ,as Nikon appear to be changing so many of thier models this past year ,but not owning a particular camera type does not exlude us from visiting or asking questions/commenting in any of the forums .

It does not matter what any of us think about the forum layout ultimately ,we can stay or go , there will allways be those that complain about thier model being in the "wrong" forum , DPR cannot win in this respect , but as long as we can ask our question in any forum ,picking a suitable forum for the question should get the result we want ,regardless of what Model we own .

TITCHY's gear list:TITCHY's gear list
Nikon D810
Lea5
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
Hmmm, no....

mlewan wrote:

Even I, being a pure hobbyist myself, start getting tired of the large number of fairly basic questions from D600 owners in the "FX" forum. Would it make sense to re-organise the forums in the following way?

1. Pro Forum. This would be for cameras Nikon calls Professional: D4, D3, D800, D700 and D300. But not D600. It would (unfortunately?) include hobbyists like myself, but only hobbyists who have chosen to invest in high end gear, and who hopefully have much higher than average knowledge of photography.

2. High End Consumer Forum: D7100, D600. The owners of these cameras usually have at least some basic ideas about what photography is, so they might share experiences with each other. As far as I understand, these cameras lack not only a full magnesium alloy body but also some very basic functionality like a dedicated AF-ON button.

3. Beginner Consumer Forum: D3200 and probably D5100. Absolute DSLR beginners would probably typically choose these cameras. They have things in common like their inability to autofocus with non AF-S lenses.

No grouping is perfect, of course. Personally, I would fall not only in group 1, but also in group 3, as I have a D5100 as backup. The people who have excellent skills and little money would fall in the "wrong" forums, and people with little skills and a lot of money would also get in the "wrong" place. However, I have a feeling the grouping above would make more sense than what we have today.

I don't see the D300 in the Pro and D7100 as High End. I would Pro and High End put together with D3 series and D4 series, D800 and D700 and 600. The rest should be in the Consumer forum.

Lea5's gear list:Lea5's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,852
Like?

mlewan wrote:

There should be only two forums,  a dedicated d600 forum and one for everything else.

sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,860Gear list
Like?
Just split into 2 fora, DX and FX

mlewan wrote:

Personally it makes no sense to me that there is a division between different types of DX camera, so I'm not sure I would agree. The professional/consumer thing is more blurred than it was and sometimes smacks of snobbishness anyway.

I would think the FX cameras belong in one forum (frankly, having used them now, there isn't that much of a difference between the D600 and D800) and the other 2 fora could be merged. I appreciate the reason as to why there was a pro DX forum, but it doesn't make sense to me now.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750
digitalweddings
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Re: Just split into 2 fora, DX and FX
In reply to sgoldswo, May 13, 2013

and a separate forum for D600 dust / D800 left AF issues.

sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,656Gear list
Like?
No thanks

I have a D600, and I like it just fine the way it is.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
whatsmyname
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re:
In reply to sandy b, May 13, 2013

FX and DX slr only.

JeanPierre Koenig
Regular MemberPosts: 232
Like?

Why on earth do you want to exclude people? Want to feel like the upper class?

What about a forum ONLY for Pro who can show they earn 70% of their income for photography and then then rest? :).

Clearly, you have delusions of grandeur..

AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,463
Like?
You're forgetting the forum for all the whiners & complainers

It would probably have the most traffic. 

whatsmyname
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
In reply to JeanPierre Koenig, May 13, 2013

JeanPierre Koenig wrote:

Why on earth do you want to exclude people? Want to feel like the upper class?

What about a forum ONLY for Pro who can show they earn 70% of their income for photography and then then rest? :).

Clearly, you have delusions of grandeur..

Agree. Not many. (if any)

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,076Gear list
Like?

While I suspect it won't work, and won't be done, I can certainly see the point.

This forum used to be far more technically astute in years past.   Certainly at a higher level than I typically can contribute.   Then the D700 came out, and I could see the level of expertise dropping.    Now the D600 is out, and the level has dropped again, and does at times seem more like a D70-D90 forum than a D1-D3 forum.

I see a pretty simple correlation.  When the price of the cameras in the forum dropped to $3000, a lot of 'strong amatuers' and fair amount of 'wealthy hobbiests' started posting, as opposed to the mostly pros previously contributing.   And some of those pros stopped visiting.

Now the price of entry to the forum has dropped into the $2000 range, and it's brought in a lot more people with less knowledge than previously.   Now we're seeing more and more beginning-hobbyists-with-a-lot-of-money posting.   And yes, it does get tiring to some of us to see post after post about people that seem to be amazed they should ever need to clean a sensor.

I don't have any idea what to do about it, other than try to help educate others to what level I can help.  I do miss posts from Marianne and others, though they were often well above my level of technical understanding.  I did always learn something from them, and it's helped me to understand my gear in much more detail.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +32 more
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,900Gear list
Like?
a thoughtful response..
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, May 13, 2013

There has always been elitism but I feel most objections in all fora are to a certain type of 'newbie'.

The type that ask a question and argue blatantly (wrongly) back in reply. This is not a case of freedom of speech but arguing from a standpoint that is wrong in the first place. In all fora there are the obvious well weathered users who know a lot more than I do.. They deserve some respect.. even if not always agreed with. But the scenario below is tiresome

i.e..

Op Help me.. my D*** overexposes all the time. worst Nikon I have ever owned

Forum: Post a picture, please

OP: I know what I'm doing I have been taking photos for years

Forum, Post a picture, please

Op I'm going to Canon

ad nauseam ...

I had a D300, D700, went to D7000 and now have a D600 also. In all fora you have the 'I have joined the club' mentality. I sigh when I hear that phrase. Often I can mean that photography is the last thing on their mind; only what to 'get next'.. and how to test it for issues.

I don't think there's an answer.. all life exists here.. good and bad

peace

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D610 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +1 more
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,095Gear list
Like?
How about a separate "Idiots Complaining About Dust and Oil Spots" forum?

That would really improve the overall forum experience...

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +6 more
narddogg81
Contributing MemberPosts: 995
Like?

how about a forum that requires you to submit photos of sufficient quality to allow you to post regardless of which camera, to eliminate those using a $6000 camera to take underexposed cat pictures?

KevL
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

While I suspect it won't work, and won't be done, I can certainly see the point.

This forum used to be far more technically astute in years past.   Certainly at a higher level than I typically can contribute.   Then the D700 came out, and I could see the level of expertise dropping.    Now the D600 is out, and the level has dropped again, and does at times seem more like a D70-D90 forum than a D1-D3 forum.

I see a pretty simple correlation.  When the price of the cameras in the forum dropped to $3000, a lot of 'strong amatuers' and fair amount of 'wealthy hobbiests' started posting, as opposed to the mostly pros previously contributing.   And some of those pros stopped visiting.

Now the price of entry to the forum has dropped into the $2000 range, and it's brought in a lot more people with less knowledge than previously.   Now we're seeing more and more beginning-hobbyists-with-a-lot-of-money posting.   And yes, it does get tiring to some of us to see post after post about people that seem to be amazed they should ever need to clean a sensor.

I don't have any idea what to do about it, other than try to help educate others to what level I can help.  I do miss posts from Marianne and others, though they were often well above my level of technical understanding.  I did always learn something from them, and it's helped me to understand my gear in much more detail.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Obviously fora should be stratified according to price of camera. $3000 and above, $2999 and below. That should make most people happy.

-- hide signature --

Kevin

KevL's gear list:KevL's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Nikon D40 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
dread_tai
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?

the entire concept of stratifying forums based only "gear" and being linked to skill level is a ludicrous one. the gear u use does not automatically entitle one to a specific skill level, nor the ability to not ask "stupid" questions, nor create "stupid" posts. trust, i have been monitoring both nikon forums (DX/FX) to realise both have their "stupid" members.

i currently shoot with a D7000, use quality, pro glass, and yet u won't find me thinking i'm automatically superior OR inferior to anyone based solely on my gear. i am getting increasingly better results with each successive shoot. do i somehow feel i don't belong "here" b/c i shoot a D7000? of course not. i have viewed several galleries from this FX forum, and frankly i'm not always impressed with what i see using these "high-end" bodies and glass, OP included. furthermore, i've seen galleries from members in the DX forum whose work far surpasses some of those in this forum.

just b/c u own an M5 doesn't make u a great driver, a more skilled driver.......may only mean u have the means to own a german sports sedan.

and lastly, it gets old of hearing the "whiining" from members about having to read posts they don't enjoy........like lil pansies. IF u don't like a topic, do like most others do, and SKIP it. it's easy. i do it ALL THE TIME. they USUALLY post the subject of their post in the.................wait for it................SUBJECT HEADING. no one forces anyone to read each and every post.........informative, stupid, and everthing in between. the "back" button serves me fairly well in that regard.

i visit these forums mainly to LEARN from other photographers, all skill levels; their photographs, their questions, and their responses. is each thread always relevant to what's important to me? no. does each member use the exact same gear i use? no. but does that mean i can't still benefit from reading the occasional post that has little relevance to me? i absolutely can.

dread_tai's gear list:dread_tai's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads