F900EXR Review. 4 1/2 Stars

Started May 11, 2013 | User reviews
CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,303
Like?
Re: F900EXR Review. 4 1/2 Stars
In reply to eilivk, Jun 11, 2013

eilivk wrote:

Wonder if it's better at high ISO than F200? WB ok? Find it a bit bluish in F200, have to use "custom" a lot of the time.

Definitely better than the F200EXR at high ISO, based on the F750, which has a similar sensor and firmware. But worse at base ISO.

Yes autoWB has been improved since the F200EXR. If anything yellows are too saturated on the F5x0 and F7x0, but Fuji toned them down for the F900.

Have been thinking about a small superzoom, like a Sony HX, maybe it's not so good in weak light. F900 looks better!

Shot correctly, I am certain the F900 is the best travel-cam currently available. Bit of a learning curve, however. Be sure to read KimL's "how to shoot EXR" article.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eilivk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,463Gear list
Like?
In reply to CAcreeks, Jun 11, 2013

CAcreeks wrote:

eilivk wrote:

Wonder if it's better at high ISO than F200? WB ok? Find it a bit bluish in F200, have to use "custom" a lot of the time.

Definitely better than the F200EXR at high ISO, based on the F750, which has a similar sensor and firmware. But worse at base ISO.

Yes autoWB has been improved since the F200EXR. If anything yellows are too saturated on the F5x0 and F7x0, but Fuji toned them down for the F900.

Have been thinking about a small superzoom, like a Sony HX, maybe it's not so good in weak light. F900 looks better!

Shot correctly, I am certain the F900 is the best travel-cam currently available. Bit of a learning curve, however. Be sure to read KimL's "how to shoot EXR" article.

So maybe I could use ISO 1600 with F900?

Nice to hear WB is fixed, worst problem with F200. Using the three shooting modes, and mainly EXR on the dial. Maybe should read that article again, can't remember it all. Pleased with daylight results, even when I can't see much on the screen, exposure very good.

But how is the F900 AF in low light, really difficult? With most cameras I guess.

eilivk's gear list:eilivk's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Ricoh CX4 Sony RX1 +7 more
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,224Gear list
Like?
In reply to eilivk, Jun 12, 2013

eilivk wrote:

ISO 1600 is not too bad unless the ambient light is very low. I'd stick with shooting RAW, so you can clean up the noise in post. Lightroom 5 and Helicon Filter 5.2 support the F900EXR RAW files. I prefer them to Silkypix myself.

But how is the F900 AF in low light, really difficult? With most cameras I guess.

AF in low light is very good. I suggest keeping the AF assist light on in low light situations.

CAcreeks
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Jun 12, 2013

John McCormack wrote:

eilivk asked:

ISO 1600 is not too bad unless the ambient light is very low/

Here is an ISO 3200 shot from the F750 (similar sensor):

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51626109

But how is the F900 AF in low light, really difficult?

AF in low light is very good. I suggest keeping the AF assist light on in low light situations.

This is one of those cases where you wonder where the reviewer (who complained about low-light AF) had misplaced his brain. The AF Assist lamp is enabled by default, so you really wonder.

eilivk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,463Gear list
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Jun 12, 2013

John McCormack wrote:

eilivk wrote:

ISO 1600 is not too bad unless the ambient light is very low. I'd stick with shooting RAW, so you can clean up the noise in post. Lightroom 5 and Helicon Filter 5.2 support the F900EXR RAW files. I prefer them to Silkypix myself.

Not very clever with PP, but lately managed to get something out of SilkyPix. Maybe good PP is especially important with high ISO and noise? And is it a good jpeg camera?

- and to CAcreeks:

That looks ok to me. Have tried with F200, not very good.

Camera sale next week, and there may be some older Fujis involved. Any between F200 and F900 I should avoid?

eilivk's gear list:eilivk's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Ricoh CX4 Sony RX1 +7 more
coody
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?
How about its performance on low light shooting? Anyone can post some low light pictures?
In reply to John McCormack, Jun 29, 2013
No text.
John McCormack
Like?
New Fuji Guys Video on the F900 EXR
In reply to coody, Jul 9, 2013

The Fuji Guys have just uploaded a video of the main features of the F900EXR for anyone who is interested in getting an overview of the camera. Link: http://youtu.be/vuTxshJfsPc

CAcreeks
Like?
How much latency in zoom lever?
In reply to John McCormack, Jul 9, 2013

Wow, the Fuji Guys have demonstrated that this camera has many useless features! Possibly not useless for everyone. Features seem exactly the same as on my F750EXR.

My principal complaint about the F750EXR is how long it takes from power-on to the zoom lever becoming functional. Often I want to zoom in and must wait an excruciatingly long time.

Is the F900EXR quick from power-on to zoom-in ready?

John McCormack wrote:

The Fuji Guys have just uploaded a video of the main features of the F900EXR for anyone who is interested in getting an overview of the camera. Link: http://youtu.be/vuTxshJfsPc

John McCormack
Like?
Re: How much latency in zoom lever?
In reply to CAcreeks, Jul 10, 2013

CAcreeks wrote:

Wow, the Fuji Guys have demonstrated that this camera has many useless features! Possibly not useless for everyone.

Useless? Well, maybe Fujifilm feels they can throw in something for everyone. Marketing mavens call that a "full featured" camera.

I like the E-fn menu. The ability to set six personal functions (four on the four way controller plus one each on the playback and video button) is nice. It's one of those features that you wonder why others have not implemented.

My principal complaint about the F750EXR is how long it takes from power-on to the zoom lever becoming functional. Often I want to zoom in and must wait an excruciatingly long time.

There's no lag from power-on to zoom becoming functional on the F900EXR as long as you wait until the power up is complete - about 1.5-2 seconds. If you try to enable zoom during the power up operation the zoom control may lag or freeze up.  Not an issue for me.

CAcreeks
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Jul 10, 2013

John McCormack wrote:

I like the E-fn menu. The ability to set six personal functions (four on the four way controller plus one each on the playback and video button) is nice. It's one of those features that you wonder why others have not implemented.

On the F750EXR, the Fn button gives access to only one function.

I don't like it because, especially when wearing gloves, I hit Fn  instead of the shutter button. I will probably tape it over.

There's no lag from power-on to zoom becoming functional on the F900EXR as long as you wait until the power up is complete - about 1.5-2 seconds. If you try to enable zoom during the power up operation the zoom control may lag or freeze up. Not an issue for me.

How do you know when power up is complete? The LCD shows its viewfinder image sooner than 1.5 - 2 seconds.

John McCormack
Like?

CAcreeks wrote:

John McCormack wrote:

On the F750EXR, the Fn button gives access to only one function.

I don't like it because, especially when wearing gloves, I hit Fn instead of the shutter button. I will probably tape it over.

There's no lag from power-on to zoom becoming functional on the F900EXR as long as you wait until the power up is complete - about 1.5-2 seconds. If you try to enable zoom during the power up operation the zoom control may lag or freeze up. Not an issue for me.

How do you know when power up is complete? The LCD shows its viewfinder image sooner than 1.5 - 2 seconds.

I've never really given this any thought since it seems to work smoothly for me. I think whether there is any lag may depend on the amount of pressure you exert on the zoom controller and whether or not your finger slides the controller exactly in a horizontal way to the right without any downwardpressure on the controller. Just a guess. Gloves might be an issue also, but we don't wear gloves in Florida.

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,372Gear list
Like?

"Often I want to zoom in and must wait an excruciatingly long time.

Is the F900EXR quick from power-on to zoom-in ready?"

This also a particular annoyance to me on many cameras. I find the F900 pretty good in this regard. As soon as the start up screen goes away, about a second after pressing ON, the zoom lever works.  (I just timed this watching the seconds tick by on my watch - not a precision measurement obviously)

(But if you are pressing the zoom while the startup screen is still on, the zoom does not work until you let up on it and then press it again.)

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +20 more
teutonic03
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Aug 7, 2013

I have stuck with Fuji´s Finepix series since the late 90´s , owning about all the major versions. I travel /fly extensively and have never figured out why they could never include a simple manual "Focus to infinity", to avoid the inevitable problems of trying to focus through windows at landscapes in the distance , or in certain other circumstances.

I´m now seriously considering searching another brand compact with similar quality and characteristics, that has that function.

Could someone state a simple technical reason why this function isn´t standard in compact camera´s (or are they just so confident of their auto-focus capabilities

And possibly suggest a comparable camera that does ?

John McCormack
Like?
In reply to teutonic03, 11 months ago

On the F900EXR this is easy. Just put the camera in Aperture priority mode and set the aperture at f/7. You will have plenty of depth of field.

Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,462Gear list
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, 11 months ago

John McCormack wrote:

On the F900EXR this is easy. Just put the camera in Aperture priority mode and set the aperture at f/7. You will have plenty of depth of field.

That doesn't mean the next shot will be in focus, though.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

wyoming
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re:i still miss the f200EXR .....
In reply to John McCormack, 11 months ago

sorry but the fxxxEXR series from fuji has been a delusion for me, it involved.

i remember that when the f200 came out it broke the market because was the first true compact camera with good high iso performance. many months after the release i tryied it and was amazed to look at 1600iso pics. i never bought it because the price remained quite high and i still regret it.

the f70exr was more consumer version with smaller sensor but still good, the first real problem was the f80 wich simply had more pixels and didn't take good pics at all. Then came the f300exr and everything went the wrong way.... fuji persisted on the route, the f series now may be great p&s cameras but the lens is very dark with f3.5 and the sensor isn't getting any better.

to see that you can look at the prices f200 is sold on ebay compared to more recent models.

as a result they simply lost the "fame" they earned with the firts great cams, nowdays f series isn't even exposed in many shops. probably fuji earns enough money with x and xf camera, but it's a shame to left this market empty.

wyoming's gear list:wyoming's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-Z850 Fujifilm FinePix A600 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix A800 Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Olympus C-50 Zoom +5 more
Joe186
Senior MemberPosts: 1,706
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, 10 months ago

Can you post some example photos please?

-- hide signature --
John McCormack
Like?
Joe186 Samples Re: F900EXR Review. 4 1/2 Stars
In reply to Joe186, 10 months ago

Joe186 wrote:

Can you post some example photos please?

Samples here .

Joe186
Senior MemberPosts: 1,706
Like?
Re: Joe186 Samples Re: F900EXR Review. 4 1/2 Stars
In reply to John McCormack, 10 months ago

WOW! I gittin' me wonathose!

-- hide signature --
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,372Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joe186, 10 months ago

Here a picture of a road runner from a F900EXR.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads