600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.

Started May 12, 2013 | Discussions
Rafael Fischer
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to MASTERPPA, Jun 13, 2013

MASTERPPA wrote:

I have found a bug in Canon's new firmware. Need more testers.

I have 2 Canon 5D3 Flashes. One was from March 2012, and the other December 2012 (so they are not the same batch)

I have two 600RT, one 2 months older then the other.

I used the 600RT and the two 5D bodies for 4 months, no problems over 40,000 shots taken. Updated to the new firmware last week.

I noticed my flash did not fire 100% as it had prior. Not as if was not accurate, as in DID NOT FIRE PERIOD. 4 different sets of battery, changed lenses, changed 600RT from camera to camera, same issue.

It can be made worst by putting the camera is HS sync. I found if I put my camera on HS sync, then turn the exposure down, the 1st 1 or 2 shots, the flash does not fire. The EXIF says "NO FLASH" as if it is no on the camera.

NOTE: It is NOT low battery, or the batter NOT recycling. 1st, they are flesh, 2nd, I was testing at ISO 6400 10 feet from a wall 3rd, some of the test where 10 seconds from flash to flash.

It will still do it even when not using HS sync, but it is more like 1 in 10-20 shots. (I am not shooting rapid fire, and like I said, shooting at ISO 6400, which means the flash is using very little of its full power..

Here is the where the BUG is. When you put the camera in manual focus, OR turn off the IR, it works fine.

What it appears has happened, is when Canon updated the IR, since it was slowing down focus, it created a bug.

I need someone else to verify this since I only have 2 5D3 and 2 600RT. So if anyone out there has a 5D3 and a 600RT, contact me. ESP if you have NOT updated the firmware.

There is no workaround, and it does this even when the cameras are radio slaved to each other.

H!

I have posted a topic some days ago with similar problem just because i haven´t found yours!

I´m having the exact same issue with my 5D3 + 600EX-RT. But with me, the case wasn´t too severe, i have roughly a 3-5% os misfires on a entire wedding (about 1.200 shoots).

All my gig is brand new and when i received the câmera, updated the firmware on the same day. My business parter have a 5D3 too, but she shoots only with 580EXII and the problem didn´t show up…

Thanks for you testings and pacience to explain the issue and results, now, we need just to wait Canon fix it on a future update

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,230
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to Rafael Fischer, Jun 13, 2013

Rafael Fischer wrote:

MASTERPPA wrote:

I have found a bug in Canon's new firmware. Need more testers.

I have 2 Canon 5D3 Flashes. One was from March 2012, and the other December 2012 (so they are not the same batch)

I have two 600RT, one 2 months older then the other.

I used the 600RT and the two 5D bodies for 4 months, no problems over 40,000 shots taken. Updated to the new firmware last week.

I noticed my flash did not fire 100% as it had prior. Not as if was not accurate, as in DID NOT FIRE PERIOD. 4 different sets of battery, changed lenses, changed 600RT from camera to camera, same issue.

It can be made worst by putting the camera is HS sync. I found if I put my camera on HS sync, then turn the exposure down, the 1st 1 or 2 shots, the flash does not fire. The EXIF says "NO FLASH" as if it is no on the camera.

NOTE: It is NOT low battery, or the batter NOT recycling. 1st, they are flesh, 2nd, I was testing at ISO 6400 10 feet from a wall 3rd, some of the test where 10 seconds from flash to flash.

It will still do it even when not using HS sync, but it is more like 1 in 10-20 shots. (I am not shooting rapid fire, and like I said, shooting at ISO 6400, which means the flash is using very little of its full power..

Here is the where the BUG is. When you put the camera in manual focus, OR turn off the IR, it works fine.

What it appears has happened, is when Canon updated the IR, since it was slowing down focus, it created a bug.

I need someone else to verify this since I only have 2 5D3 and 2 600RT. So if anyone out there has a 5D3 and a 600RT, contact me. ESP if you have NOT updated the firmware.

There is no workaround, and it does this even when the cameras are radio slaved to each other.

H!

I have posted a topic some days ago with similar problem just because i haven´t found yours!

I´m having the exact same issue with my 5D3 + 600EX-RT. But with me, the case wasn´t too severe, i have roughly a 3-5% os misfires on a entire wedding (about 1.200 shoots).

All my gig is brand new and when i received the câmera, updated the firmware on the same day. My business parter have a 5D3 too, but she shoots only with 580EXII and the problem didn´t show up…

Thanks for you testings and pacience to explain the issue and results, now, we need just to wait Canon fix it on a future update

So you are saying the camera will release the shutter but the flash will not fire or both flash and shutter will not activate?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 859
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to Zee Char, Jun 13, 2013

Its just the flash that will not fire, and its a little rare as in it only happens with the 5D3 with the 600RT, in a dark room with the IR turned ON.

Still, now I have 5 confirmed cases.  But ALL have the same equipment, and firmware.

Since not everyone has the 600RT, and a lot of people turn off their IR, it is not effecting them.

So you are saying the camera will release the shutter but the flash will not fire or both flash and shutter will not activate?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rafael Fischer
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to Zee Char, Jun 14, 2013

The camera shoot normally, but the flash don't, even with the red pilot light lit on the 600EX-RT, as  if i haven't shoot, but, it the next shoot, it's all OK...

BTW, i never turn off the IR of my flashes, o shoot mainly at night weddings...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 859
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to Rafael Fischer, Jun 14, 2013

Sounds the same. I shoot mainly night weddings.

Hate to say it, but downgrade the firmware.  Its a bug in the way the firmware using the IR emitter

Rafael Fischer wrote:

The camera shoot normally, but the flash don't, even with the red pilot light lit on the 600EX-RT, as if i haven't shoot, but, it the next shoot, it's all OK...

BTW, i never turn off the IR of my flashes, o shoot mainly at night weddings...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PGSONY
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to MASTERPPA, Jun 14, 2013

Hello,

I was researching about this issue and came upon this thread. I have the same issue where I can't focus in a reception hall using a 5dm3 & 600ex rt.. It is sometimes so slow that I end up missing very important shots.  A lot of websites are saying to install the new firmware, but now I am worried this firmware update will make it worse after reading the comments above.  Has there been any more updates since then?  Should I try to update -- I don't want to be in a worse situation after the update.

Thanks!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 859
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to PGSONY, Jun 14, 2013

Canon has not gotten back with me. yes, since I have the older firmware and the AF in dark, with IR is a little slower. But at least I know the flash will fire. Keep a copy of the old firmware (if you can) and install the new. If you see the problem, downgrade the firmware. I downgraded the firmware with no problem.

PGSONY wrote:

Hello,

I was researching about this issue and came upon this thread. I have the same issue where I can't focus in a reception hall using a 5dm3 & 600ex rt.. It is sometimes so slow that I end up missing very important shots. A lot of websites are saying to install the new firmware, but now I am worried this firmware update will make it worse after reading the comments above. Has there been any more updates since then? Should I try to update -- I don't want to be in a worse situation after the update.

Thanks!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PGSONY
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to MASTERPPA, Jun 17, 2013

How can I backup my current firmware? -- this is the first time I am doing this so compeltly clueless!  Thank you!

MASTERPPA wrote:

Canon has not gotten back with me. yes, since I have the older firmware and the AF in dark, with IR is a little slower. But at least I know the flash will fire. Keep a copy of the old firmware (if you can) and install the new. If you see the problem, downgrade the firmware. I downgraded the firmware with no problem.

PGSONY wrote:

Hello,

I was researching about this issue and came upon this thread. I have the same issue where I can't focus in a reception hall using a 5dm3 & 600ex rt.. It is sometimes so slow that I end up missing very important shots. A lot of websites are saying to install the new firmware, but now I am worried this firmware update will make it worse after reading the comments above. Has there been any more updates since then? Should I try to update -- I don't want to be in a worse situation after the update.

Thanks!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Infucus10
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to MASTERPPA, Jun 17, 2013

I wonder if it has with your update to do?

I have a 40D. I know you  can´t campare it to 5d III but when I tried to use radio transmitter on camera ( as master) and 600 RT as slave, i got messege: " error 99" and after som try to put off and on then camera refused to work. I took away battery grip and put a single battery in the camera without grip and it began working again.

It can be problem with 600 Rt interface with all bodies or it has some firmware bug not the 5D III

 Infucus10's gear list:Infucus10's gear list
Nikon D3300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 859
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to PGSONY, Jun 17, 2013

You cant as far as I know. You have to have a copy of the firmware upgrade form Canon. I was lucky and someone send me a link to a copy.  But that was a month ago, and I am sure Canon took down all the old firmwares

PGSONY wrote:

How can I backup my current firmware? -- this is the first time I am doing this so compeltly clueless! Thank you!

MASTERPPA wrote:

Canon has not gotten back with me. yes, since I have the older firmware and the AF in dark, with IR is a little slower. But at least I know the flash will fire. Keep a copy of the old firmware (if you can) and install the new. If you see the problem, downgrade the firmware. I downgraded the firmware with no problem.

PGSONY wrote:

Hello,

I was researching about this issue and came upon this thread. I have the same issue where I can't focus in a reception hall using a 5dm3 & 600ex rt.. It is sometimes so slow that I end up missing very important shots. A lot of websites are saying to install the new firmware, but now I am worried this firmware update will make it worse after reading the comments above. Has there been any more updates since then? Should I try to update -- I don't want to be in a worse situation after the update.

Thanks!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 859
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to Infucus10, Jun 17, 2013

Not sure, all I know if that with the 5D3 and the 600RT (I did not have radio mode on when the flash problems happened) But in very dark rooms with the IR on, the flash did not fire every time.. UGH

Infucus10 wrote:

I wonder if it has with your update to do?

I have a 40D. I know you can´t campare it to 5d III but when I tried to use radio transmitter on camera ( as master) and 600 RT as slave, i got messege: " error 99" and after som try to put off and on then camera refused to work. I took away battery grip and put a single battery in the camera without grip and it began working again.

It can be problem with 600 Rt interface with all bodies or it has some firmware bug not the 5D III

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,230
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to MASTERPPA, Jun 17, 2013

MASTERPPA wrote:

Not sure, all I know if that with the 5D3 and the 600RT (I did not have radio mode on when the flash problems happened) But in very dark rooms with the IR on, the flash did not fire every time.. UGH

Infucus10 wrote:

I wonder if it has with your update to do?

I have a 40D. I know you can´t campare it to 5d III but when I tried to use radio transmitter on camera ( as master) and 600 RT as slave, i got messege: " error 99" and after som try to put off and on then camera refused to work. I took away battery grip and put a single battery in the camera without grip and it began working again.

It can be problem with 600 Rt interface with all bodies or it has some firmware bug not the 5D III

I'll have to test it this week. I have not heard from anyone at POTN.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 859
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to Zee Char, Jul 23, 2013

Ok, I have no found 5 people, without even looking, who have the same problem.  If anyone else seeing this issue with this exact combo and settings? A lot of people think its their batteries, but after some tests, find out its now. Something is wrong with some of the cameras, with the 600RT, new FW, IR turned on, etc..

Zee Char wrote:

MASTERPPA wrote:

Not sure, all I know if that with the 5D3 and the 600RT (I did not have radio mode on when the flash problems happened) But in very dark rooms with the IR on, the flash did not fire every time.. UGH

Infucus10 wrote:

I wonder if it has with your update to do?

I have a 40D. I know you can´t campare it to 5d III but when I tried to use radio transmitter on camera ( as master) and 600 RT as slave, i got messege: " error 99" and after som try to put off and on then camera refused to work. I took away battery grip and put a single battery in the camera without grip and it began working again.

It can be problem with 600 Rt interface with all bodies or it has some firmware bug not the 5D III

I'll have to test it this week. I have not heard from anyone at POTN.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wafin
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to MASTERPPA, Jul 23, 2013

Hello,

I can say that this is an issue for me but I'm also using a yongnuo 622c flash trigger and with the ir turned on a lot of my shots the flash won't fire.

Turning off the IR allows them to function fine.

I was mainly testing this using a photobooth software and trying to remote trigger the flashes instead of running cables everywhere.

I only have 2 600ex-rt flashes so I used 3 of the yongnuo 622c flash triggers and got those to fire through the photobooth software but only after I disabled the IR focus assist beam.

I'm hoping something will get fixed soon.

 Wafin's gear list:Wafin's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A55 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 859
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to Wafin, Jul 23, 2013

Ok, I think this is more proof something is wrong, somewhere. Can you msg me your email or something AND/OR email/call canon..

Wafin wrote:

Hello,

I can say that this is an issue for me but I'm also using a yongnuo 622c flash trigger and with the ir turned on a lot of my shots the flash won't fire.

Turning off the IR allows them to function fine.

I was mainly testing this using a photobooth software and trying to remote trigger the flashes instead of running cables everywhere.

I only have 2 600ex-rt flashes so I used 3 of the yongnuo 622c flash triggers and got those to fire through the photobooth software but only after I disabled the IR focus assist beam.

I'm hoping something will get fixed soon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 859
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to MASTERPPA, Jul 23, 2013

PS, I downgraded the firmware and the camera and flash work fine now..

MASTERPPA wrote:

Ok, I think this is more proof something is wrong, somewhere. Can you msg me your email or something AND/OR email/call canon..

Wafin wrote:

Hello,

I can say that this is an issue for me but I'm also using a yongnuo 622c flash trigger and with the ir turned on a lot of my shots the flash won't fire.

Turning off the IR allows them to function fine.

I was mainly testing this using a photobooth software and trying to remote trigger the flashes instead of running cables everywhere.

I only have 2 600ex-rt flashes so I used 3 of the yongnuo 622c flash triggers and got those to fire through the photobooth software but only after I disabled the IR focus assist beam.

I'm hoping something will get fixed soon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rafael Fischer
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to MASTERPPA, Jul 24, 2013

Last weekend i went to a external photoshoot, so, i made a lot of tests and variations and in fact, the problem only occurs when using a 600RT on camera and IR on, with IR off and using a ST-E3-RT, the issu doesn´t appears at all...

MASTERPPA wrote:

Ok, I think this is more proof something is wrong, somewhere. Can you msg me your email or something AND/OR email/call canon..

Wafin wrote:

Hello,

I can say that this is an issue for me but I'm also using a yongnuo 622c flash trigger and with the ir turned on a lot of my shots the flash won't fire.

Turning off the IR allows them to function fine.

I was mainly testing this using a photobooth software and trying to remote trigger the flashes instead of running cables everywhere.

I only have 2 600ex-rt flashes so I used 3 of the yongnuo 622c flash triggers and got those to fire through the photobooth software but only after I disabled the IR focus assist beam.

I'm hoping something will get fixed soon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 859
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to Rafael Fischer, Jul 24, 2013

Yes, that is what I have seen.  Their is a bug in he new firmware for sure.  Some strange interaction between the 5D3 and 600RT

Rafael Fischer wrote:

Last weekend i went to a external photoshoot, so, i made a lot of tests and variations and in fact, the problem only occurs when using a 600RT on camera and IR on, with IR off and using a ST-E3-RT, the issu doesn´t appears at all...

MASTERPPA wrote:

Ok, I think this is more proof something is wrong, somewhere. Can you msg me your email or something AND/OR email/call canon..

Wafin wrote:

Hello,

I can say that this is an issue for me but I'm also using a yongnuo 622c flash trigger and with the ir turned on a lot of my shots the flash won't fire.

Turning off the IR allows them to function fine.

I was mainly testing this using a photobooth software and trying to remote trigger the flashes instead of running cables everywhere.

I only have 2 600ex-rt flashes so I used 3 of the yongnuo 622c flash triggers and got those to fire through the photobooth software but only after I disabled the IR focus assist beam.

I'm hoping something will get fixed soon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rafael Fischer
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to MASTERPPA, 11 months ago

Finaly!

"We got word (thanks) that Canon could soon (by October 31st) release a new firmware update for the Canon EOS 5D Mark III. The update should mainly address an issue with the SpeedLite 600EX-RT not firing several times when you use manual setings and IR on. The update will be available here."

From Canon Watch (http://www.canonwatch.com/new-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-firmware-end-week/)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,753Gear list
Like?
Re: 600RT Flash bug in new Canon 5DIII firmware.
In reply to Rafael Fischer, 11 months ago

Rafael Fischer wrote:

Finaly!

"We got word (thanks) that Canon could soon (by October 31st) release a new firmware update for the Canon EOS 5D Mark III. The update should mainly address an issue with the SpeedLite 600EX-RT not firing several times when you use manual setings and IR on. The update will be available here."

From Canon Watch (http://www.canonwatch.com/new-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-firmware-end-week/)

Good news!

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

 Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads