Is it better for me to shoot JPEG as opposed to RAW if I dont do any PP?

Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,654Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it better for me to shoot JPEG as opposed to RAW if I dont do any PP?
In reply to mfait, May 10, 2013

mfait wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

You can extract the embedded JPEGs from a batch of raw files (the same JPEGs you would have got if you shot raw+JPEG),

Not true on my XSi and probably not true on most dSLR's.

RAW+JPG give me a 12 MP JPG file.  However the JPG image embedded in the RAW file is about 3 MP.

Right! I was thinking of the 60D.

So... you can extract a low-res JPEG from the raw file, which is plenty good enough for evaluation and sharing.

-- hide signature --

Check out the unofficial Rebel Talk FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WilbaW
Like?
No I didn't
In reply to jayrandomer, May 10, 2013

jayrandomer wrote:

mfait wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

You can extract the embedded JPEGs from a batch of raw files (the same JPEGs you would have got if you shot raw+JPEG),

RAW+JPG give me a 12 MP JPG file.  However the JPG image embedded in the RAW file is about 3 MP.

With DPP you should be able to generate the same JPEG that you would have generated in camera from the raw file, assuming you match the settings in your camera.  You also have the opportunity to develop something you like better than what you would have with the camera.

That's true but it's not what I meant. 

RAW+JPEG saves you from having to do that RAW conversion, but that's about it.

That's true too. 

-- hide signature --

WilbaW
Like?
Re: What I don't understand is the reluctance to use PP software to alter an image.
In reply to DSHAPK, May 10, 2013

DSHAPK wrote:

Because there are times I don't need raw. I bought the best camera to have a choice. The t4i with its digic 5 processor produces great jpgs. Why should I post process when the camera gets it right 99% of the time?

Do you have home insurance? Why not save your money when your house is not going to burn down on 99.999% of days?

It all depends on your definition of "right". I bet yours is different to mine, and that's okay, but no-one can insist that their "right" is good enough or necessary for every other photographer.

I'm an amateur taking amateur photos, not a pro shooting a wedding. Why download hundreds of 18 meg files, if not needed?

Yeah, use the format that meets your needs.

I think you've answered a different question to the one Oilman asked.

-- hide signature --

scrup
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
Re: Personal Preference Really
In reply to Smiller4128, May 10, 2013

It depends on what I shoot. If they are important images that are keepers then I will shoot in RAW. If they are random images for other people they will be in JPG. Most of my friends don't want to deal with software and conversion.

RAW is like the negative and JPG is like the print.

RAW images are just more forgiving when it comes to PP.

It is a little bit like filter and no filter debate.

scrup's gear list:scrup's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS M
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,396Gear list
Like?
Re: What I don't understand is the reluctance to use PP software to alter an image.
In reply to WilbaW, May 10, 2013

WilbaW wrote:

It all depends on your definition of "right". I bet yours is different to mine, and that's okay, but no-one can insist that their "right" is good enough or necessary for every other photographer.

+1

I've gotta agree with you here WilbaW.... (aaaargh!) 

I've been doing this a long long time, and I've never met an image I couldn't tweak a bit to "improve" (ie adjust to better suit my vision).

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
jayrandomer
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
The embedded JPEG isn't necessarily the JPEG you'd get from the camera
In reply to Olga Johnson, May 10, 2013

Olga Johnson wrote:

jayrandomer wrote:

mfait wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

Smiller4128 wrote:

am I still better off shooting RAW?

Unless you're perfectly happy with what you get out of the camera and that's all you'll ever need, you're always better off shooting raw. You can extract the embedded JPEGs from a batch of raw files (the same JPEGs you would have got if you shot raw+JPEG),

With DPP you should be able to generate the same JPEG that you would have generated in camera from the raw file, assuming you match the settings in your camera.  You also have the opportunity to develop something you like better than what you would have with the camera.

RAW+JPEG saves you from having to do that RAW conversion, but that's about it.

He does not mean "develop".  There is always a JPG embedded in a raw file.

-- hide signature --

Olga

but it's possible to develop that exact JPEG from the RAW.  That's what I thought he meant.  You are right in that not being what he meant, but what he meant was wrong, at least for some cameras.

demarren 123
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,520Gear list
Like?
In reply to paparios, May 10, 2013

paparios wrote:

paparios wrote:

Smiller4128 wrote:

I don't really believe in using any PP software to alter an image too much. If I do, it's to lighten/darken certain parts of an image or to enhance the color a tad if it's been brought down by haze and such. I'm wondering though if maybe I'm better off using JPEG as opposed to RAW since the camera will automatically makes adjustments to the image? Or am I still better off shooting RAW?

Well, sometimes it helps,.....a lot. In the example below, one friend used my camera to take a picture, without adjusting the exposure (the camera was in manual). Using RAW and Lightroom 4.2, I was able to adjust the exposure (by 4.3 stops) and get  at least a viewable result.

Miguel

Another example, this time with High ISO. The original without PP, using DPP. The second processed through Lightroom.

Miguel

Yes but you can do this with JPG to.lightroom have A white balance picker.

It is just A white balance problem you corrected.

-- hide signature --

My English is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D90,Nikon D3200 Samsung NX100 Fuji X10
Sony Nex3 Sony nex5n Sony hx100V
______

demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Olympus E-10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D70s +7 more
WilbaW
Like?
In reply to R2D2, May 10, 2013

R2D2 wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

+1

I've gotta agree with you here WilbaW.... (aaaargh!) 

Go on, you know you want to. 

I've been doing this a long long time, and I've never met an image I couldn't tweak a bit to "improve" (ie adjust to better suit my vision.

Right, vision - I don't know what that is until I manipulate the image in the raw converter.

-- hide signature --

WilbaW
Like?
Re: The embedded JPEG isn't necessarily the JPEG you'd get from the camera
In reply to jayrandomer, May 10, 2013

jayrandomer wrote:

... what he meant was wrong, at least for some cameras.

That's a bit negative. Can we agree that it's not true for all cameras? 

-- hide signature --

jayrandomer
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
I'll go further
In reply to WilbaW, May 10, 2013

WilbaW wrote:

jayrandomer wrote:

... what he meant was wrong, at least for some cameras.

That's a bit negative. Can we agree that it's not true for all cameras? 

-- hide signature --

I'd say it's effectively true for all cameras, but not exactly true for some

Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,320Gear list
Like?
In reply to demarren 123, May 10, 2013

demarren 123 wrote:

paparios wrote:

paparios wrote:

Smiller4128 wrote:

I don't really believe in using any PP software to alter an image too much. If I do, it's to lighten/darken certain parts of an image or to enhance the color a tad if it's been brought down by haze and such. I'm wondering though if maybe I'm better off using JPEG as opposed to RAW since the camera will automatically makes adjustments to the image? Or am I still better off shooting RAW?

Well, sometimes it helps,.....a lot. In the example below, one friend used my camera to take a picture, without adjusting the exposure (the camera was in manual). Using RAW and Lightroom 4.2, I was able to adjust the exposure (by 4.3 stops) and get  at least a viewable result.

Miguel

Another example, this time with High ISO. The original without PP, using DPP. The second processed through Lightroom.

Miguel

-- hide signature --

______

Yes, but sometimes the jpg is so much off, that too much information is lost. With RAW you have much more headroom.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Klaus dk
Like?
In reply to scrup, May 10, 2013

scrup wrote:

It depends on what I shoot. If they are important images that are keepers then I will shoot in RAW. If they are random images for other people they will be in JPG. Most of my friends don't want to deal with software and conversion.

Sometimes you don't know it's a keeper until you have processed it. Shoot in RAW+JPEG. Only give JPEGs to your friends.

So why not? Memory cards are not that expensive, really?

I don't agree. If the filter has introduced flare or blur, it might be impossible to get rid of and if the JPEGs are beyond repair, you can't recreate the RAW files. If you are satisfied with the JPEGs, you can throw away the RAW files.

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,176Gear list
Like?
Custom White Balance - Why Not "LEARN" to shoot right the 1st time?

demarren 123 wrote:

paparios wrote:

Miguel

Call me traditional, but I prefer the FILM METHOD - get it right the the 1st time!

You don't need RAW, you don't need photoshop.  Learn to use Custom White Balance, get it right the 1st time.  In the old days, people are more careful with their exposure/WB balance/ and composition.  Today, all we have is lazy shooter who fixed everything Photoshop.  Theser are not photographer, just software manipulator.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Klaus dk
Like?
Re: Custom White Balance - Why Not "LEARN" to shoot right the 1st time?
In reply to 007peter, May 10, 2013

007peter wrote:

Call me traditional, but I prefer the FILM METHOD - get it right the the 1st time!

You don't need RAW, you don't need photoshop.  Learn to use Custom White Balance, get it right the 1st time.  In the old days, people are more careful with their exposure/WB balance/ and composition.  Today, all we have is lazy shooter who fixed everything Photoshop.  Theser are not photographer, just software manipulator.

You have strong opinions. They need both a spellcheck and a raincheck.

DSHAPK
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?
Re: Custom White Balance - Why Not "LEARN" to shoot right the 1st time?
In reply to 007peter, May 10, 2013

Actually I agree with this thought. Id rather have wb correct going in than to correct a multitude of pictures.

DSHAPK's gear list:DSHAPK's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +3 more
DSHAPK
Like?
In reply to Klaus dk, May 10, 2013

Klaus dk wrote:

scrup wrote:

Sometimes you don't know it's a keeper until you have processed it. Shoot in RAW+JPEG. Only give JPEGs to your friends.

So why not? Memory cards are not that expensive, really?

I don't agree. If the filter has introduced flare or blur, it might be impossible to get rid of and if the JPEGs are beyond repair, you can't recreate the RAW files. If you are satisfied with the JPEGs, you can throw away the RAW files.

it is personal preference. After shooting with the rebel line for over two years now, Im almost at the point I can set the camera to get my intended picture. I have a very good sense when to use raw for later processing and when it is unnecessary. I haven't lost a "keeper" shot in a while, but that does go with experience.

Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +3 more
Klaus dk
Like?
Because sh*t happens!
In reply to DSHAPK, May 10, 2013

DSHAPK wrote:

Actually I agree with this thought. Id rather have wb correct going in than to correct a multitude of pictures.

I'm no different. I prefer to have everything correct in camera and I have no desire to waste time using whatever software to make up for bad exposure or WB. No way.

Most of my pictures are exposed in manual mode because I use studio strobes for them.

I have no desire to burn down the house, get robbed or be killed. But I have insurance nonetheless, and I urge my friends to have insurance too. Because sh*t happens.

paparios
Regular MemberPosts: 428Gear list
Like?

demarren 123 wrote:

paparios wrote:

paparios wrote:

Smiller4128 wrote:

Miguel

Miguel

-- hide signature --

______

Well, actually no. If you check the exif of the picture, it was taken with the XTi at ISO3200, which means a lot of noise to control besides the WB.

While it is true that a JPG image can also be processed with good results, the processing of the JPG file (as opposed to using the RAW file) will produce some artifacts which are easy to see.

But more important to me is the fact that these PP tools are continuously being improved and produce outstanding results when applied to old pictures. I have used mainly DPP and Lightroom, since 2007, to process my pictures and I have found that a RAW picture originally processed with DPP in 2008, when I revisit it with the last version of Lightroom (or  DPP) the result is so much improved, like you have taken the frame with a different camera.

paparios's gear list:paparios's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +13 more
DSHAPK
Like?
Re: Because sh*t happens!

Klaus dk wrote:

DSHAPK wrote:

I'm no different. I prefer to have everything correct in camera and I have no desire to waste time using whatever software to make up for bad exposure or WB. No way.

Most of my pictures are exposed in manual mode because I use studio strobes for them.

I have no desire to burn down the house, get robbed or be killed. But I have insurance nonetheless, and I urge my friends to have insurance too. Because sh*t happens.

Yes, stuff happens. But I have appropriate protections against stuff happening based on the degree of loss. Where I don't feel there is a loss,I have no protections.

i can apply this analogy to my picture tafamily as well. Not every shot I take is Ansel Adams, sometimes I just like taking a snap and it is what it is.

demarren 123
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,520Gear list
Like?

Klaus dk wrote:

demarren 123 wrote:

paparios wrote:

paparios wrote:

Smiller4128 wrote:

Miguel

Miguel

-- hide signature --

______

Yes, but sometimes the jpg is so much off, that too much information is lost. With RAW you have much more headroom.

I totally agree if you print big,otherwise I see no reason to do so.

I also agree that you want to shoot raw.however I am not one of them.

I find raw to cumbersome but hey everyone is deference.

happy shooting

-- hide signature --

______

demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Olympus E-10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D70s +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads