60mm 2.8 macro - Experiences and pictures

Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions
call me Skippy
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
60mm 2.8 macro - Experiences and pictures
May 10, 2013

Hi there!

Bought the 60mm macro tow weeks ago. Very fine lens - tricky to handle though. Hairline thin depth of field. The split-second between acquiring focus and actual shutter release is enough to move the focus considerably. With 60mm shaking is also an issue. Count in that macro-work often means moving the camera into awckward angles, so holding it still is even more difficult. Count in other conditions - like wind moving leaves - and it becomes quite challenging to get clear pictures... to move quickly in the field and hold the camera steady I am thinking about buying a monopod. Suggestions? Does it work?

Here the - I fear overprocessed - pictures.Noise from high iso cleary visible - but thats the fault of my processing I fear.... However. I am quite pleased with the results. Bought an LED-light to have more room to avoid shaking and keeping the aperture closed...

call me Skippy's gear list:call me Skippy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
windriver
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
Re: 60mm 2.8 macro - Experiences and pictures
In reply to call me Skippy, May 10, 2013

Those are nice, sharp shots for sure.

But to consistently get macr (or even closeup) shots I like I have to use a tripod - because of the factors you mentioned.  I prefer natural lighting for all my shots, though an accessory light sure does enable fast shutter speeds.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,049Gear list
Like?
In reply to call me Skippy, May 10, 2013

Nice set of macro photos for just doing it for two weeks.  Macro photography is a lot of work, but the mft with touch screen really does help.  A tripod helps.  Maybe some off camera lighting if not over done can help.  Living bugs really makes it tough since they do move a little bit and it doesn't take much movement to ruin a macro photo.

Keep at it and post more photos.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
call me Skippy
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
In reply to windriver, May 10, 2013

Thanks. Thats the reason I want to buy a monopod: I feel a tripod would slow me down to much. Do you have experiences with monopod? About the light: Yea. Natural light would be cool, but I feel most stuff you can edit afterwards. And: with insects its not only about shaking hand. The damm guys are fast!

call me Skippy's gear list:call me Skippy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,257Gear list
Like?
In reply to call me Skippy, May 11, 2013

i feel tripods and monopods are next to useless for insect pics. the answer is external flash with diffuser.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
vincent filomena
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,106Gear list
Like?

Excellent: I have the lens, but will probably rarely use the Macro;

I just use it for the sharpness !

Thanks, Vjim

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
windriver
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?

I have no experience with a monopod.  I can see where macro w/tripod for moving creatures would be a challenge.  I have shot static subjects only with macro or extreme close-up, so no help there either.

I think even macros of insects could be more interesting if the light were just so - maybe backlit, sidelit - anything but flat head-on.  Maybe bouncing light off a white board from the side or through a diffuser would help.  Just some thoughts.

eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,737Gear list
Like?
60mm 2.8 macro - Tripod vs Monopod
In reply to windriver, May 11, 2013

windriver wrote:

I have no experience with a monopod.  I can see where macro w/tripod for moving creatures would be a challenge.  I have shot static subjects only with macro or extreme close-up, so no help there either.

I tried a monopod, because it is much faster to adjust to various positions. Results were a little disappointing. Having the extra weight of the monopod certainly reduces shakeing. And it helps to eliminate shake in 1 dimension: up/down if it is placed more or less vertically.

My problem then were the other 2 dimensions: left/right and even more back/forth, which makes critical focus difficult.
But I use MF macro lenses. Perhaps it is easier with AF?

So right now I either use a tripod (for static things) or try hand-held-mode.

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,469Gear list
Like?

These are a good start but as you say, its tricky to get sharp shots hand-holding with any macro lens.

I shoot a lot of bugs, bees and butterflies and for > 90% work hand-held as the types of shot I am after aren't feasible from a tripod. If its a long session I will sometimes use a mono-pod but that is as much to reduce the strain on my arthrititc shoulders as it is to stabilise the camera

I find that the IBIS system on the EM-5 is an enormous help as is the use of flash if the natural  lighting is inadequate

A technique I have found works for me is not to try to hold the camera stable but to use SAF to get intial focus lock then holding the shutter button half depressed to rock my body back and forth to get final focus lock on the eye of the subject (using the EVF not the LCD - I can't get that to work for me as I can't hold the camera stable enough).

Pressing the shutter is done whilst still moving, just as the eye detail comes into focus.

It took a while to get this method to work consistently but now its instinctive and I find I can't get the shots with a static hand-held camera (I shake too much)

A few examples, all with the EM-5 but some with the 60mm, others with a panny 45 macro or the kit lens in macro mode

(I should point out that many, if not all are crops, even when shot at 1:1 with minimum focal distance I often can't see the detail I'm after but the image files carry so much information they respond well to cropping)

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,469Gear list
Like?
last one was with canon
In reply to Brian Wadie, May 11, 2013

I've just spotted that the last shot was with my old canon system using the canon 100 f2.8 LIS, I reckon the M4/3rds system holds up quite well on comparison

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
mazzuccato
Senior MemberPosts: 2,227Gear list
Like?

Very nice shots!

-- hide signature --

Stefano

mazzuccato's gear list:mazzuccato's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,476Gear list
Like?

Very good pictures, liked much. Well done.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads