I will buy the lens you recommend! 24-hourpoll! Minolta BBC vs Sony 55-300!

Started May 12, 2013 | Questions
andycincy
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
I will buy the lens you recommend! 24-hourpoll! Minolta BBC vs Sony 55-300!
May 12, 2013

I just bought an a57 with sony 18-135, and I am replacing the 18-135 with two lenses. I just ordered the Tamron 17-50 2.8, and need to choose between one of two zoom lenses. The zoom will be used for pictures and videos of my kids doing sports and school concerts where the 135 just didn't have quite the reach.

I would like your recommendations on which of these two lenses to buy:

Minolta BBC 70-210 f4 (not this particular one at the link, but the exact same model which can be purchased on ebay for $130ish).

Sony 55-310 new

The sony would have a bit more reach, but the minolta has a half lower f stop and I keep reading about the awesome color, speed, and bokeh of this lens. And it would be half the price.

I will often be taking these pictures in less than bright daylight, so a faster lens is a big bonus.

I'm totally serious that I will go with the group's recommendations, so opinions from the experienced photographers on this site that have used one or both of these lenses is HUGELY appreciated by this newb!

If I don't get at least 25 votes by Monday night I will keep it open until I hit that mark. THANKS!!

ANSWER:
Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,690Gear list
Like?
Re: I will buy the lens you recommend! 24-hourpoll! Minolta BBC vs Sony 55-300!
In reply to andycincy, May 12, 2013

Neither!

Tarmon 70-300 USD gets my vote!

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
busch
Forum ProPosts: 29,804Gear list
Like?

No recommendation as I have no experience with the Sony. However, you are looking at the Beercan and not the Big Beercan.

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony a77 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +14 more
andycincy
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?

Well alright then, not exactly the smashing start I hoped for.

So, the modified voting options are now:

Minolta BC 70--210

Minolta BBC 70-300

Sony 55-300new

Tamron 70-300  new

Should I offer cash for votes? Any input is appreciated! If you haven't used any of these, then no need to respond. Thanks!!

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,690Gear list
Like?

It's the Tamron 70-300 USD....the USD bit is important. It's a much better lens than the non USD version! 

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +6 more
JimmyMelbourne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,001Gear list
Like?

Probably should have kept the 18 135 as it has a good range and IQ, very versatile, has SAM over tamron screw drive lens so also good for video. Dont get me wrong the tamron is very useful, but mainly for lower light shooting, is shorter in range and pretty bad for video due to screw drive noise. I own the tamron and like it but am itching to replace it with a better lens with ssm.

If I was in your boat, would have kept the 18 135, gone a tamron 75 300 USD (if on a budget, otherwise sony G), and perhaps a sony 35 1.8 for low light indoors.

The beercan is a very good lens but it is old, screw drive again, and is really for someone on a very tight budget or someone who like to play around with old minolta lenses for fun as a hobby. It does produce nice shots, however, therefore I keep mine, even though I have other better lenses in the same range.

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 NEX5R Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +18 more
surfnet
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?
In reply to JimmyMelbourne, May 12, 2013

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

Probably should have kept the 18 135 as it has a good range and IQ, very versatile, has SAM over tamron screw drive lens so also good for video. Dont get me wrong the tamron is very useful, but mainly for lower light shooting, is shorter in range and pretty bad for video due to screw drive noise. I own the tamron and like it but am itching to replace it with a better lens with ssm.

If I was in your boat, would have kept the 18 135, gone a tamron 75 300 USD (if on a budget, otherwise sony G), and perhaps a sony 35 1.8 for low light indoors.

The beercan is a very good lens but it is old, screw drive again, and is really for someone on a very tight budget or someone who like to play around with old minolta lenses for fun as a hobby. It does produce nice shots, however, therefore I keep mine, even though I have other better lenses in the same range.

Isn't USD Tarom's SSM?

surfnet's gear list:surfnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A65
tjwaggoner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032Gear list
Like?
In reply to surfnet, May 12, 2013

surfnet wrote:

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

Isn't USD Tarom's SSM?

Yes it is. But jimmy was speaking of the 17-50 2.8 vs the sony 18-135. The 17-50 isn't usd/SSm. it's a screw drive lens.

As to the op, I've used the beercan, just sold one actually. It's a nice older lens and as such it doesn't compete well against something like the new sony 55-300 or tamron 70-300. Nice to have the f4 at long end but its not always needed for outdoor sports and isn't fast enough usually for indoor sports and events.  If your are going to be using a zoom in less than ideal light then you need a 2.8 zoom. The ones you're considering are all great in good light but likely wont make you happy when the light goes down.

i am assuming you needed a faster lens since you got rid if the 18-135 for the 17-50. So I would also assume you'll need that same speed in a zoom.

tjwaggoner's gear list:tjwaggoner's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus E-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Canon EOS 100D +4 more
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,052
Like?
Sony 55-300

If I were choosing between the two and it was going to be paired with the 17-50 then I would choose the 55-300.

Aranea
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?

If you hunt on ebay you can find minolta big beer can or the beer can for around $50. I got my bbc for $63 shipping included. I'll receive it on Tuesday and I can let you know how it is.

Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,986
Like?

Not a vote,...but an observation and thought to consider. I've used the Sigma 18-250mm OS (old model that did have IS), and now use the Sigma 18-250mm Macro OS (new model). It's lighter, shorter and handier overall. I also use the Sigma 70-300mm and the Sony 18-135. I've tried all of these at kids' Little League games, grandkids around the house, quail in my back yard, etc. I like both lenses and use them in the National Parks, etc.

The lens that usually stays on my a57 is the new Sigma 18-250mm. I can only have one lens attached at a time and the frequent need for wider angle makes this a better choice, for me, than anything starting at 55-70mm. If I couldn't use the 18-250 Sigma, I'd go to the Sony 18-135. It's a great lens and surprisingly long enough for most things.

Before you write the check, have a look at the user ratings of your choices on Dyxum.

I like the way you're going at this. I think you will get some good suggestions.

Jack

geoffmalter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,177Gear list
Like?

My A57 came with the 18-135, and I like it very much. I recently purchased a near- new 55-300 which though I use it much less frequently, has IMO great IQ through its range, especially at 300mm.

geoffmalter's gear list:geoffmalter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Sony SLT-A57 Canon EOS M +6 more
Benarm
Regular MemberPosts: 130Gear list
Like?
Tamron 70-300 USD
In reply to Sonyshine, May 13, 2013

Another vote for Tamron 70-300 USD!

$350 after $100 rebate until June 30.

http://kurtmunger.com/tamron_70_300mm_f_4_5_6id290.html

Benarm's gear list:Benarm's gear list
Sony RX100 II Apple iPhone 5
surfnet
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, May 13, 2013

One more vote for Tamron since, as far as I know, the Tamron has better IQ than 55-300.

(And, I have one :))

surfnet's gear list:surfnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A65
WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,820
Like?
In reply to andycincy, May 13, 2013

The lens you should get is the one that fits your photography and photography subjects.  No one else has exactly the same ideas on this as you do.  Just imitating someone else's photography gets old quick. And all the recommendations will be what someone else wants, not you. Develop your own photography.

-- hide signature --

I'm Only Responsible For What I Say, Not For What You Understand.
-Walt-

Stflbn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,436Gear list
Like?
In reply to geoffmalter, May 13, 2013

I was very surprised by the  Sony 18-135.  Way better lens than I expected it to be.

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?
In reply to andycincy, May 13, 2013

BC = 70-210

BBC = 75=300

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 + Sony 55-300

is totally the best budget combo IMO. I've went through a bunch of lenses. and if I only knew, I would have homed straight into this pair.

There are always trade offs thought. The 55-300 has the worst bokeh at wide angles as you'll find on any lens. You'll go woof, w t f was that. But at longer lengths, it gets much better.

But, if you're still around the 50mm mark, stick with the Tamron, and just move closer to stretch things. For much further away subject, the 55-300 will do, and at longer lengths (eg. 200+), the bokeh gets much better.

I think it's interesting to have a 3rd lens, which is the BC (beercan), because its 70-210 and doing it at a constant f4 while being sharp, and it is famous for creamy bokeh.... The 55-300 at wide angles is more like a the background being run through a grinder.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +4 more
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
In reply to surfnet, May 13, 2013

surfnet wrote:

One more vote for Tamron since, as far as I know, the Tamron has better IQ than 55-300.

(And, I have one :))

Another vote from me for the Tamron 70-300 USD.  It's sharp, light and cheap.  For what it's worth I also had the beercan 70-210, and found it not very sharp even @ F/5.6.  Could have been my copy though.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,875Gear list
Like?
A vote for Sony 55-300 based on actually photographing in a school auditorium
In reply to Shield3, May 13, 2013

I just photographed my kids at a talent show with a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 on my A65.  It worked and I am happy with the videos and photographs I have.    When my kids were on, I moved into the ailse and crouched down and got a good video.

But for the photographs I took of other kids, seriously, only being able to go to 70 mm in a small auditorium was bad.  I had to sit several rows back to get a reasonably sized view of the stage.  And then I had to constantly shoot in between peoples heads.

If I had been able to go to 55 mm, that would have been much better.  I would have been able to pick a seat closer to the stage and avoided photographing around peoples head.  Almost every photo I have of other children has fuzzy bottoms or edges from out of focus heads.  (of course I will crop those out when I share the photos.)

I have the Sony 55-300 SAM zoom lens.  It is a real nice lens and I can recommend it.  That is my vote.

(School auditoriums typically do not have super bright lighting.  That is why I took my f/2.8 lens instead of the 55-300.  It was the right decision.  But probably it would have been okay with the 55-300 since it goes to f/3.5 I believe.  The images would have been just a little noisier from picking a higher ISO in order to keep the shutter time short.

It could be the Tamron 70-300 USD has a little better IQ.  I do not have one so I cannot say.  I have read on a German website that the Tamron 70-300 USD has a little bit better IQ than the Sony 75-300 which I also have.   In the little informal testing I have done between my Sony 55-300 and Sony 75-300, it seems to me the IQ is equal.  Slightly different actually, but overall equal.

Then of course there is that little issue that Sony will probably never have lens corrections for Tamron, but it eventually will, if it does not already, have lens corrections for the 55-300.   As near as I can tell, the German review saying the Tamron was better was with lens corrections off for the Sony.

I also have the Sony 18-135 and it is an excellent len.. But since you are only asking about telezooms to also shoot sports, I would stick with Sony 55-300 recommendation.   Also the 55-300 is quite a bit less expensive than the 18-135.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A65 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +17 more
MrIchiro
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
In reply to tjwaggoner, May 13, 2013

I'd go with the Sony 55-300. I had the beercan and the Sony is a bit sharper and has better contrast and colors(I tested them side by side before I sold the BC).  Here's one I took at 280MM:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads