Is anyone using a low end Chromebook vs netbook vs tablet?

Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions
gs85739az
Contributing MemberPosts: 625
Like?
Is anyone using a low end Chromebook vs netbook vs tablet?
May 10, 2013

Seems like the Chromebook might be a better "sit on the sofa and surf" gadget than either netbooks or tablets..like the idea of a ..keyboard 4 sure!

What's your opinion?  Tablets look cool, but no one says they like "typing" on one...just wondering,ty

Unit would be used for little more than instant gratification, email, light web surfing...

dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,593
Like?
Re: Is anyone using a low end Chromebook vs netbook vs tablet?
In reply to gs85739az, May 10, 2013

gs85739az wrote:

Seems like the Chromebook might be a better "sit on the sofa and surf" gadget than either netbooks or tablets..like the idea of a ..keyboard 4 sure!

What's your opinion?  Tablets look cool, but no one says they like "typing" on one...just wondering,ty

Unit would be used for little more than instant gratification, email, light web surfing...

I personally don't see much practical difference between a netbook and a chromebook.  I will say that, while I am quite happy with my netbook for what I use it, I would personally rather use a tablet for "sit on the sofa and surf" for a couple reasons.

1) The screen.  Most tablets now a days come with much more high resolution screens than netbooks or chromebooks (the Pixel excluded).  This not only makes things smoother, but you are able to fit more on a single screen and don't need to scroll around as much to see a full web page.

2) The form factor.  The way I sit and surf doesn't really require much typing so the keyboard tends to get more in the way.

But that's just me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nofumble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208
Like?
get a 7" tablet
In reply to gs85739az, May 11, 2013

I don't want to pay for a smartphone, so I found my 7" tablet a very useful tool. In the car, I use it as GPS device, off-line reading. At home, I carry it everywhere from the bed to the bath.

Typing on a tablet ... it is not a serious business.  I rather do that on a full size keyboard (desktop).

There isn't much difference between a Chromebook and a netbook. If you use Chrome browser in your netbook nor PC, you don't miss anything. But I would ditch either device, and wait for the convertible laptop. There is no compromise

photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,686Gear list
Like?
In reply to gs85739az, May 11, 2013

I find tablets kinda useless, I have a netbook which I never used as Acer had the genius idea of endowing it with a slow SSD and Windows XP, which are incompatible... Sort of revived with PeppemintOS Linux but it was a nightmare... A complete hard drive surgery would render it usable again but I don't have the time... What I mean with that preamble is that although I've been burnt before I really like the concept of the Chromebook; it would take (a) some investment in time to work with Google Docs and such and (b) and International keyboard with french and spanish accents at least to make me willing to experiment again - a fully compatible Linux distro like Ubuntu, with an easy to install process would make it almost a no brainer.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,686Gear list
Like?
In reply to photosen, May 12, 2013

Just did another search, it's apparently now much easier to install Ubuntu (via "crouton") on the Chromebook, you can even use Libreoffice, and accent shortcuts are apparenlty possible... All it's missing would be Skype, but it's not a deal breaker for me... I can see where my next spare $250 will be going...

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
adymitruk
Regular MemberPosts: 491Gear list
Like?
In reply to photosen, May 12, 2013

I'm getting the Chromebook Pixel. I like the screen resolution and the fact that it's not Apple.

adymitruk's gear list:adymitruk's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +12 more
CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,187
Like?
Re: Chromebook Pixel
In reply to adymitruk, May 14, 2013

adymitruk wrote:

I'm getting the Chromebook Pixel. I like the screen resolution and the fact that it's not Apple.

Please let us know how it goes. Are you going to install Ubuntu on it, as mentioned above?

I want one of them. Nothing against Apple, but I like Linux.

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,695
Like?
In reply to adymitruk, May 14, 2013

adymitruk wrote:

It has a nice screen, but at $1299 (WiFi-only) or $1449 (WiFi+LTE), I don't think it's a "low end Chromebook" like the OP was asking about.

adymitruk
Like?
In reply to CAcreeks, May 15, 2013

Everything against Apple. Very nasty company. Platforms should be free. But that's just my opinion.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +12 more
adymitruk
Like?
In reply to CAcreeks, May 15, 2013

Yes, I will be installing Ubuntu on it.

adymitruk
Like?
In reply to adymitruk, May 21, 2013

This works wonderfully well with Rawtherapee. The resolution makes it a pleasure to work with photos. And you don't have to buy crApple to do that. I highly recommend this laptop.

adymitruk
Like?
In reply to photosen, May 21, 2013

I was apprehensive, but now that I have it in my hands, the Chromebook is amazing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads