Stupid Mac is locking raw files!

Started May 8, 2013 | Questions
Indydi
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Stupid Mac is locking raw files!
May 8, 2013

I will try not to make this a rant about how much I hate this computer, but let me just mention how much I miss that old cheap Gateway desktop, and how much faster my Nexus 10 is on the internet using the same network...

My Macbook Pro, a.k.a., The Heap, is locking all my raw files.  I know it's the computer, because I have two cameras from two different manufacturers, and all raws are locked from both.

When I go into the info, the "Locked" box is NOT checked, so I don't know how to unlock them! It's so nice that The Heap decided to protect my raws from me.

Can anyone suggest a solution, thereby preventing me from throwing this piece of trash off a bridge?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,721
Like?
Re: Stupid Mac is locking raw files!
In reply to Indydi, May 8, 2013

Well, you missed avoiding a rant

Perhaps indicate what if any error messages and what specific software you're using etc etc.

I'm sure you can sell the MBP if that is what you want and bask in the glory of Gateway.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,762
Like?

Indydi wrote:

I will try not to make this a rant about how much I hate this computer, but let me just mention how much I miss that old cheap Gateway desktop, and how much faster my Nexus 10 is on the internet using the same network...

My Macbook Pro, a.k.a., The Heap, is locking all my raw files.  I know it's the computer, because I have two cameras from two different manufacturers, and all raws are locked from both.

When I go into the info, the "Locked" box is NOT checked, so I don't know how to unlock them! It's so nice that The Heap decided to protect my raws from me.

Can anyone suggest a solution, thereby preventing me from throwing this piece of trash off a bridge?

If you leave out the rant which doesn't help one bit in explaining anything about what you see or how you got there.

Explain in easy steps what you do. Don't leave out any details.

Describe the error in detail.

What software are you using? Version of OSX? Screenshots?

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Michael Eckstein
Senior MemberPosts: 2,076Gear list
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, May 8, 2013

Sounds like an operator problem to me.

Michael Eckstein's gear list:Michael Eckstein's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +8 more
Doug R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468
Like?

No need to find a bridge any tall building will work just as well. Throw it like a Frisbee and watch it sail.

-- hide signature --

Doug

Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,150Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doug R, May 9, 2013

What, exactly, do you mean "It's locking my Raws"?  How, exactly is it "locking" them?  What are you trying to do with your Raws, and what software are you trying to do it with?  It would seem pretty basic to let us know before your rant.  Also, some of the other stuff you write about just doesn't make any objective sense at all.  What year MacBook, how much memory, what processor?

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Johannes Leitner
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?
In reply to Indydi, May 9, 2013

It seems you use OSX 10.8.3 and you try to edit the raw files with preview app.

If you click on the word "locked" in the header line beside the file name you can unlock it. If you do that, you have to convert the file to a tiff file, as the automatic "versioning" does not work with raw files from a camera.

You could use iPhoto to edit your raw files.

regards

johannes

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,948Gear list
Like?
In reply to Johannes Leitner, May 9, 2013

Johannes Leitner wrote:

It seems you use OSX 10.8.3 and you try to edit the raw files with preview app.

If you click on the word "locked" in the header line beside the file name you can unlock it. If you do that, you have to convert the file to a tiff file, as the automatic "versioning" does not work with raw files from a camera.

You could use iPhoto to edit your raw files.

regards

johannes

I agree.  I had never don this before, but after reading Johannes post I tried it and locked up the file.

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,150Gear list
Like?
In reply to coronawithlime, May 10, 2013

This person shows up on May 8, 2013, drops one ridiculous thread, and doesn't return.  Hmmmmm.......

-- hide signature --

www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,948Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, May 10, 2013

Alpha Doug wrote:

This person shows up on May 8, 2013, drops one ridiculous thread, and doesn't return.  Hmmmmm.......

-- hide signature --

www.dougwigton.com/

Does catch your eye doesn't it.

-- hide signature --

One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

f8BeThereToo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,238
Like?
In reply to Indydi, May 10, 2013

Why is it that some people who love PCs purchase a Mac, do not learn how to use it and then look for help on a Mac forum while ranting about their crappy Mac? Doesn't it occur to them that it isn't a very good way to obtain assistance?

Do yourself and everyone else a favor: Sell the Mac on CraigsList and return to PCs.  Then you can get together with your Mac-hating friends and have a blast putting down Apple products...

Or... You can act like a grownup, drop the attitude and politely ask for help without the histrionics. Since describing a computer problem is often problematic (particularly when you aren't familiar with the proper terminology...) posting a screenshot can be very helpful for people who are attempting to figure out what is going on.

I also suggest getting a copy of David Pogue's Missing Manual for Switchers for whichever operating system you are using. He goes into detail about the differences between Macs and PCs as well as providing an excellent easy-to-read operating manual for Macs.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads