Adobe subscription/upgrade question?

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions
Mikhail Bogdanov
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,829
Like?
Adobe subscription/upgrade question?
May 9, 2013

Hello Gang!

Please forgive me my ignorance, but I would like to ask a simple question. I'm reading this thread at FX forum  - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51418572  and can't understand a very simple thing. I just got CS6 few months ago (full $#U^^^@@@!!  price!! ouch!!! all other imaginable obscene words would be appropriate here),  and not willing to rent a piece of software. So far ACR plug-in does support my obsolete D300, but what happens if I decide to upgrade the cam? Any ideas whether it would be possible to get a plug-in for a new cam (let's say it would be D400) for a stand-alone version of CS6, or I'll be hooked on this "cloud BS"?

Cheers!

Nikon D300 Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
redhed17
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046
Like?
Re: Adobe subscription/upgrade question?
In reply to Mikhail Bogdanov, May 9, 2013

I wouldn't trust them with anything from now on.

Bbut hold on, that's an Adobe format! Yes, supposedly an open format, but Adobe makes changes to the format over time. Who knows how they'll mess about with that in the future.

If you buy a new camera that isn't compatible at some point you can always convert your brand new RAW files to DNGs to be compatible with your version of ACR.

The ACR in CS6 will be updated to ACR 8 when released, but without the ACR 8's new features. But for how long will the updates last? Who knows

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mikhail Bogdanov
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,829
Like?
Re: Adobe subscription/upgrade question?
In reply to redhed17, May 9, 2013

redhed17 wrote:

I wouldn't trust them with anything from now on.

Bbut hold on, that's an Adobe format! Yes, supposedly an open format, but Adobe makes changes to the format over time. Who knows how they'll mess about with that in the future.

If you buy a new camera that isn't compatible at some point you can always convert your brand new RAW files to DNGs to be compatible with your version of ACR.

The ACR in CS6 will be updated to ACR 8 when released, but without the ACR 8's new features. But for how long will the updates last? Who knows

Thank you for your insights. Hate to sound pathetic, but I  am seriously considering to replace Bible with Orwell's 1984 on my nightstand.

Cheers!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
n057
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,159Gear list
Like?
Re: Adobe subscription/upgrade question?
In reply to Mikhail Bogdanov, May 9, 2013

Mikhail Bogdanov wrote:

Thank you for your insights. Hate to sound pathetic, but I  am seriously considering to replace Bible with Orwell's 1984 on my nightstand.

Cheers!

Did you just say "Bibble"? At the time when I started using Linux instead of Windows, Adobe was preparing a version of Photoshop for Linux, but changed their mind. I used The Gimp, that comes with Linux. When Lightroom came about, Bibble was the only decent alternative for Linux users. Screenshots look similar to Lightroom, but I can't compare, not running Windows. Bibble was available for Linux, Macintosh and Windows.

A little more than a year ago, Bibble got bought by Corel, and was rebadged as Corel AftershotPro, still available in Linux, Macintosh and Windows versions. It is inexpensive, comes with a 30 day free trial. Give it a whirl .

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

 n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Solomon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,734
Like?
Re: Adobe subscription/upgrade question?
In reply to Mikhail Bogdanov, May 9, 2013

I was a marketing director for a software company for 15 years. Software has routinely been sold with a perpetual license. This works for both the seller and buyer of software, until markets mature become saturated with product and the software becomes bloated with features. Then there are less new customers, and previous customers lack real incentives to upgrade. 
These conditions are happening with most software, coincidentally at about the same time. Software producers are attempting to change their selling paradigm. They no longer want to be in the business of selling perpetual licenses. They want instead to rent you your software, and control your access to it through "the cloud." So you will be inundated with pitches on how this new way of getting your software is good for you. 
It is not good for you. There is nothing about it that is good for you. It is only good for them. It turns them into a utility like the cable company. Don't go willingly. If they find that they can not pull it off and have to retreat back to selling perpetual licenses. You will win. You loose when you rent. You will pay for the same software over, and over again.

Regards,

Sol

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mikhail Bogdanov
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,829
Like?
Re: Adobe subscription/upgrade question?
In reply to Solomon, May 9, 2013

Solomon wrote:

It is not good for you. There is nothing about it that is good for you. It is only good for them.

So, in very simple words this means " No more sex for Charlie?" (C)

That's very sad....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bflood
Contributing MemberPosts: 537
Like?
Re: Adobe subscription/upgrade question?
In reply to Mikhail Bogdanov, May 9, 2013

Adobe already cuts off users from camera upgrade support.  Until now, they will support the current version and the previous one, which means if you get a new camera and it has a newer NEF file, you could get a patch from Adobe to be able to read the newer files.  If they deem your version to be out of date, they will not offer a patch to allow reading files from newer generation cameras. That forces you into finding another way to read the files if you still want to use CS6.  Nikon cameras come with a disk with ViewNX2 on it, and it will be able to read the camera's NEF files and write them as TIF and other format files.  It's a bit of a nuisance to have to do this, but it will work.

I have CS4, and when I got my D7000 a year ago, Adobe would not provide a patch to allow me to open its NEF files - they told me to buy an upgraded version of CS.  So I use ViewNX2.  Bummer that Bridge isn't useful to me any more, but that's the way Adobe wants it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Adobe RAW conversion and export to file and import to PS6
In reply to Mikhail Bogdanov, May 9, 2013

Mikhail Bogdanov wrote:

Hello Gang!

Please forgive me my ignorance, but I would like to ask a simple question. I'm reading this thread at FX forum  - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51418572  and can't understand a very simple thing. I just got CS6 few months ago (full $#U^^^@@@!!  price!! ouch!!! all other imaginable obscene words would be appropriate here),  and not willing to rent a piece of software. So far ACR plug-in does support my obsolete D300, but what happens if I decide to upgrade the cam? Any ideas whether it would be possible to get a plug-in for a new cam (let's say it would be D400) for a stand-alone version of CS6, or I'll be hooked on this "cloud BS"?

Cheers!

One alternative to keep your PS6 working as it needs for new cameras in future, is to get a third party RAW converter or Nikon RAW converter, use those for RAW files, then export as a TIF and import to PS6 as a TIF and bingo you are good.

Advantages of Nikon Raw -

-Nikon will have to sell / give a RAW converter with their cameras and update for new cameras. Simple, they cant sell a hunk of metal and electronics and the consumer cant process photos. So, point one for using Nikon RAW conversion.

- Profiles already automatically in photos by their own RAW converter, so things remain 'true' when you import. Then you export the 'already corrected' file as a TIF for use by PS6. Saves profiling hassle. Score two for Nikon software.

Advantages of free software like RAW Therapee (version 4 just came out):

- its free!!!!!

- seem to have plenty of adjustment tools and good output (RAW Therapee 4 is impressive)

Take your choice, but your PS6 module is safe for now. Some mention that an operating system upgrade on a computer may make it not work in some years...maybe, but I cant comment on that.

Take Care.

-- hide signature --

Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

 Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leon Wittwer
Forum ProPosts: 12,816
Like?
Re: Adobe subscription/upgrade question?
In reply to Solomon, May 9, 2013

Yes, I agree with you.  Unfortunately, there seems to be no alternative.  Either businesses make enough to support their people and maybe some profit, or they will go out of business and we will no  longer have access to various software packages.  If we want it, we do have to pay for it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Adobe RAW conversion and export to file and import to PS6
In reply to Bajerunner, May 9, 2013

Bajerunner wrote:

Mikhail Bogdanov wrote:

Hello Gang!

Please forgive me my ignorance, but I would like to ask a simple question. I'm reading this thread at FX forum  - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51418572  and can't understand a very simple thing. I just got CS6 few months ago (full $#U^^^@@@!!  price!! ouch!!! all other imaginable obscene words would be appropriate here),  and not willing to rent a piece of software. So far ACR plug-in does support my obsolete D300, but what happens if I decide to upgrade the cam? Any ideas whether it would be possible to get a plug-in for a new cam (let's say it would be D400) for a stand-alone version of CS6, or I'll be hooked on this "cloud BS"?

Cheers!

One alternative to keep your PS6 working as it needs for new cameras in future, is to get a third party RAW converter or Nikon RAW converter, use those for RAW files, then export as a TIF and import to PS6 as a TIF and bingo you are good.

Advantages of Nikon Raw -

-Nikon will have to sell / give a RAW converter with their cameras and update for new cameras. Simple, they cant sell a hunk of metal and electronics and the consumer cant process photos. So, point one for using Nikon RAW conversion.

- Profiles already automatically in photos by their own RAW converter, so things remain 'true' when you import. Then you export the 'already corrected' file as a TIF for use by PS6. Saves profiling hassle. Score two for Nikon software.

Advantages of free software like RAW Therapee (version 4 just came out):

- its free!!!!!

- seem to have plenty of adjustment tools and good output (RAW Therapee 4 is impressive)

Take your choice, but your PS6 module is safe for now. Some mention that an operating system upgrade on a computer may make it not work in some years...maybe, but I cant comment on that.

Take Care.

-- hide signature --

Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

By they way, Nikon VewNX is also free. Should  be able to export as TIF file from that too, have not checked.

-- hide signature --

Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

 Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael
Contributing MemberPosts: 992Gear list
Like?
Re: Adobe subscription/upgrade question?
In reply to Solomon, May 9, 2013

Solomon wrote:

I was a marketing director for a software company for 15 years. Software has routinely been sold with a perpetual license. This works for both the seller and buyer of software, until markets mature become saturated with product and the software becomes bloated with features. Then there are less new customers, and previous customers lack real incentives to upgrade. 
These conditions are happening with most software, coincidentally at about the same time. Software producers are attempting to change their selling paradigm. They no longer want to be in the business of selling perpetual licenses. They want instead to rent you your software, and control your access to it through "the cloud." So you will be inundated with pitches on how this new way of getting your software is good for you. 
It is not good for you. There is nothing about it that is good for you. It is only good for them. It turns them into a utility like the cable company. Don't go willingly. If they find that they can not pull it off and have to retreat back to selling perpetual licenses. You will win. You loose when you rent. You will pay for the same software over, and over again.

Regards,

Sol

> If they find that they can not pull it off and have to retreat back to selling perpetual licenses.<

Adobe  CC   May be the  NEW   COKE ,LOL

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
redhed17
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046
Like?
Re: Adobe subscription/upgrade question?
In reply to bflood, May 9, 2013

bflood wrote:

I have CS4, and when I got my D7000 a year ago, Adobe would not provide a patch to allow me to open its NEF files - they told me to buy an upgraded version of CS.  So I use ViewNX2.  Bummer that Bridge isn't useful to me any more, but that's the way Adobe wants it.

You could have converted your D7000 RAW files to DNGs and continued to use ACR in CS4. Yes, you are converting to an Adobe file format, but ACR is a much better RAW editor than any Nikon software imho.

And there are free alternatives like Rawtherapee, which has been mentioned. The only benefit to using Nikon software is that it will apply all the in camera setting correctly. I set my camera up with pretty flat setting to give me a more accurate Histogram, so having the software replicate how a Jpeg would look straight out of the camera is of little use to me. ACRs editing options are more useful  to me. For now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lac111
Senior MemberPosts: 2,772Gear list
Like?
Re: Adobe subscription/upgrade question?
In reply to Mikhail Bogdanov, May 9, 2013

Lots of us are in this same dilemma. I'm currently still using CS5 and will have to decide if I will upgrade to CS6 before June 13. Another option not mentioned for dealing with RAW files is to give Adobe more of your money and buy LR to convert RAW files to Tiff or even work on the RAW files before sending to CS6. It can be integrated with CS6 and supposedly has a much better method of organizing photos. Something else I am considering, though it seems LR5 is on the verge of being released, beta is already out. You can get LR4 for $30 off for a a few more days, or wait for LR5. Decisions, decisions.............

-- hide signature --

Lora
Profile is wrong, I've been on Dpreview since June 2006.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugh Robateau
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
Re: Adobe RAW conversion and export to file and import to PS6
In reply to Bajerunner, May 9, 2013

Bajerunner wrote:

Mikhail Bogdanov wrote:

Hello Gang!

Please forgive me my ignorance, but I would like to ask a simple question. I'm reading this thread at FX forum  - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51418572  and can't understand a very simple thing. I just got CS6 few months ago (full $#U^^^@@@!!  price!! ouch!!! all other imaginable obscene words would be appropriate here),  and not willing to rent a piece of software. So far ACR plug-in does support my obsolete D300, but what happens if I decide to upgrade the cam? Any ideas whether it would be possible to get a plug-in for a new cam (let's say it would be D400) for a stand-alone version of CS6, or I'll be hooked on this "cloud BS"?

Cheers!

One alternative to keep your PS6 working as it needs for new cameras in future, is to get a third party RAW converter or Nikon RAW converter, use those for RAW files, then export as a TIF and import to PS6 as a TIF and bingo you are good.

Advantages of Nikon Raw -

-Nikon will have to sell / give a RAW converter with their cameras and update for new cameras. Simple, they cant sell a hunk of metal and electronics and the consumer cant process photos. So, point one for using Nikon RAW conversion.

- Profiles already automatically in photos by their own RAW converter, so things remain 'true' when you import. Then you export the 'already corrected' file as a TIF for use by PS6. Saves profiling hassle. Score two for Nikon software.

Advantages of free software like RAW Therapee (version 4 just came out):

- its free!!!!!

- seem to have plenty of adjustment tools and good output (RAW Therapee 4 is impressive)

Take your choice, but your PS6 module is safe for now. Some mention that an operating system upgrade on a computer may make it not work in some years...maybe, but I cant comment on that.

Take Care.

-- hide signature --

Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

That's exactly what I have been doing like since forever. Never used Camera Raw or Lightroom for conversion so I skipped many Photoshop versions. After all, for most photographers a lot of PS features are overkill. Just use a third party converter and then export to your preferred version of PS.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,371
Like?
Link to thread regarding plug-in compatibiliy with non-Adobe editors...
In reply to Mikhail Bogdanov, May 9, 2013

There is an interesting thread going on over on the Retouching forum about plug-in compatibly with non-Adobe editors.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51419936

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bflood
Contributing MemberPosts: 537
Like?
Re: Adobe subscription/upgrade question?
In reply to redhed17, May 9, 2013

I know there are alternatives for reading Nikon RAW files, but I haven't invested any time into checking them out (we amateurs are like that).  When I got the D7000 and tried to open the first files in CS4, CS4 couldn't do anything with them. I checked at Adobe online for a suitable patch and found none, so I called them. I was politely informed there isn't any way to open a D7000 file in CS4 and there won't be - I needed to buy the newest version - would I like to use a credit card for that?

Major turn off to abandon customers like that.  Digital Equipment built themselves into the dominant mini-computer company in the 70s and early 80s and adopted the same approach - keep buying a never-ending string of updates or get disconnected from all service. During the first really big boom in computers in this country they managed to ride that approach into extinction. Adobe has created for themselves the opportunity to do the same.

I started using the ViewNX2 that came with the camera because ...  well, it came with the camera.  It allows a simple output of a file in 8 or 16 bit TIF, so I used it.  Months later, Santa gave me a copy of PS Elements 11, which opens the D7000 files nicely.  If it gets to be obsolete in some fashion, I'll be looking at non-Adobe products for a replacement.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads