Model sadness...
May 10, 2013

5DII+100macro+Einstein 640/Reflect umbrela

-- hide signature --

Still shooting 35/120/220mm film

pspentax's gear list:pspentax's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7R +13 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383Gear list
Like?
Viewer sadness...
In reply to pspentax, May 10, 2013

This is a very strong and disquiting picture. Technically it is very good, emotionally I find it saddening, maybe because I read more into it than it actually says.

The lipstick sends me off on a sexual tangent, discrepant to the child's age. If that is the story you are trying to tell, it works disconcertingly well.

I hope there is another story behind the picture?

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pspentax
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?
Re: Viewer sadness...
In reply to Klaus dk, May 10, 2013

Klaus dk wrote:

This is a very strong and disquiting picture. Technically it is very good, emotionally I find it saddening, maybe because I read more into it than it actually says.

The lipstick sends me off on a sexual tangent, discrepant to the child's age. If that is the story you are trying to tell, it works disconcertingly well.

Yes Klaus you are right,

She is my daughter and have paited herself and love to take pictures... but i try to tell her to don´t emitate the grown ups

I catch this exactly moment for put people thinking... how fast the kids are trying to be grown ups in this madness society.

Cheers,

Pedro

-- hide signature --

jeffcpix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,107
Like?
In reply to pspentax, May 11, 2013

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/pictures/0,,1830504,00.html

"Photographer Jill Greenberg has whipped up a storm of controversy with her new exhibition, End Times. The pictures in the show, for which she deliberately provoked tearful outbursts from children by taking away lollipops she had just given them, have been described by some as tantamount to child abuse."

pspentax
Like?
In reply to jeffcpix, May 11, 2013

jeffcpix wrote:

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/pictures/0,,1830504,00.html

"Photographer Jill Greenberg has whipped up a storm of controversy with her new exhibition, End Times. The pictures in the show, for which she deliberately provoked tearful outbursts from children by taking away lollipops she had just given them, have been described by some as tantamount to child abuse."

The cause or her sadness was i stopped taking pictures of her, she can´t stop taking pictures

Cheers,

Pedro

-- hide signature --

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
In reply to Klaus dk, May 11, 2013

Klaus dk wrote:

Yes.

And the framing is too tight.... (it is croppped within an inch of its life!)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Klaus dk
Like?
In reply to Barrie Davis, May 11, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

Yes.

Thank you.

That is very much open for discussion IMHO. I think the crop emphasizes the sinister mood of the picture.

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Funduro
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
Re: Model sadness...
In reply to pspentax, May 12, 2013

Bravo to the model ! and yes the photog did capture a very unique image too.

-- hide signature --

FYI avatar image is by Steve McCurry

Funduro's gear list:Funduro's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 +11 more
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
In reply to Klaus dk, May 12, 2013

Klaus dk wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

Yes.

Thank you.

That is very much open for discussion IMHO. I think the crop emphasizes the sinister mood of the picture.

To be sinister it needs to be darker.... (IMHO)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Klaus dk
Like?
Poster sadness...
In reply to Barrie Davis, May 12, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

Yes.

Thank you.

To be sinister it needs to be darker.... (IMHO)

The finer nuances of the adjective in question may have escaped me. English is not my first language. It could also be, that sinister does nor necessarily imply darkness.

My point was that the tight crop adds a touch of claustrophobia to the image. The girl is unhappy, smeared in listick unsuitable for her age and has nowhere to go.

Lawrence Keeney
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to pspentax, May 12, 2013

I think the image is fine technically.

It very much reminds me of Jill Greenberg's work which bothers me.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrence Keeney's gear list:Lawrence Keeney's gear list
Olympus E-10 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 +1 more
mbloof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354Gear list
Like?
Suggested Title: "I took her charge card away"
In reply to pspentax, May 13, 2013

Ummm.... when a 'prima-donna' pouts it shows the little girl inside?

(ducking)

-- hide signature --

(insert brag sheet here)
A sampling of my images are in my DPR gallery
Technologist @ Large
- Mark0

mbloof's gear list:mbloof's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +9 more
Fave Photog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?
What I See...
In reply to Klaus dk, May 13, 2013

Klaus dk wrote:

I see nothing sexual about this image at all.

I see a young girl, just like young girls the world over, who wants to be just like her mommy.  And no one will be able to convince this young girl that she didn't do the best job ever in applying the lipstick, or that she doesn't look exactly like mommy.  And no one should try, either.

The actual reason behind her sadness is adorable, and speaks, in part, to the genetic difference between males and females.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

Klaus dk
Like?
Re: What I See...
In reply to Fave Photog, May 13, 2013

Fave Photog wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

I see nothing sexual about this image at all.

I see a young girl, just like young girls the world over, who wants to be just like her mommy.  And no one will be able to convince this young girl that she didn't do the best job ever in applying the lipstick, or that she doesn't look exactly like mommy.  And no one should try, either.

The actual reason behind her sadness is adorable, and speaks, in part, to the genetic difference between males and females.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

In an ideal world your interpretation is the only one. Unfortunately, the world is different. I am relieved the background story was much more innocent than my imagination.

I will readily admit I have a dirty mind, albeit under control. I will also claim that in this respect I am quite average, hence my opening post.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: What I See...
In reply to Fave Photog, May 13, 2013

WOMAN: I sense great vulnerability. A man-child crying out for love, an innocent orphan in the post-modern world.

MAN: I see a parasite, a sexually depraved miscreant who is seeking to gratify only his basest and most immediate urges.

WOMAN: Dirty and unattractive, yet I detect a nobility of attitude, an unwavering loyalty, much like the Saint Bernard.

MAN: But note the eyes. He is a creature barely hanging on to existence, like a cockroach clinging to a sewer grate.

WOMAN: His struggle is man's struggle. He lifts my spirit!

MAN: He is a loathsome, offensive brute -- yet I can't look away.

WOMAN: He transcends time and space.

MAN: He sickens me.

WOMAN: I love it!

MAN: Me too!

-- hide signature --

~ Peano
www.radiantpics.com

pspentax
Like?