Myanmar 3 week photo trip: Lowepro Flipside 500 or Pro Trekker 400 ???

Started May 12, 2013 | Discussions
Thorstein Korsvold
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?
Myanmar 3 week photo trip: Lowepro Flipside 500 or Pro Trekker 400 ???
May 12, 2013

So which do you recommend?
Appreciate advice!

Looks like both backpacks should hold most of my equipment.
The Flipside 500 seems to be good quality (and I have a flipside 300 I'm happy with).
The pro Trekker, on the other hand, looks excellent - quality through and through.
But in my country (Norway), it's 2,5 times more expensive.

* D800
* Nikkor 200mm F2 VR
* TC20 EIII teleconverter
* Nikkor 14-24mm
* Sigma 35mm 1.4
* Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 OS
* Considering a Sigma 85mm 1.4 lens
* Sigma 180mm macro f3.5 (this lens is my last priority - might take a smaller macro lens instead)
* Manfrotto Carbon tripod with ball head

Here's what I'm planning to take:

I need a good backpack to hold my equipment.

The trip will probably last for 3-4 weeks, and involve quite a bit of trekking and several river boat trips.

I'm planning a photo trip to Myanmar (Burma) in november.

Hello,

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sthlm
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Re: Myanmar 3 week photo trip: Lowepro Flipside 500 or Pro Trekker 400 ???
In reply to Thorstein Korsvold, May 13, 2013

Do you need both a 70-200 and a 200mm along with a possible 180mm?

sthlm's gear list:sthlm's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
In reply to sthlm, May 13, 2013

Yeah, I agree with above posting. That 200mm is so huge and heavy, and yeah it might be a sweet lens, but personally I think its a luxury that you need to leave at home. I Have the flipside 400 and when its full, Its damn heavy. 
..Ive spent nearly two years in total, in Cambodia,Thailand and Laos. I would love to see Myanmar..
Your gonna have a wicked trip..

Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Thorstein Korsvold
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, May 13, 2013

Thanks for the replies!

Well, I guess its' likely I'll just let the 180mm macro lens stay at home. I'll exchange it for a smaller macro lens.

As pointed out, it's a lot of bulk for the 70-200mm, the 180mm and the 200mm f2 combined. And all similar focal lengths...

On the other hand, the 200mm f2 is a fantastic lens - in a completely different league than the 70-200mm. The 200mm F2 also takes teleconverters exceptionally well. So I must insist on bringing it even though it's heavy

Anyway - bags - I'm still undecided. Any advice?

sthlm
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
In reply to Thorstein Korsvold, May 13, 2013

I was in Burma a decade ago.  Things have obviously gotten a lot better since then but when I was there it was not tourist friendly and I had problems.  I'm just throwing that out there.  I should also point out that it was incredibly poor, dirt roads, and relatively terrible conditions.  It also had some of the friendliest people I've ever met (minus the government goons) so I'm not in any way telling you not to go.  I can say however that if I pulled out $5000 worth of photo gear when I was there I would have had the combined wealth of just about every Burmese person I met.  It was so poor and primitive that I felt like I had traveled 500 years into the past.  I had a 3MP Olympus point and shoot with me at the time and it was obvious that the kids had never seen anything like it.

If it's anything like it was when I was there transportation was primitive at best.  At first I had people pulling me on a cart (along with 4 other people - was very cruel), then them pulling me on a half rickshaw/half cart with a bicycle, and finally I happened to meet some really nice people who somehow pulled a couple moterbikes out of their ass and that's how I got around.  So I think you should think about how comfortable you would be with tons of gear on your back.

Bring the gear you want but make sure you're prepared for the weight.  I'm not familiar with the Pro Trekker at all but the 500 to me is quite a bit of gear.  I wouldn't even bring that much on safari and I have never taken more pictures than on safari.

sthlm's gear list:sthlm's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to Thorstein Korsvold, May 15, 2013

Thorstein Korsvold wrote:

Thanks for the replies!

Well, I guess its' likely I'll just let the 180mm macro lens stay at home. I'll exchange it for a smaller macro lens.

As pointed out, it's a lot of bulk for the 70-200mm, the 180mm and the 200mm f2 combined. And all similar focal lengths...

On the other hand, the 200mm f2 is a fantastic lens - in a completely different league than the 70-200mm. The 200mm F2 also takes teleconverters exceptionally well. So I must insist on bringing it even though it's heavy

Anyway - bags - I'm still undecided. Any advice?

Where not going to pry you aware from that 200mm are we?
My photography Limit for travelling is 10 kilo's carry on in a lowepro flipside 300 AW with a carbon fibre tripod in the checked baggage, and even then, I think Im verging on too much.
..You want to embrace the country, meet the locals, have adventures, and not just feel like a pack horse :-o

Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to sthlm, May 15, 2013

sthlm wrote:

I was in Burma a decade ago.  Things have obviously gotten a lot better since then but when I was there it was not tourist friendly and I had problems.  I'm just throwing that out there.  I should also point out that it was incredibly poor, dirt roads, and relatively terrible conditions.  It also had some of the friendliest people I've ever met (minus the government goons) so I'm not in any way telling you not to go.  I can say however that if I pulled out $5000 worth of photo gear when I was there I would have had the combined wealth of just about every Burmese person I met.  It was so poor and primitive that I felt like I had traveled 500 years into the past.  I had a 3MP Olympus point and shoot with me at the time and it was obvious that the kids had never seen anything like it.

If it's anything like it was when I was there transportation was primitive at best.  At first I had people pulling me on a cart (along with 4 other people - was very cruel), then them pulling me on a half rickshaw/half cart with a bicycle, and finally I happened to meet some really nice people who somehow pulled a couple moterbikes out of their ass and that's how I got around.  So I think you should think about how comfortable you would be with tons of gear on your back.

Bring the gear you want but make sure you're prepared for the weight.  I'm not familiar with the Pro Trekker at all but the 500 to me is quite a bit of gear.  I wouldn't even bring that much on safari and I have never taken more pictures than on safari.

I like your posting.. It gives us a very good perspective as to the reality of our western thinking plunged into such a culture/country. Its all seems a good Idea to take the whole kit with you from this end. But then you are there and it all becomes apparent..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads