Backdrop -muslin? Painted wall?

Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions
Dean Lapinel
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?
Backdrop -muslin? Painted wall?
May 10, 2013

I have been energized and inspired by Paul Croes work. he has moved toward a single directional lighting technique that I enjoy.

I am wondering if anyone here knows if there is a muslin available for sale (in the USA) that has that soft chiseled look rather than the omnipresent rendered clouds that I don't want to use anymore.

His facebook page with the dogs has the more recent shots with the lighting and back drop that I like.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/paul.croes

Any help would be appreciated.

Dean

Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Backdrop -muslin? Painted wall?
In reply to Dean Lapinel, May 10, 2013

Basically he is using or mimicking single point source window light. This light is very soft and if it falls on creases within the backdrop material it is slightly forgiving. Personally I find material backgrounds to be too hard to control without crease shadows. My personal choice is to use a painted wall or hang paper. If its just head shots like this, then the paper doesn't have to be so big..

Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,517
Like?

Dean Lapinel wrote:

I have been energized and inspired by Paul Croes work. he has moved toward a single directional lighting technique that I enjoy.

I am wondering if anyone here knows if there is a muslin available for sale (in the USA) that has that soft chiseled look rather than the omnipresent rendered clouds that I don't want to use anymore.

"Soft chiseled" is a bit of an oxymoron.

There are literally thousands of different muslin backgrounds: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Background+Type_Canvas+%28Light+Stand+Mount%29&ci=16284&N=4037060746+4289246414

Personally, I prefer unpatterned seamless paper.

Brian A

Dean Lapinel
Like?

Any help with this? Would really appreciate a link to a similar background.

Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to Dean Lapinel, May 11, 2013

Well if you got time to look. This place list's 13033 items under 'Backdrops' I just had a quick look at page 522 and their is some seriously trippy ones
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Backgrounds-Backdrops/ci/16284/N/4037060746

Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Dean Lapinel
Like?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, May 11, 2013

Thank you!

I have tried going from low to high but 500 pages is a tough battle. Starting from your point backward I found this;

B&H # WOMR10731010

I think this will work.

Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to Dean Lapinel, May 11, 2013

Dean Lapinel wrote:

Thank you!

I have tried going from low to high but 500 pages is a tough battle. Starting from your point backward I found this;

B&H # WOMR10731010

I think this will work.

garrywatson
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
In reply to Dean Lapinel, May 13, 2013

Hey Dean,

I wouldn’t recommend you a painted wall because that’s a fixed structure that you have to use all the time. Why limit your options by painting a wall? Rather be creative a use different backdrops for different shots. If you are looking for a muslin backdrop, PhotoStudioSupplies would be a great source for you. I bought a printed muslin backdrop from them 2 years ago. Very satisfied with the quality. I also keep receiving their discount coupons, that they give along with their newsletter subscription. Last time I browsed their site, I found a good collection of green screen backdrops, printed backdrops, etc. I am sure you will find whatever you are looking for.

-- hide signature --

Garry Watson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads