Generic DNG format question

Started May 8, 2013 | Questions
Bill1000Evening
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
Generic DNG format question
May 8, 2013

I was experimenting with Lr5 beta this morning, trying out some of the new features.  I noticed that when I did an “edit-in Adobe Photoshop CS5.1…”, the photo opened in Photoshop with a part of the image I had removed in Lr5 – still in the image.  The “edit-in” was looking for ACR 8.1, and, of course, it wasn’t there.

It got me wondering about the DNG format (that I convert to all the time).  Question:  If I took a DNG file “developed” in say Lr5 over to another (non-Adobe) raw processor that handled the DNG format, would that processor just open the image as it would have appeared just out of the camera, ignoring the Lr “develop” instructions – or what?

Bill1000Evening's gear list:Bill1000Evening's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Ysarex
Contributing MemberPosts: 583
Like?
Re: Generic DNG format question
In reply to Bill1000Evening, May 8, 2013

Yep, that's exactly what happens. Raw converters are proprietary and do not read each other's processing instructions.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ukchris
Regular MemberPosts: 398
Like?
Re: Generic DNG format question
In reply to Bill1000Evening, May 8, 2013

In answer to your first paragraph, LR needs to perform the rendering. When you perform an edit in PS, LR will render all your develop settings into a new TIF or PSD file that is read by PS. Do your adjustments in PS and then save. The TIF or PSD file will then be returned to LR. Your original raw file remains intact and unchanged, along with all your develop settings.

The DNG format is an Adobe proprietary file format but it's format is open to all. Personally, I've never bothered to convert to DNG (unless the camera is so new that I've had to use theĀ Adobe DNG Converter), preferring instead to retain the original raw files.

-- hide signature --

Chris

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads