Nikon SB-600 speedlight/D7100 multiple flash firing

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions
toucan
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
Nikon SB-600 speedlight/D7100 multiple flash firing
May 9, 2013

Hope someone can help with the following.... I purchased a used Nikon SB-600 speedlight which I use with  my Nikon D71000. Reading the instructions (Page 38 of the) it indicated that the Speedlight would fire mulptiple flashes in succession if used external to the camera.

I have tried to make this happen attaching the speedlight both via extender cord and using Pocket Wizard MiniTT1 and Flex TT5 remote system. Neither way will give me multiple flash firing.

The SB-600 works otherwise fine. Am I missing something in the camera settings?

-- hide signature --

toucan

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JeffryZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,023
Like?
Re: Nikon SB-600 speedlight/D7100 multiple flash firing
In reply to toucan, May 9, 2013

I could not find anywhere in the manual where it indicated that would work with an SB600.  I think it only works with the built in flash.  I tried unsuccessfully to do that as well. On page 247 it seems to say it might work with an SB400?

"When the optional SB-400 flash unit is attached and turned on, Custom Setting e3 changes to "optional flash", allowing the flash control mode for the SB-400 to be selected from TTL and Manual (Repeating Flash and Commander mode options are not available).

But since the SB400 cannot be used as a commander unit, it seems that Repeating Flash will also not work with that unit since the manual lists those options as "not available".

When I install my SB600 to my D7100, e3 does not change to "Optional Flash" so this option does not seem to be available with this flash unit.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeffryZ
Like?
In reply to JeffryZ, May 9, 2013

On page 38 of the manual (the page you indicate) I see no references to either an external flash or repeating flash.

-- hide signature --
JeffryZ
Like?
In reply to JeffryZ, May 9, 2013

I guess you were refering to the flash manual- not the camera manual.  Continuous flash is not the same as the "repeating flash"  I thought the question refered to (in repeating flash, the flash strobes during the exposure).  Continuous flash firing is (to my understanding) doing a burst of exposures with the flash firing for each exposure- not multiple flashes for each exposure.  Sorry for getting myself confused.

-- hide signature --
blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,519
Like?
In reply to toucan, May 9, 2013

toucan wrote:

Hope someone can help with the following.... I purchased a used Nikon SB-600 speedlight which I use with  my Nikon D71000. Reading the instructions (Page 38 of the) it indicated that the Speedlight would fire mulptiple flashes in succession if used external to the camera.

I have tried to make this happen attaching the speedlight both via extender cord and using Pocket Wizard MiniTT1 and Flex TT5 remote system. Neither way will give me multiple flash firing.

-- hide signature --

toucan

are you in continuous release mode? (is your camera taking pictures in succession?

that page of the manual states the how many shots it fires before it overheats... not modeling light mode or the frame rate... nothing fancy...

toucan
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
In reply to blue_cheese, May 10, 2013

Sorry about the confusion. I do mean repeating flash as in holding down the shutter release to produce more than one flash infused shot.

The shutter mode is on continuous.

Sounds like I might have to step up to a higher model as I am using the flash for bird photography and repeating flash is essential to capture the right shot.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

toucan

blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,519
Like?
In reply to toucan, May 10, 2013

Depending on distance and lighting, for birds I assume that your problem is really the distance so flash is likely doing a near full discharge so the cycle time slows down considerably.

The batteries you use are a big element in the cycle time, consider Ni-MH batteries, even with some of the best are likely looking at 2.5s for a full flash cycle charge, so that comes down to a flash firing at 0.4fps which is abysmal considering the camera fps rate (page 88 of SB600 manual)

If you are not doing full discharge on the flash, then it should be able to keep up for at least a short burst.

JeffryZ
Like?

toucan wrote:

Sorry about the confusion. I do mean repeating flash as in holding down the shutter release to produce more than one flash infused shot.

The shutter mode is on continuous.

Sounds like I might have to step up to a higher model as I am using the flash for bird photography and repeating flash is essential to capture the right shot.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

toucan

I am still not completely clear on the effect you are looking for.  "More than one flash infused shot" sounds to me like a series of shots with the flash going off for each one?  That does work with the SB600 and the D7100. I tried it myself.   Have the camera set to "continuous" shooting and holding down the shutter button will give a burst of shots and the flash should work with each of them for a limited number of pictures (the camera buffer will probably hit its limit before the flash starts to get too warm and shuts itself off to cool).

If the desired effect is to have multiple flashes for a single image, according to the manual the D7100 can only do that with the built in flash.  If this is the case, maybe it would be cheaper to check into some sort of strobe system than a new camera?

-- hide signature --
fireplace33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,501Gear list
Like?

I experimented with exactly that in this thread

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2971630

I used the D90 but I'm pretty sure the D7100 has the same feature.

You use the on camera pop up flash in repeat mode to control an external flash in slave mode.

I used the SB700 remotely in SU-4 "slave mode" for my shots. The SB600 is very similar but does not have that  SU-4 mode!

There is however a workaround,...
you can buy a cheap slave adapter that attaches to the remote SB600 flash hot shoe and gives the SB600 a slave mode. The adapter has a light sensor and when it sees the multiple repeat flashes from the on-camera , it will fire the external flash each time. Of course you have to turn to power of the flash down so it can handle a set of say 5 flashes in a short time. And with the lower power you'll need to place the remote flash closer to the birds.

By the way if the light from the on-camera flash would disturb your shot in any way then you can mask that with another adapter that plugs into the hot shoe (SG-3IR)

Have fun!

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +11 more
fireplace33
Like?
In reply to fireplace33, May 10, 2013

fireplace33 wrote:

you can buy a cheap slave adapter that attaches to the remote SB600 flash hot shoe and gives the SB600 a slave mode. The adapter has a light sensor and when it sees the multiple repeat flashes from the on-camera , it will fire the external flash each time.

here is one example of such a slave adapter,...

http://www.amazon.com/Seagull-SYK-4-Optical-Trigger-Socket/dp/B0028DM1YA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1368221411&sr=8-3&keywords=Seagull+flash+slave+trigger

there are many others avaialble.

Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +11 more
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,328Gear list
Like?

toucan wrote:

-- hide signature --

toucan

just to test, set the flash power to 1/8 power and take a series of shots of the flash. It should fire everytime until it runs out of juice And you will see this in the series of pics.  If you shoot one shot a full power, you will not get another flash until it recharges the capicator.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

fireplace33
Like?
In reply to fireplace33, May 17, 2013

fireplace33 wrote:

I experimented with exactly that in this thread

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2971630

Would be interested to hear if this worked for you with those bird photos,...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads