Zeiss Touit or Fuji X decision

Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions
lmtfa
Contributing MemberPosts: 821Gear list
Like?
Re: Zeiss Touit or Fuji X decision
In reply to dark13star, May 17, 2013

Kilimanjaro must have been spectacular. I looked at your gallery photos and they are stunning. I'd like to know what lenses you brought with you. What is your opinion of the new Zeiss Touit vs. your 24mm Zeiss? How can I find you on ebay, I'm interested to see what your selling and the Zeiss lens you have is compelling. Like you I'm into Nikon, a D700 plus pro glass. I needed lighter gear and went with the NEX 6. I chose the 6 over Nikon 1, Olympus and Fujifilm. I'm sure the Fuji X is a fine camera but I'm happy with the 6.

Continued good shooting.

Tom

Ps what route did you take up to the summit?

-- hide signature --

(i)lmtfa added to amino acid for molecular biological studies

lmtfa's gear list:lmtfa's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
In reply to lmtfa, May 17, 2013

Hi Tom,

We took the Western Breach route up Kili. It is the most technical route, but because it is longest, you have the most time to acclimatize. I shot the 18-55 kit most of the time, except a few in the crater with the 16mm and fisheye adapter. The camera served me well as a lightweight kit. I just like the Fuji better for my daily shooting.

I will send you a private message on gear, because I think it's against policy to put it here.

Rich

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Donald Chin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,271Gear list
Like?
In reply to dark13star, May 17, 2013

I don't know if other has posted this link Zeiss Touit Samples

DAndison
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?
In reply to dark13star, May 18, 2013

dark13star wrote:

Just to close out this thread, I've spent a week with the Fuji X-E1 and I love it. It is a camera that suits my style of shooting and since photography is a recreation to me, the fact that it is more fun (for me) than shooting with a Nex is a huge factor.

I love the OOC JPEG and the raw files are mostly good. There are a few with bright reds and yellow that need work to get right. That said, since the JPEGs are so good, raw is backup for when I need it.

The 35mm f/1.4 is amazing, like Leica glass and the low-light capabilities are great.

This is a Sony forum, so I'm not going to beat this horse here. My only advice is that if you are feeling like Fuji might be better for you than Nex, you really need to try it. Reading forums and comparing specs is no help.

I'll be putting a lot of my Nex equipment on eBay this weekend. I will miss my Zeiss 24mm, but I think I need to sell that and my Nex-7 to build out my Fuji system. Nex has been a great experiment for me and now Fuji will be my next one. Who knows, as this market matures, things can change.

Thanks for all the great advice I've gotten on this forum. As a life-long hobbyist in photography, I can really say there are some talented people in this group.

Rich

I was in the same position and the outcome was also the same. Stunned by the image quality and really enjoyed the handling. I ended up with the X Pro1 though.

Like yourself, I had the Nex7 Zeiss 24,Sony 35mm 18-200 etc etc and they are in the process of being sold. I really enjoyed this camera but the inconsistency in terms of accuracy of the autofocus became frustrating. The Fuji while at times (not always) is a little slower, it is always bang on.

I rarely ever got the full 6000x4000 from the Nex as I had to reduce the images to improve either noise or sharpness. Sometimes down to 4000px width. The agencies I submit to require perfection at 100% and the Nex 7 always had me on edge a little in that respect. As such, the 16mp sensor is working out fine as I have never had to reduce the images and can even up rez if I needed to.

The lens I will miss the most though is the 24mm, it was a gem. And, the tri-Navi was also very good. I was never that impressed with Focus Peaking, not accurate enough for fine detail. I also liked the small flash that could be bounced off the ceiling. I will certainly be keeping an eye on the Nex system but unfortunately, Fuji's Pro quality lenses with a good sensor won out this time. The 35mm 1.4 and 18-55 are near perfection. I am getting shots from the zoom that match / surpass the 24 zeiss.

DAndison's gear list:DAndison's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
dark13star
Like?
In reply to DAndison, May 18, 2013

I will miss the Zeiss 24, especially since Fuji doesn't have their 35mm equivalent out until later this year. I'm confident it will be good. That is my favorite focal length. For now, I'm back to shooting 50mm equivalent. It's a nice experiment anyway. I haven't shot the zoom much (I actually just got it. Returned my body-only and got kit for a bit more), but I'm blown away by the few test shots. What contrast for a zoom lens!

Glad to know others went through the same. I'll see you in the Fuji forum

Rich

Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,711Gear list
Like?

Given that both the Fuji and Sony bodies are about to get upgraded, it seems prudent to be a bit patient and make such decisions after the next round of bodies become available.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
dark13star
Like?
In reply to Gary H, May 18, 2013

That depends on individuals. I never wait for unknown. I specifically didn't buy the pro because I would like the next version the X-E1 is newer though. It will hold me just fine until the next pro comes out. I already enjoy it more than shooting my Nex-7, so that is instant value. The lenses are the real investment though.

Rich

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,847
Like?

The backup quarterback is always the best quarterback .  I would wait until your X-E1 has been the starting quarterback for a while.   At that time you might still feel the same way but then again you might not.

Either way, the Fuji X system is great and I'll probably end up with an X-E1 at some point.   I had the X-Pro 1 for a while but I realized that only primes weren't for me (as good as the Fuji primes are).  The 18-55 and 55-200 solves that problem but it would be difficult for me to give up my NEX....  at least until Fuji releases the 10-24 UWA, adds focus peaking and ideally a tilt screen.

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,636Gear list
Like?

I have both XE1 and Nex 6. I also have Fuji 18-55 with ois, 35mm F1.4 and 14mm F2.8. I hae Contax g 90, 45 and 28 lenses and the Sony 16-50 lens.

I can see it would be a difficult decision. There are things I like about both systems.

It does not surprise me that a user found the IQ of Zeiss versus Fuji lenses hard to pick apart. The Fuji's are superb. The 35mm F1.4 is one of the best lenses around period. The zoom is great. So for lenses the Fuji is the clear winner there. I am sure that Zeiss 24mm F1.8 is a gorgeous lens but Fuji now has several lenses with more on the way. The future 23mm F1.2 should in particular prove to be a winner.

I can outline pluses and minuses of Fuji X and Nex 6 quickly:

Nex 6:

1. Easier manual focusing with focus peaking.

2. Tilt screen is a good thing.

3. Superior video, not just a bit better but way better. Same with stereo sound.

4. Smaller.

5. Backed up a bit better by 3rd party manufacturers - for example lens turbo is only for Nex for now X will be later.

6. Excellent image quality.

7. Apps - for me the time lapse app was a major reason I bought the Nex 6.

8. PDAF focusing although I think it only works with some lenses and even then not all the time.

Fuji XE1:

1. Fuji jpeg image engine is the best of anyones - period. OOC jpegs are gorgeous. Fuji colour is terrific. Fuji's white balance control is again the best of any camera I have used. If you want wonderful colour X cameras are it.

2. Slightly better IQ than Nex but depends on lens as you would expect but Fuji will be a bit better usually - its not massive though.

3. Better looking retro style, higher quality knobs and buttons.

4. Awesome Fuji lenses - wow, these are really nice lenses and relatively affordable. To be clear, I have not used many Sony lenses and none of the better Sony lenses.

5. Sweep panorama function works better on Fuji than Nex. Both work, Fuji's works more easily and less likely to give a fail.

6. Great menus and easy to find controls.

7. Can use an external intervalometer, Nex 6 cannot.

8. Extremely good low light high ISO low noise performance. Almost as good as Nikon D800E. Not quite but better than Nex 6 which is quite good also.

Overall XE1 would probably be the camera I would reach for if I wanted the absolute best image I could take of something between these 2. Nex 6 would be the one I would prefer for using my Contax g Zeiss lenses to make manual focus easier to achieve. It can be clumsy on XE1 and takes longer and with less certainty t get manual focus. This no doubt will be a plus with an XE2 as Fuji X100s has focus peaking and split manual focusing which seems to review well.

Nex menus take a while to get used to. Fuji's is quite intuitive and does not take any time to get used to. Mode control is more difficult with Fuji X though. Nex 6 weak spot is the menus. Sony needs to hire new people to work the menu system. It really is horrid and time wasting and a bad experience.

Overall?? Hmm, Fuji because of the image quality, the colour and the lenses and the overall experience - more immersive. Like a photographers camera versus a serious hobyists (not trying to be condescending here  - trying to create a concept that defines the essential difference).

But if I mainly wanted to shoot manual lenses or use video a lot it'd be the Nex. Or do time lapses.

They both are great, really. Its easy to find reasons to get one over the other so your predominant uses would ultimately determine which is better for you.

Greg.

Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,711Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, May 19, 2013

I've a NEX-6, NEX-7, X100, X100s and probably 10-12 Zeiss lenses in various mounts, including E-Mount.

I agree that the lenses are the key to a system, but picking a company that backs-up their product and has decision makers that are photographers is also very important.  Sony is a technology company.  In my experience, they are not particularly good at listening to what users want, nor quick to rectify product shortcomings.  I'm a film photographer and I'm really impressed that just a few years ago Fujifilm was introducing a new film camera.  That certainly wasn't a good move for the bottom line, but within management are photo-enthusiast. The X line of cameras shows a real interest in supporting photo-enthusiast with a traditional bent.  Also, Fuji has been relatively quick to make changes, update firmware and generally work to make their line of cameras do what their customers want.  If I wanted to have a happy future with in-camera apps, I would go Sony.  I'm sure they will have an app for just about anything that the guy down the street wants to do.  They started their NEX adventure with horrible glass and now they play catch-up.  Fuji has for many years produced optics rivaling the best in photo and the realm of cinema/video.   I think that I just convinced myself to buy some Fuji stock... take care.

Yikes... I forgot that this is a Sony forum...

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
msolea
Contributing MemberPosts: 988Gear list
Like?
In reply to dark13star, May 19, 2013

For a long time, I have been a Nikon Brand Loyalists. It was not until a few years ago that I truly became open to other companies and their products, especially when it came to lenses. That said, I still prefer Nikon DSLR ergonomics over other brands. But, as far as lenses, my MF lens are not Nikon branded and I might be getting rid of 2 Nikon primes to get the new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 A lens leaving me with only 2 Nikon lenses ~ my 24-120mm (general use) and my 85/1.4G. I am still debating what to do in this regard.

While I think both Fuji X and Sony Nex have excellent cameras of which I do prefer the ergonomics of, especially the Nex7. If sampled to the same resolution, I agree with reviewers and my own experience. The Nex7's signal to noise ratio is on basically on par with the others, perhaps, once you get to extremely high ISO it waivers a bit. If you convert to black and white or infrared (shooting in Black and White) then the noise becomes less of an issue.

Since we are at a point where both systems have and have had for at least a few years really good sensors, it should come down to 2 things: lenses and ergonomics.

As for as ergonomics go, I prefer the Nex7, but like many I do not care for the available lenses ~ even the 24mm zeiss badged and 50mm lenses. That is why all my mirrorless lenses are rangefinder lenses (except for the kit lens, which I don't use, except for school events where I teach). Looking at the touit lenses and the sample images available, the only one that seems peak my interest is the 12mm f/2.8 lens. I like its rendering. In comparison the other touit lens seems lacking in character and rendition and looks a bit flat to me. When it comes to rendering, I must confess, I tend to like the more micro-contrast of Leica glass. However, even with Leica, there are many lenses that do not appeal to me, even if they are technically more clinically perfect and faster lenses. The only lens I have issue with with the NEx7 ranging from 21mm to 135mm is the 35mm Summicron ASPH. It needs to be stopped down between 1 and 2 stops to reduce and eliminate the magenta fringing (respectively). I was tempted by the new 35mm Summilux-M ASPH II, but for me the Nikon 35mm F/1.4G gives a similar rendition, which I tend to like more.

As far as lenses, if you want native lenses, then go for the Fuji. But, if you use legacy lenses, I would pick based on ergonomics and image rendering qualities you prefer. I prefer the Nex7 rendering, just as I prefer the Nikon D800E rendering to other lower resolution cameras. It is not because of the increased detail, but rather a rendering I prefer. Before that, my favored camera was the D2X which some loved and some hated. I never owned that camera, because I don't like built in-grips. So, I settled on my second favorite camera at the time the Nikon D200 and D70 before that. I owned the D300 but was never satisfied with it for some reason. But, until recently, I always felt there was something missing in the rendering and appeal of digital. With the D800E and Nex7, I am happy. I was however, planning from the start to have the Nex7 converted to IR-Only status and getting a second Nex7 this coming summer. But now, it might have to wait until the fall and by that time, I might select another Visible Light camera. It might be Fuji or it might be Sony. I am not tied into any brand, like I have been in the past. I will buy the camera that suits me best and simply buy a lens adapter. If sony ever gets to producing the G-level standard zoom for the Nex, I might get it as well as the 12mm Touit. As such, I might become more brand loyal.

That said, I do applaud fuji's focus of image quality with high quality native lenses. I like their 60mm Macro lens very much. To me, it is there best lens and the one that has the nicest rendition to my eyes.

msolea's gear list:msolea's gear list
Sony a6000 Leica APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
dark13star
Like?

This thread has some legs and I am a bit hesitant to keep it going, given that it is a Sony forum, but given that these threads show up in searches, I do think it is a constructive thread and can help others.

I would agree that the Nex is the best platform for legacy lenses, and while I do have some of those lenses, I'm looking for a modern platform with quality lenses and bodies. I've really enjoyed the Zeiss 24/Nex-7 combo, but there is nothing else getting me very excited now. The new Touit lenses are available for both platforms, but so far, I prefer the results of the Fuji lenses.

As for the controls, I think a lot of younger shooters will prefer Sony. That is not a criticism, it is market segmentation. I already enjoy the controls on my Fuji body better. Getting good photos is obviously important, but the act of getting them is all the fun and I like the Fuji controls right now.

To make this post relevant for those who find it. Ask yourself what kind of shooter you are and try both. I bought the Nex before there was anything to compare it to, and I don't regret it. It broke me of my DSLR habit. I'm just hooked on Fuji shooting now. It's like the Leica I can afford.

Best to all
Rich

lmtfa
Contributing MemberPosts: 821Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary H, May 19, 2013

Gary H wrote:

I've a NEX-6, NEX-7, X100, X100s and probably 10-12 Zeiss lenses in various mounts, including E-Mount.

I agree that the lenses are the key to a system, but picking a company that backs-up their product and has decision makers that are photographers is also very important.  Sony is a technology company.  In my experience, they are not particularly good at listening to what users want, nor quick to rectify product shortcomings.  I'm a film photographer and I'm really impressed that just a few years ago Fujifilm was introducing a new film camera.  That certainly wasn't a good move for the bottom line, but within management are photo-enthusiast. The X line of cameras shows a real interest in supporting photo-enthusiast with a traditional bent.  Also, Fuji has been relatively quick to make changes, update firmware and generally work to make their line of cameras do what their customers want.  If I wanted to have a happy future with in-camera apps, I would go Sony.  I'm sure they will have an app for just about anything that the guy down the street wants to do.  They started their NEX adventure with horrible glass and now they play catch-up.  Fuji has for many years produced optics rivaling the best in photo and the realm of cinema/video.   I think that I just convinced myself to buy some Fuji stock... take care.

Concerning a previous post. How do you know that both companies are upgrading their systems? The only rumor out is a Sony NEX 7N and that is a question mark. Can you explain?

-- hide signature --

(i)lmtfa added to amino acid for molecular biological studies

lmtfa's gear list:lmtfa's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,004Gear list
Like?

dark13star wrote:

This thread has some legs and I am a bit hesitant to keep it going, given that it is a Sony forum, but given that these threads show up in searches, I do think it is a constructive thread and can help others.

I would agree that the Nex is the best platform for legacy lenses, and while I do have some of those lenses, I'm looking for a modern platform with quality lenses and bodies. I've really enjoyed the Zeiss 24/Nex-7 combo, but there is nothing else getting me very excited now. The new Touit lenses are available for both platforms, but so far, I prefer the results of the Fuji lenses.

It's more than just one lens, it's an entire system you are buying into.  If you prefer the design and goals of the system, then go for it.  Sony seems like a better bang-for-the-buck, which is probably the biggest reason I will stick to its system, but I also like their designs.

As for the controls, I think a lot of younger shooters will prefer Sony. That is not a criticism, it is market segmentation. I already enjoy the controls on my Fuji body better. Getting good photos is obviously important, but the act of getting them is all the fun and I like the Fuji controls right now.

To make this post relevant for those who find it. Ask yourself what kind of shooter you are and try both.

What kind of shooter?  Young or old?  I don't see an explanation of what is different between the cameras in this thread, other than styling.  I've not bothered to look at Fuji, so I think someone coming fresh to look at this thread might be similarly confused.

When I used film, there were few controls.  Usually, it was ISO.  Maybe you dialed focus.  (We didn't have any SLRs when I grew up!)

If you don't mean that old, Sony brought back the mode dial to the top of the Nex-6.  This goes a long way towards matching more traditional digital cameras.  Some people never got used to the Nex interface.  I like the rotating dial on the back, but having to press a button to get to the mode selection is an extra button press over having a dial (for Nexes other than the 6, and for most other digital cameras).

I bought the Nex before there was anything to compare it to, and I don't regret it. It broke me of my DSLR habit. I'm just hooked on Fuji shooting now. It's like the Leica I can afford.

I don't think getting something based on "feel" is invalid.  For many things, I think it is part of the experience.  Some people just want a car to go from A to B, but some cars are more fun in doing so (and not necessarily super expensive).

Best to all
Rich

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
GaryW
Like?
In reply to Gary H, May 19, 2013

Gary H wrote:

I agree that the lenses are the key to a system, but picking a company that backs-up their product and has decision makers that are photographers is also very important.  Sony is a technology company.  In my experience, they are not particularly good at listening to what users want, nor quick to rectify product shortcomings.

As someone who has frequented the Sony forums before the Nex, it seems to me that Sony tends to reserve firmware updates for actual bugs and fixes not for product upgrades.  With the arrival of the Nex, they actually listened to their users and did a significant upgrade.  With the Nex-6, they added a mode dial and most of the newer cameras have additional function buttons that are not there in earlier cameras.  It seems to me that compared to their more stable platforms, they've given a lot of attention and adjustments to the Nex system.  They also kick out new models much more frequently than most other companies.

So, what specific shortcomings are they refusing to address that users are clamoring for?

I'm a film photographer and I'm really impressed that just a few years ago Fujifilm was introducing a new film camera.  That certainly wasn't a good move for the bottom line, but within management are photo-enthusiast. The X line of cameras shows a real interest in supporting photo-enthusiast with a traditional bent.  Also, Fuji has been relatively quick to make changes, update firmware and generally work to make their line of cameras do what their customers want.

Their customers but not all customers?

If I wanted to have a happy future with in-camera apps, I would go Sony.  I'm sure they will have an app for just about anything that the guy down the street wants to do.

Yes, "that guy". That guy who's not a REAL photographer?

The apps have a lot of potential, and a lot of uses.  For some people just one app might be invaluable, like having a built-in intervalometer.  Also, if Sony comes up with a new feature or unique concept that is implemented as an app, you can get it on your older camera rather than having to upgrade the hardware; this will allow them to make more updates without their usual concern about upgrading the firmware.  (Earlier, you were concerned about the ease of making changes...)

They started their NEX adventure with horrible glass and now they play catch-up.

The CZ24 has been out a long time.  Most of the primes have turned out to be good.  What horrible glass do you mean?  The 18-55 and the 16mm?  I wouldn't call them horrible, and they are very affordable.

If you really wanted to complain about Sony, you could even argue that they're not playing catch up with the release of the other pancake lenses.  Well, they're catching up to the m43 in size, I suppose.

Fuji has for many years produced optics rivaling the best in photo and the realm of cinema/video.   I think that I just convinced myself to buy some Fuji stock... take care.

Where "those people" are that like apps.

Why beat up Sony for wanting to support a wider audience?  It's as if those who consider themselves expert photographers think that more average users don't deserve a good camera.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,898Gear list
Like?
In reply to GaryW, May 19, 2013

Having shot both Fuji and Sony NEX I can confirm that neither system is perfect. You will find things maddening about Fuji that work beautifully on Sony and vica versa.

I Sold my Fuji in the end and went with Nex.

No regrets.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
GaryW
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, May 19, 2013

Sonyshine wrote:

Having shot both Fuji and Sony NEX I can confirm that neither system is perfect. You will find things maddening about Fuji that work beautifully on Sony and vica versa.

I Sold my Fuji in the end and went with Nex.

No regrets.

Any time I've shopped for cameras, there were always tradeoffs.

Instead of trying to obsess about Sony lenses, if that was the biggest deal, I'd just buy another system that already does what I want.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

dark13star
Like?

What kind of shooter?  Young or old?  I don't see an explanation of what is different between the cameras in this thread, other than styling.  I've not bothered to look at Fuji, so I think someone coming fresh to look at this thread might be similarly confused.

I don't think age necessarily matters, but those of us who grew up with manual SLRs may be biased towards the manual controls.

I like that I can set most of the exposure on the Fuji without looking at a screen. Shutter and aperture are right there. ISO is not, however and I can see how it would be difficult with the number of increments available these days. BTW, you can adjust more shutter choices on the screen between the increments on the dial, but I haven't used that much. Exposure compensation is right there too and readable without looking at a screen. Again, these are things I like. I'm not trashing Sony.

One technical bit that I am finding much better on Fuji over my Nex cameras (perhaps it's better in the Nex-6) is the multi-metering. I use that exposure compensation far less on the Fuji. With my Nex-7, I probably had to adjust it at least 50% of the time.

dark13star
Like?

Any time I've shopped for cameras, there were always tradeoffs.

Everything in LIFE has tradeoffs. That's what it's all about

Rich

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,060Gear list
Like?

dark13star wrote:

I don't think age necessarily matters, but those of us who grew up with manual SLRs may be biased towards the manual controls.

I like that I can set most of the exposure on the Fuji without looking at a screen. Shutter and aperture are right there. ISO is not, however and I can see how it would be difficult with the number of increments available these days. BTW, you can adjust more shutter choices on the screen between the increments on the dial, but I haven't used that much. Exposure compensation is right there too and readable without looking at a screen. Again, these are things I like. I'm not trashing Sony.

One technical bit that I am finding much better on Fuji over my Nex cameras (perhaps it's better in the Nex-6) is the multi-metering. I use that exposure compensation far less on the Fuji. With my Nex-7, I probably had to adjust it at least 50% of the time.

I think that those of us doing computer work may be ok with the electronic age approach of modern interfaces.

I still favor compactness over lots of wards sticking out, even if they do give meaningful feedback. Working with the Nex, I 'trained' myself to pay attention to aperture, ISO, shutter speed, EV, prior to each shot, it then becomes second nature.

But everyone has their own preferences. I prefer the Nex camera design (sleekness, cleanliness, compactness, better pricing), and am not drawn to legacy design look

Also, Fuji is carving out its own niche, but I don't see a good price/performance trade-off yet. Let's see how used camera prices hold up, or not.

As to IQ, I find the Nex-6 the most satisfying, since I hardly ever have a background focus problem. Both the Fuji and the Nex-7 have a b***y AF system in comparison. It works, but you have to baby it.

And then there is resolution, the Nex-7 is 'above' the Nex-6, but I seldom need the extra pixels. 16Mp, whether Bayer (Nex-6), X-trans (Fuji), Higher-resolution-Bayer (Nex-7), or Foveon (Fuji-patent), seems sufficient for general print size, and surely for monitor results. It then comes back to composition, exposure, subject and post-edit workflow.

I sometimes would like a stop faster - for many reasons - which keeps the FF-mirrorless alive in my mind. Certain RX-1 images can just not be matched with APS-C sensors.

Now, and this is a Nex-7 feature only, that I have not read much about here: the Display mode (Camera > DISP Button) has two modes that are not present on the other Nex cameras:

1. Live View Priority

2. For Viewfinder

In Live View Priority mode, the LCD viewing screen is very clean, removed from all clutter, with the essential information shown in the side bar (battery, image-count, Mode, Shutter, Aperture, EV, ISO).

In For Viewfinder mode, all settings are displayed, similar to the little LCD screens on DSLR cameras. It also shows the assignment of the buttons.

In both modes, the EVF is not affected, when you move your eye to the EVF, you see the normal information in the top and bottom lines.

Either of these two modes are, imho, far preferred over lots of knobs and wards that stick out from the camera, and catch dust or scrape against objects.

Lastly, adjusting any parameter while viewing either screen is a snap - most are also directly accessible, and some indirectly (e.g. Fn button) - there is no need for menu diving.

I would like to see these modes on all Nex cameras - why only keep it for Nex-7. Ahh, those Sony marketeers ....

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads