Curious, who is staying put with their X10?

Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions
Pacific462
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?
Re: Curious, who is staying put with their X10?
In reply to kwa_photo, May 14, 2013

I'm sticking with my X10. I'm sure that the X20 is a great little camera too, but sometimes it seems that upgrading models every 12 months or less becomes a disease and takes priority over photography itself. If the results of your existing camera are what you want, then why waste a pile of money just so that you can look at an image blown up several hundred percent and count an extra eyelash. Let's face it, it's very unlikely that photographs are going to be  printed at advertising poster size from a compact camera. If you need that then buy a D800. Horses for courses.:-)

Pacific462's gear list:Pacific462's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,383Gear list
Like?
In reply to PGR streetshooter, May 18, 2013

PGR streetshooter wrote:

The decision was made for me. The X10 is an amazing camera but I'm a raw shooter.
I now use the X20.

As the X10 has raw, I'm not sure why the decision was "made for you."

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,356Gear list
Like?
I'm keeping my X-10 for awhile, because...
In reply to kwa_photo, May 20, 2013

I've got the X-E1, and with regards to the X-20, the advances, IMO, are not major enough for me to get it over the X-10.  Besides, when selling used cameras, they lose so much value so quickly' that it is frustrating.  I find the X-10 to be a superb instrument (with all the firmware updates, of course).  Plus, in addition, I have the likes of the Nikon P7700, Canon G12, Olympus XZ-1, and Panny LX5.  Yeah, the X-10 is staying put.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +30 more
Gorpalm
Regular MemberPosts: 185Gear list
Like?
In reply to kwa_photo, May 25, 2013

Good question - I recently got a NEX 3n, which has a very similar footprint to my X10, but of course has a aps-c sensor. Have been taking the NEX everywhere where I used to take the X10...but at the same time every time I fiddle with the X10 (thinking "should I sell you on?") the bright lens, great handling, high-speed flash and great range of useful & fun colour and output tweakables makes me decide to hold onto it.

It might just turn into a keeper, like my F31.

-- hide signature --

Gordy

Gorpalm's gear list:Gorpalm's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Canon ELPH 100 HS Fujifilm X10 Samsung WB250F Olympus PEN E-PL1 +2 more
Silvernitrate
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
In reply to Gorpalm, May 26, 2013

Gorpalm wrote:

Good question - I recently got a NEX 3n, which has a very similar footprint to my X10, but of course has a aps-c sensor. Have been taking the NEX everywhere where I used to take the X10...but at the same time every time I fiddle with the X10 (thinking "should I sell you on?") the bright lens, great handling, high-speed flash and great range of useful & fun colour and output tweakables makes me decide to hold onto it.

It might just turn into a keeper, like my F31.

-- hide signature --

Gordy

The flash is a good reason to stick with the x10 alone

You really can sync at all speeds even with the little pop up, it can struggle a bit at reasonable f stops and distance,but its just perfect for the odd bit of creativity or macro.

These are all taken using manual mode, auto modes restrict your shutter speeds.

Struggled a bit with the last one but its not bad considering the distance of about 4 feet, the 100 ISO, the f4 aperture and the shutter speeds.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,307Gear list
Like?
In reply to kwa_photo, May 26, 2013

kwa_photo wrote:

I am curious, how many of you have not upgraded to the X20 from the X10 yet?  Are you planning on doing so? If not, what is holding you back?

What have I done?  I'm trying to kick the habit of G.A.S. and sticking with any camera (unless majorly flawed) for at least two generations.  That means I'll likely skip the X20 and the X100s. I do the same with my iPhones.  I skip every other one.

While I could really used the new OVF of the X20 and the speed of the new X100s, if I don't have those to compare my X10 and X100 against, I am very pleased with what I have.  I had to ask myself, "have I missed too many images because of the limitations of the cameras?  Or was it really more a limitation of myself - not the gear?"  My conclusion was that I really didn't miss many at all.  Even when chasing a toddler and a 5 year old around. Heck, I used to shoot college football from the sidelines using a manual focus lens and then shortly after with the early slow AF DSLR's.  These 1st gen Fuji's are blazing compared to that - it's all perspective.

So, for now, I'm sticking with the X10 and X100. IF something were to happen and one of them "needed" to be replaced,  yes - I would replace them with the most current generation.

What are you doing with your X10?

-- hide signature --

Ken
FujiFilm FinePix Moderator (PM with Q's vs. a public post please)
http://www.kwaphoto.com
http://500px.com/kwaphoto/sets

I had zero intereset in anything Fuji unil a couple months ago when I was in need of a higher end compact. This was a step above the Canon G15 type.  I already have a micro four thirds system and did not want another interchangeable system right now.

I decided I could look past an APC or FF compact which costs way to much for a single focal length.

So, I have the X-20 as my first ever Fuji product, film camera or otherwise.  I really like the X-20.

As far as upgrading I agree skipping a generation or two is usually good.  At the same time if you have one camera you can live with no matter how old technologically it gets you can keep a camera for a year and when talk starts about a newer camera just sell it to maximize used value.

video is important to me so if Fuji ever makes this better it will be a contender in a new model Even if its the X-30.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
chp
chp
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to Silvernitrate, May 26, 2013

question: will the X20 also sync at any speed ?

I am struggling to find confirmation online.

Thanks

Zeegee
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?

I remember in 1973 when I bought my first real camera, a Konica Auto Reflex T w/50mm lens , I had that camera for years until it was stolen. I purchased the X10 a few months after it was released and find it takes me back to my fond memories of the film days. No need to upgrade as I never print larger than 11 x 14. I will pick up a X100s sometime in the fall as I would like a fixed lens APS-C sensor camera that I can carry about every day. GAS is a constant problem with many photographers, just STOP IT and perfect your shooting skills with a simple camera and if possible just one lens.

Eddie
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?

I bought my X10 when news of the X20 broke and the prices dropped. I also bought the Fuji Super Warranty which provides cover up until 2017.

When the cover expires I will then consider purchasing the (then) new Fuji full frame 30 megapixel X60 compact camera. Until then I will concentrate on getting better pictures from my X10.

Silvernitrate
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
In reply to chp, May 26, 2013

chp wrote:

question: will the X20 also sync at any speed ?

I am struggling to find confirmation online.

Thanks

Yes it should, to test this out go into manual mode, raise the flash, set an f sop and fire off a series of images say between 1/500s to 1/4000s.

Once you pass the 1/1000 sec speed, the shutter speed will be displayed in red, but it will still work and deliver the correct exposer provided there is enough light.

Even in manual mode the flash will still fire in auto mode.

The major pulling point for me getting an x10 is its leaf shutter.

chp
chp
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to Silvernitrate, May 26, 2013

The major pulling point for me getting an x10 is its leaf shutter.

Thanks

What do yo mean with this last sentence ?

Landor Dees
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?

I was just asking a similar question in my thread.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3494230

Posted a few X10 images from today and was wondering how much better the X20 is?

Landor

Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,633Gear list
Like?

Keeping my X10.  If I had more money to spend I would definitely consider upgrading to the X20.

I used my X10 yesterday.  Excellent results at 6 megapixels, making great 4x6 prints.

I also have an X-E1.  If I had more money to spend I would definitely consider the zeiss Touit 12mm lens.  Oh, what the heck, I'm considering the lens anyway!  Love this photography hobby!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,633Gear list
Like?
In reply to enzop, May 26, 2013

enzop wrote:

Very happy with mine. I've carried it to Asia, Africa, and Europe As well as several backpacking trips in western Canadian mountains. I purchased mine when they first came out ( I have the orby model) but for my pictures it has not been an issue. I also have a D7000 that I use when weight is not an issue. I can honestly say that I find it is the best point and shoot made.

I have the orby first-release model.  Refused to upgrade to the non-orby version.  Image quality was too good to risk it.  Love mine!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads