self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?

Started May 8, 2013 | Questions
lovingtheview
Contributing MemberPosts: 738
Like?
self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
May 8, 2013

Forgive my small personal concern amid the universal worries about where Adobe is going.  I have CS5 with its disc, as purchased, and am using it on two different computers, as authorized by Adobe. Actually, I need to load it to another computer in the next few days because of a hard drive failure.  When I purchased it, I was not told that my usage rights would/could/might ever be altered or suspended.

Question is:  If I am willing to use it as is, with no upgrades, no improvements, [with no tech support other than keeping the program going as I change computers, or if PS stops working] will I be able to use it indefinitely, both when connected or unconnected to the web?  I am fine with permanently ending my active relationship with Adobe and all of its future products, but I do not want to be denied [ever] of continuing to use what I already have purchased and given rights to use under the terms at purchase date.

I have zero interest in Lightroom, and zero interest in anything to do with the cloud, even if the cloud offers infinite other benefits.

Also got a copy of Elements 9 on my new laptop.  I presume that is mine to use forever without limitation, plus some very old [1, 2, 4 versions of Elements] which I do occasionally use.

Thanks for your insights,

Lovingtheview

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Doug R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,470
Like?
Re: self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
In reply to lovingtheview, May 8, 2013

Your fine you can use your current version of Photoshop CS6 as long as you can keep any computer that runs it alive. So basically as long as you live.

-- hide signature --

Doug

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Si Fi
Regular MemberPosts: 324
Like?
Re: self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
In reply to Doug R, May 8, 2013

Doug R wrote:

Your fine you can use your current version of Photoshop CS6 as long as you can keep any computer that runs it alive. So basically as long as you live.

-- hide signature --

Doug

OS/Windows updates may well cause it to stop working much sooner than that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
plain text
Regular MemberPosts: 218
Like?
Re: self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
In reply to Si Fi, May 8, 2013

"OS/Windows updates may well cause it to stop working much sooner than that." - Should be good for a while yet - my copy of PS7 ran on 98SE, 2000, XP and still runs on W7. I've also seen PS6 (from 1999? 2000?) on Vista.

If you have the space, you can keep a machine with a legacy OS just for this.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
suddie1215
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,810Gear list
Like?
Re: self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
In reply to lovingtheview, May 9, 2013

Actually you have a bit of a problem.

Since you already have CS5 installed on two computers, it will not run when installed on a third computer unless you deactivate one of the first two installations.  And since your hard disk died you will not be able to deactivate that copy.  You will need to contact Adobe Customer Service to have them deactivate the copy on the dead hard drive before you can install CS5 on the new computer. (this assumes you want to keep two installations; of course you can deactivate the copy on the currently working computer but that would limit you to only installing on the new machine).

lovingtheview wrote:

Forgive my small personal concern amid the universal worries about where Adobe is going.  I have CS5 with its disc, as purchased, and am using it on two different computers, as authorized by Adobe. Actually, I need to load it to another computer in the next few days because of a hard drive failure.  When I purchased it, I was not told that my usage rights would/could/might ever be altered or suspended.

Question is:  If I am willing to use it as is, with no upgrades, no improvements, [with no tech support other than keeping the program going as I change computers, or if PS stops working] will I be able to use it indefinitely, both when connected or unconnected to the web?  I am fine with permanently ending my active relationship with Adobe and all of its future products, but I do not want to be denied [ever] of continuing to use what I already have purchased and given rights to use under the terms at purchase date.

I have zero interest in Lightroom, and zero interest in anything to do with the cloud, even if the cloud offers infinite other benefits.

Also got a copy of Elements 9 on my new laptop.  I presume that is mine to use forever without limitation, plus some very old [1, 2, 4 versions of Elements] which I do occasionally use.

Thanks for your insights,

Lovingtheview

 suddie1215's gear list:suddie1215's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
Re: self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
In reply to suddie1215, May 9, 2013

I don't think there is a problem.  Surely (?) Adobe will continue the way they have in the past with respect to "purchased" (as opposed to rented) products.  Some time ago I bought a new notebook and was unable to deactivate PS on the old notebook.  It was live, it just wouldn't deactivatel.  It was a very quick call and they reset my number of computers.  That left me with three computers with PS on them but I had no use for it on the old notebook - which had gone on to other tasks.

I doubt if any call to Adobe will be a quick call in the near future.  Not only are people upset, various things are not working from what I read on comments to an Adobe blog I was reading this morning.  This really seems to have been done prematurely.

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lovingtheview
Contributing MemberPosts: 738
Like?
Re: universal corporate ethics on the cusp
In reply to JudyN, May 9, 2013

Thanks to all for the insights.  It remains a quagmire.  Photoshop and its heritage are a consummate technical marvel, but if Adobe now abandons individual purchasers who bought at their price, my loyalty to them ends now.  I will be searching for an alternative, at unthinkable inconvenience to my creativity and photography.

Universal corporate ethics is at a crossroads, but, as so many conservatives would say, free enterprise should prevail.

Lovingtheview

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,765Gear list
Like?
Re: self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
In reply to suddie1215, May 9, 2013

suddie1215 wrote:

Actually you have a bit of a problem.

Since you already have CS5 installed on two computers, it will not run when installed on a third computer unless you deactivate one of the first two installations.  And since your hard disk died you will not be able to deactivate that copy.  You will need to contact Adobe Customer Service to have them deactivate the copy on the dead hard drive before you can install CS5 on the new computer. (this assumes you want to keep two installations; of course you can deactivate the copy on the currently working computer but that would limit you to only installing on the new machine).

lovingtheview wrote:

Forgive my small personal concern amid the universal worries about where Adobe is going.  I have CS5 with its disc, as purchased, and am using it on two different computers, as authorized by Adobe. Actually, I need to load it to another computer in the next few days because of a hard drive failure.  When I purchased it, I was not told that my usage rights would/could/might ever be altered or suspended.

Question is:  If I am willing to use it as is, with no upgrades, no improvements, [with no tech support other than keeping the program going as I change computers, or if PS stops working] will I be able to use it indefinitely, both when connected or unconnected to the web?  I am fine with permanently ending my active relationship with Adobe and all of its future products, but I do not want to be denied [ever] of continuing to use what I already have purchased and given rights to use under the terms at purchase date.

I have zero interest in Lightroom, and zero interest in anything to do with the cloud, even if the cloud offers infinite other benefits.

Also got a copy of Elements 9 on my new laptop.  I presume that is mine to use forever without limitation, plus some very old [1, 2, 4 versions of Elements] which I do occasionally use.

Thanks for your insights,

Lovingtheview

No problem at all, if you call Adobe Europe they will reset the count of installations for you. I am not sure if they will do that in the USA though. I hear horrible stories about service.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Phil_L
Senior MemberPosts: 2,848
Like?
Re: self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
In reply to JudyN, May 9, 2013

JudyN wrote: snip...

It was live, it just wouldn't deactivatel.  It was a very quick call and they reset my number of computers.  That left me with three computers with PS on them but I had no use for it on the old notebook - which had gone on to other tasks.

I doubt if any call to Adobe will be a quick call in the near future.

I needed to reset recently. Called the Swedish Adobe office for service and was shunted off to a call center in India.

No problem with the service, but comparing to my experience a few years ago with the same problem, my conclusion is that Adobe is rapidly dismounting global support.

This is an irreversible process (don't expect a retreat) and probably one of the cost cutting motives for moving to "cloud".

-- hide signature --

Phil_L

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lac111
Senior MemberPosts: 2,794Gear list
Like?
Re: self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
In reply to JudyN, May 9, 2013

JudyN wrote:

I don't think there is a problem.  Surely (?) Adobe will continue the way they have in the past with respect to "purchased" (as opposed to rented) products.  Some time ago I bought a new notebook and was unable to deactivate PS on the old notebook.  It was live, it just wouldn't deactivatel.  It was a very quick call and they reset my number of computers.  That left me with three computers with PS on them but I had no use for it on the old notebook - which had gone on to other tasks.

I doubt if any call to Adobe will be a quick call in the near future.  Not only are people upset, various things are not working from what I read on comments to an Adobe blog I was reading this morning.  This really seems to have been done prematurely.

-- hide signature --

Last I heard was that all support for CS products ends in August 2013. Maybe CS6 is excluded from that, but info on the website differs from what I'm seeing in articles on Dpreview.

-- hide signature --

Lora
Profile is wrong, I've been on Dpreview since June 2006.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Radu Tenenbaum
Senior MemberPosts: 2,851Gear list
Like?
Re: universal corporate ethics on the cusp
In reply to lovingtheview, May 10, 2013

Isn't that a bit hyperbolic?  All the responses you're received have indicated you will be able to continue using your product.

-- hide signature --

Radu
www.raduray.com

 Radu Tenenbaum's gear list:Radu Tenenbaum's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Conchita
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,909
Like?
Re: self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
In reply to Toermalijn, May 10, 2013

Yes, they will do it in the US, too.

For now this isn't an issue. The possibility of a problem comes down the road if CC isn't doing so well and adobe starts thinking that they can force more people into it by stopping activation on older versions. However, so far they have tended to just drop activation on really old versions (that was what the "free photoshop" confusion a few months ago actually was--releasing a version that wasn't tied to the activation servers they shut down).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lovingtheview
Contributing MemberPosts: 738
Like?
Re: universal corporate ethics on the cusp
In reply to Radu Tenenbaum, May 10, 2013

Radu Tenenbaum wrote:

Isn't that a bit hyperbolic?  All the responses you're received have indicated you will be able to continue using your product.

-- hide signature --

Radu,

Let me clarify, please.  Of course I would not label my own concerns as universal, regardless of whether I personally was protected or not.  I refer rather to Adobe's global change in product/price/mode of service to all customers who had paid for something radically different.

Adobe's business needs are immaterial to the question of what is or is not ethical.  Given their market share and prominence worldwide, and given that the ultimate manifestations of the policy are not yet clear,

"universal corporate ethics on the cusp" doesn't seem to me to be inaccurate or overstated, as of this date, at least.

Best regards,

Lovingtheview

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Doug R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,470
Like?
Re: self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
In reply to Si Fi, May 14, 2013

Si Fi wrote:

Doug R wrote:

Your fine you can use your current version of Photoshop CS6 as long as you can keep any computer that runs it alive. So basically as long as you live.

-- hide signature --

Doug

OS/Windows updates may well cause it to stop working much sooner than that.

Nothing is stopping you from making a image of your working system and if a update or anything else breaks your system just revert back to the working copy. You can do a clean install of the OS and Photoshop and get back to a working system.

Your argument is not worth the time it took to respond to it.

Back-up what a concept.

-- hide signature --

Doug

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,765Gear list
Like?
Re: self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
In reply to Conchita, May 14, 2013

Conchita wrote:

Yes, they will do it in the US, too.

For now this isn't an issue. The possibility of a problem comes down the road if CC isn't doing so well and adobe starts thinking that they can force more people into it by stopping activation on older versions. However, so far they have tended to just drop activation on really old versions (that was what the "free photoshop" confusion a few months ago actually was--releasing a version that wasn't tied to the activation servers they shut down).

You're talking about the cs2 release some month ago.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lovingtheview
Contributing MemberPosts: 738
Like?
Re: you are addressing?
In reply to Doug R, May 15, 2013

Doug R wrote:

Si Fi wrote:

Doug R wrote:

Your fine you can use your current version of Photoshop CS6 as long as you can keep any computer that runs it alive. So basically as long as you live.

-- hide signature --

Doug

OS/Windows updates may well cause it to stop working much sooner than that.

Nothing is stopping you from making a image of your working system and if a update or anything else breaks your system just revert back to the working copy. You can do a clean install of the OS and Photoshop and get back to a working system.

Your argument is not worth the time it took to respond to it.

Back-up what a concept.

-- hide signature --

Doug

Doug, please make clear to whom your words "Your argument is not worth the time it took to respond to it," are directed.

Lovingtheview

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Antioch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,838
Like?
Re: self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
In reply to Toermalijn, May 15, 2013

Toermalijn wrote:

Conchita wrote:

Yes, they will do it in the US, too.

For now this isn't an issue. The possibility of a problem comes down the road if CC isn't doing so well and adobe starts thinking that they can force more people into it by stopping activation on older versions. However, so far they have tended to just drop activation on really old versions (that was what the "free photoshop" confusion a few months ago actually was--releasing a version that wasn't tied to the activation servers they shut down).

You're talking about the cs2 release some month ago.

Adobe is legally obligated to continue to support activation for the life of the Product ... Period.

I have Photoshop 7, which has a serial number and no activation required. I believe activation started with the First Version of CS.

Now if they go belly up ... then that is a differant matter, even though I can argue, it does not take much to keep the activation servers operational.

Regards

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RobertBarnett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,402Gear list
Like?
Re: self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
In reply to lovingtheview, May 15, 2013

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you never upgrade anything. Hardware or software. Upgrade hardware and you run the risk of a non-compatible driver, upgrade your OS and well basically same thing. Your computer will forever be-stuck in time.

Frankly, after making the movie to cc I have no issues.

Robert

P.S. Do I like the whole idea? Sh!t no, I hate the whole idea of renting software. But, we had better get used to it.

 RobertBarnett's gear list:RobertBarnett's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Doug R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,470
Like?
Re: you are addressing?
In reply to lovingtheview, May 16, 2013

Si Fi.

-- hide signature --

Doug

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
Re: self-interest amid global Adobe catastrophe?
In reply to RobertBarnett, May 16, 2013

RobertBarnett wrote:

P.S. Do I like the whole idea? Sh!t no, I hate the whole idea of renting software. But, we had better get used to it.

No, I don't have to "get used to it."  Some people may be forced to, but I'm not going to do it.  If people don't refuse to go along with nonsense like this, other companies will follow.

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads