D600 arrived today...

Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions
opusone
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?
D600 arrived today...
May 8, 2013

After  much anguish over dust/oil  hoo-ha I'd read here and all over the net, I just went with the more positive reports and my own past positive experiences with Nikon over 20 years and ordered from B&H.

Did the recommended sky shot test for potential dirty sensor problems and found only one odd, small but very dark bit that appeared in the lower center. That was gone with a couple of whiffs from a Giotto bulb blower. No corner or other dust bits or signs of oil and no wet cleaning/swabs etc. needed...as yet.

Bought with 32 & 16 GB SanDisk Extreme SDHC-1, 300X cards, extra battery and ML-L3 remote.

Will get to first shooting tomorrow as I'm resting a bad knee and will post further experiences as I go.

Thanks to all those who convinced me to go for it!

All the best,

opusone/b

opusone's gear list:opusone's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,577Gear list
Like?
Congratulations
In reply to opusone, May 9, 2013

Wish you lots of great pictures.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Colorado CJ
Regular MemberPosts: 484
Like?
Re: D600 arrived today...

You're going to be blown away by the dynamic range and depth the D600 has.  I don't want to shoot with anything else since I got mine.

Nikon2011
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?

congrats enjoy

Nikon2011's gear list:Nikon2011's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
In reply to Colorado CJ, May 9, 2013

Colorado CJ wrote:

You're going to be blown away by the dynamic range and depth the D600 has.  I don't want to shoot with anything else since I got mine.

+1

You will get a happy smile when you see the brilliant images, and again when you peep closer.

Even my 30 y/o AIs glass never looked better.

PhotosByBlueRidge
Regular MemberPosts: 193Gear list
Like?
In reply to Prairie Pal, May 9, 2013

awesome.. now lets see some photos

-- hide signature --

BlueRidge
www.photosbyblueridge.com

PhotosByBlueRidge's gear list:PhotosByBlueRidge's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Nikon D600
eths
Contributing MemberPosts: 768Gear list
Like?
 eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
leicaman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,413
Like?

Looks like you got a gooden....

Congrats.  It is a great camera when it6's a good example.

jY h
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
In reply to Colorado CJ, May 9, 2013

I was in the same boat as you.   I went ahead and ordered a D600.  I received it last week and have been very happy. This camera's IQ is amazing!

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,164Gear list
Like?

Ah, Bart. You finally bit! I am sure you will produce wonderful images with the D600 . . . and wonderful prints. I am sure you will appreciate the camera as it does so much so well. I had the D800 before the D600 and decided the D600 would be my choice. With some gentle resampling it can print tack sharp 24" x 36" prints. Marvelous resolution and wonderful DR. Your "filters" will love it.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51435342

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
opusone
Like?
Thanks Steve....
In reply to Steve Bingham, May 9, 2013

Yes, I  did it. After all, anyone can can clean a sensor when the time comes. I never got a dud from Nikon before. And I do value your experience and opinions.

First test shots look good and I will post images once I've got something of quality to share.

Smiles!

Bart

Nikon D700 Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
overniteman
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?
D600
In reply to opusone, May 10, 2013

Enjoy your new toy!!!

opusone
Like?
New D600 UPDATE

Day Two after about a dozen frames the first two spots -small ones but clearly visible - appeared on the sensor. This time the blower did not get them off.

Time to order that Copper Hill cleaning kit.

bobgeorge
Contributing MemberPosts: 587Gear list
Like?

opusone wrote:

After  much anguish over dust/oil  hoo-ha I'd read here and all over the net, I just went with the more positive reports and my own past positive experiences with Nikon over 20 years and ordered from B&H.

Did the recommended sky shot test for potential dirty sensor problems and found only one odd, small but very dark bit that appeared in the lower center. That was gone with a couple of whiffs from a Giotto bulb blower. No corner or other dust bits or signs of oil and no wet cleaning/swabs etc. needed...as yet.

Bought with 32 & 16 GB SanDisk Extreme SDHC-1, 300X cards, extra battery and ML-L3 remote.

Will get to first shooting tomorrow as I'm resting a bad knee and will post further experiences as I go.

Thanks to all those who convinced me to go for it!

All the best,

opusone/b

Congrats. My D600 came in the mail today. Charging the battery now & will probably take some photos tomorrow :}

-- hide signature --

BobGeorge
--------------
Nikon D600
Nkon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro

bobgeorge's gear list:bobgeorge's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
frank-in-toronto
Contributing MemberPosts: 959
Like?
Re: New D600 UPDATE

opusone wrote:

Day Two after about a dozen frames the first two spots -small ones but clearly visible - appeared on the sensor. This time the blower did not get them off.

Time to order that Copper Hill cleaning kit.

oh oh.

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,164Gear list
Like?
Bart, something to consider.
In reply to Steve Bingham, May 11, 2013

Bart, here is what I did - you might want to try this also. Although most of my shooting is in the f8 range, sometimes I shoot at smaller apertures for greater DOF. So I looked through my old D700 files (FX) to find some raw files. I easily found about a dozen that I could inspect that were at f16 and one at f18. At 100% the dust spots were not very visible but they were there. So then I did what I frequently do, I used a Nik Color Efex Pro filter called the  Tonal Contrast filter at default values . . . and saw 13 dust specs stand out in the dark blue sky - and even more with dark clouds. I had not noticed them before. When I print large, however, I always check for these sort of things - and clone out or use the Spot Healing Brush - takes mere seconds. Of course I always took precautions with the D700 and used my Rocket Blower (large version) frequently.

Is my D600 more dust prone than my old D700? I don't think so. I just think we are looking harder and expecting to find! You might want to check some of YOUR old f16 files?

Anyway, looking forward to some of your spectacular landscapes.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads