Horizontal light stand?

Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions
Argentus
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Horizontal light stand?
May 8, 2013

Hello. I wanted to know if anybody knew of accesories for conventional vertical light stands so to convert them into a C-stand. I am trying to place speedlights (with umbrellas or softboxes) right above faces or products. Do you happen to know if Lastolite or other companies sell anything like that? Best

Zalafoto USA
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
Re: Horizontal light stand?
In reply to Argentus, May 8, 2013

I don't think there is any boom arm add-on exist for regular light stands. The boom arms are usually attached to a light stands. Those light stands are much sturdier, because they must handle forces better than the regular stands. There is a Baby Boom arm thing from Alien Bee, but that thing is only about a foot long. If you have two light stands, you can get a backdrop holder. You may attach each end to a lightstand, place light on horizontal part. To balance that setup may take a lot longer than to adjust a boom that was made for this type of situations.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,708
Like?
In reply to Argentus, May 8, 2013

Hi,

There are items like this Interfit light boom arm with Wt & adaptor:

http://www.karlu.com/interfit-section-boom-arm-p-8370.html

Do not use them with the lightest category of light stand - the light stand needs to be medium wt or preferably heavy. Loosening the adaptor 'frees up' everything simultaneously - including the height of the adaptor on the lightstand itself. You will trap your fingers!

Consider items from a category above. Possibly:

http://www.smick.co.uk/sonline/lightstands-and-supports/multi-purpose-boom-arm.html

Just food for thought. Good luck!

drh681
Forum ProPosts: 11,034
Like?
In reply to Argentus, May 9, 2013

http://www.manfrotto.us/3-piece-black-boom-assembly-w-10-lb-counterweight-65-long

I have a shorter, lighter version, but I did not find it on the site.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

Argentus
Like?

Thanks people. Really helpful. Best!

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,182Gear list
Like?

With regular light stands the legs collapse and fold up.  With C stands the legs are elbow shaped and ridged.  C stands are typically heavier and capable of holding heavier light rigs.

Regular light stand

B&H - Impact Air-cushioned Light Stand (Black, 8')

With C stands the legs are elbow shaped and ridged.  C stands are typically heavier and capable of holding heavier light rigs.

C stand

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/372016-REG/Impact_CT40MKIT_Master_Century_C_Stand.html

You can get a boom arm for either type of stand, but a C stand is better because it is more stable since it is heavier. With a boom arm you want to counter weight the boom so that the weight of the lighting rig doesn't pull over the stand.  Even with a C stand be sure to use plenty of sand bags on the base of the stand to make it even more stable.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
historianx
Contributing MemberPosts: 854
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, May 9, 2013

What SB said.  Plus it's easier to sandbag a C-stand's legs than a conventional light stand.  I like the Avengers, they are beastly H/D stands, I have two of them in my studio, and two Avenger booms 40" and 84" inch, and use them for everything from suspending hair lights to hanging clothes.

jeffcpix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,020
Like?
In reply to historianx, May 11, 2013

Any boom can tip over any stand -- just a matter of how it's balanced. Sandbags, water weights, shopping bags filled with soup cans...

Real C-stands are heavy and not very portable. They stow away nicely because they fold flat, but they won't work if you carry your stands in a 'golf club'  type bag.

For portability, I like

http://www.lowel.com/stands.html

Obviously, the bigger and heavier, the less likely they'll be to tip over or collapse.

To make a boom arm, use:

KG -- grip

Weight: 1.75 lbs (794 g)
This versatile heavy-duty clamp attaches to stands, poles, pipes, 2" x 4"s etc. to support lights with Interlink, or Double Male Stud; makes a boom out of Stand and Pole; works with Space Clamp, Maxa-mount. Tilts 180°; pans 360° and locks securely. 
US List Price: $55.50
Code: KG

-- hide signature --

-------------------------------------------

Full Pole

Code: KP
Max. Height: 6.6' (2 m)
Folded Length: 34" (89 cm)
Min. Tube Diameter / Max. Tube Diameter: 7/8" (2.2 cm) / 1 1/8" (2.9 cm)
Weight: 1.75 lbs (.8 kg)
Legs/Number of Risers: 2 Risers (3 sections).
U.S. List Price: $70.50 
Recommended Uses & Notes:Extend KS, Grand Stand. Forms: boom, background support, rigs. Updated with extra section & additional length for added security when used at original length.

-------------------------------------------

Half Pole

Code: KPH
Max. Height: 3' (91 cm)
Folded Length: 18" (46 cm)
Min. Tube Diameter / Max. Tube Diameter: 7/8" (2.2 cm) / 1 1/8" (2.9 cm)
Weight: 1.1 lbs (.5 kg)
Legs/Number of Risers: 2 Risers (3 sections).
U.S. List Price: $57.00

---------------------------------
Counter weights should always be used. A disadvantage of the Lowel poles is that when loosened for extension, the 'core' rotates -- be careful. And don't overtighten the KG grip on the pole -- they'll get deformed.

Add an Interlink to the end of the pole and you've got a nice place to hang a counterweight.

Interlink

Code: K1-10
Weight: 1.75 lbs (794 g)
Interconnects various Lowel components. Adds multiple mounting positions; joins two Lowel Poles (male or female ends) in a straight line or at right angles (90°). Both studs are removable and have a 1/4-20 threaded hole to simplify mounting accessories with 1/4-20 bolts.
US List Price: $32.50

----------------------------------

I've used the Lowel stuff for decades -- and the Lowel staff are nice people to deal with.

Argentus
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, May 15, 2013

Thanks Sailor Blue!

Argentus
Like?
In reply to jeffcpix, May 15, 2013

Do you know if the Interfit Strobies Boom Arm with Hotshoe for Light Stand (STR173) is compatible with Lastolite stands?

My issue is that as journalist I am often on the road and portability is key. Cheers

Thanks

ScratchDisk
Like?
In reply to Argentus, May 15, 2013

Hi,

The 'Interfit Strobies Boom Arm with Hotshoe for Light Stand (STR173)' is designed to fit onto the top 5/8 spigot of any lightstand.

But that really is lightweight - it probably will take a Speedlite, but nothing except the very lightest modifier. Cheers.

Argentus
Like?
In reply to ScratchDisk, May 15, 2013

Ok. I was planning to put a speedlight and an ezybox. Is that already too much weight?

ScratchDisk
Like?
In reply to Argentus, May 15, 2013

Hi,

Ezybox Hotshoe S'boxes are good modifiers - I have a 24in & a 32in. But on a vertical stand they are 'front heavy'.

If you then put that onto an angled boom it can translate into a twisting moment about the axis of the boom.

So I'm not saying that your 'Interfit Strobies Boom Arm with Hotshoe for Light Stand (STR173)' could not take a 24in S'box, but IMO it would be right at the limit and awkward to use.

For that boom, I'd be looking at the Lumiquest range - or similar. Small S'boxes that mount directly onto the Speedlite's flash-head save on the weight of a bracket etc., so would be suitable. Cheers

Argentus
Like?
In reply to ScratchDisk, May 15, 2013

Thanks again!

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to Argentus, May 16, 2013

B&H sells a highly rated hot-shoe 24" softbox.

Impact Quikbox Softbox (24 x 24") EBO-0602424 B&H Photo

I recommend you contact them and ask about using the softbox with Interfit Strobies Boom Arm with Hotshoe for Light Stand (STR173).  It's a free phone call in US and Canada at 800.947.7786 or you can e-mail them.

B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders

Lighter and still easy to transport is an umbrella.  You can get a cheap one with a cover to make it like a softbox on ebay or you can get a quality one in the form of the Photek SoftLighter II.

PBL Photo Studio 40 inch Reflective Umbrella Softboxes Set of Two Steve Kaeser Photographic Lighting and Accessories

Photek SOFTLIGHTER II

To use an umbrella you would need an umbrella bracket.  I have this one and can recommend it.  I like the fact that the flash's hot-shoe is clamped to the bracket's cold-shoe so the flash is securely held.

Impact Umbrella Bracket with Adjustable Shoe 9101880 B&H Photo

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads