Primes vs Zooms

Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions
vbuhay
Contributing MemberPosts: 518Gear list
Like?
Primes vs Zooms
May 8, 2013

I know this debate has been discussed here many, many times and its still going on. I was thinking about this yesterday while reading some post here and listening to a baseball game at the same time and it dawned on me:

Primes are for homeruns, Zooms are for base hits. Either way , we all need runs. Enough said!

Vic

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 +23 more
lost_in_utah
Regular MemberPosts: 445Gear list
Like?
Re: Primes vs Zooms
In reply to vbuhay, May 8, 2013

vbuhay wrote:

I know this debate has been discussed here many, many times and its still going on. I was thinking about this yesterday while reading some post here and listening to a baseball game at the same time and it dawned on me:

Primes are for homeruns, Zooms are for base hits. Either way , we all need runs. Enough said!

Vic

They both have their purposes and advantages/disadvantages. Saying one is always better is a generalization and therefore, flawed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 717Gear list
Like?

vbuhay wrote:

Vic

Interesting analogy.  I'm not sure I see it--or agree with it--but it does provoke thought.

Perhaps a golf analogy would be better.  However, I'm not sure whether primes are putters and zooms are drivers.

Hmm, thoughts?

gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
ofior
Contributing MemberPosts: 576Gear list
Like?

Define homerun:

1-  If that means the success of an image, then, I think we've all seen many homerun photos, some taken with primes, some with zooms, and some we did not know what was used. So, no iI do not agree. Some taken with equipment older than you and I.

2- If homerun means corner to corner pixel peeping "critical" sharpness, then you might have a point, but even then only some primes achieve this consistently.

I agree sometimes must have both, but the number of pros using zooms as their primary lenses seems to indicate that they can hit "homeruns" with zooms. In the end, it is not the bat, but the batter.

Ozzie

ofior's gear list:ofior's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,491Gear list
Like?
In reply to lost_in_utah, May 8, 2013

That's like saying the best tool is a hammer.....if using a nail, yes . If using a screw a screwdriver would be better.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937
Like?
This one will never end

vbuhay wrote:

Vic

I have no snobbery against zoom lenses. I just don't own any...I prefer the weight of the short primes at least, and the extra 2 stops of light and dof control most of my lenses have.

primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937
Like?
In reply to scokill, May 8, 2013

scokill wrote:

That's like saying the best tool is a hammer.....if using a nail, yes . If using a screw a screwdriver would be better.

Possibly, or just use your head.

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,420Gear list
Like?

Pros use prime telephotos at baseball games.  They move around during the game between first and third base photo boxes or moats.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D90 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,491Gear list
Like?
In reply to primeshooter, May 8, 2013

scokill wrote:

Possibly, or just use your head.

Don't get it...

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,714Gear list
Like?
Don't listen to these wishy-washy miscreants...

Primes are better.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
ata3001
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?

Primes will generally give the best in image quality however many look at zooms as being better because of the "convenience" in getting the image. I don't consider "convenience" an important factor in the final image. Primes are much less convenient to use since it requires constantly changing lenses for that "right" focal length however I find it gives me the ability to use the larger apertures (f/1.8 & f/1.4) that primes offer that aren't available with zoom lenses (f/2.8 at best). The newest primes are extremely good at their widest apertures & I will use these widest apertures when the need arises. Most primes are better at every aperture when compared to zooms. I pixel peep & print large, so even the smallest improvement that a prime lens gives me over a zoom lens is extremely important. More important than the convenience that a zoom has to offer. At the end of the day it's the sharpest, most detailed image that counts. Longer focal length zoom lenses are great for portrait work since ultimate sharpness is not always desired but the longer focal length allows for nicely modeled (out of focus) backgrounds. My opinion only & no one will change it.

ata3001's gear list:ata3001's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +30 more
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?

vbuhay wrote:

Vic

I've never really understood this particular discussion. Focal length isn't that important except when you need consider it because you can't get to the position you want, or because you need some particular perspective.

Now, how one gets to the focal length they've decided upon seems to me the most useless information in photography. It strikes me as the ultimate in gearheadism "new word   " Seriously, why would anyone care how you chose the focal length unless it severely affected the IQ as in a super ratio zoom?

To me, a zoom is nothing but a variable prime lens. When I'm going on location and I know exaclty my focal length needs, I probably will take primes because they are usually smaller and faster. If I think I'll need several focal lengths and am not so sure what they will be, I'll bring one or more zoom lenses. It's a bag full of various focal lengths.

But that's all this means, this difference between zooms and primes. That's it. There's no other reason to be concerned or to try and make it part of photography. It always amazes me when people say things like, "I'm switching to all primes" or all zooms or anything of the sort. My retort would be, "So What" or "why would you do that?" What does that have to do with making an image?

Take it easy.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Mssimo
Contributing MemberPosts: 870Gear list
Like?
In reply to lost_in_utah, May 9, 2013

lost_in_utah wrote:

vbuhay wrote:

Vic

They both have their purposes and advantages/disadvantages. Saying one is always better is a generalization and therefore, flawed.

Primes...they are much better.

-- hide signature --
 Mssimo's gear list:Mssimo's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +3 more
Mssimo
Like?
Re: Don't listen to these wishy-washy miscreants...
In reply to paulski66, May 9, 2013

paulski66 wrote:

Primes are better.

I would have to say primes are much better.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +3 more
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,129Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulski66, May 9, 2013

paulski66 wrote:

Primes are better.

Not all primes are better than any zoom. There are many so so primes that don't have the IQ of a really good zoom.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Mikhail Bogdanov
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,829
Like?
I've lived in the Red Sox City for 20 years
In reply to vbuhay, May 9, 2013

vbuhay wrote:

still don't understand the game... and your insightful point of lenses is...?

paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,714Gear list
Like?
No no...
In reply to Stacey_K, May 9, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

paulski66 wrote:

Primes are better.

Not all primes are better than any zoom. There are many so so primes that don't have the IQ of a really good zoom.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

...primes are better.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Mssimo
Like?
In reply to Stacey_K, May 9, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

paulski66 wrote:

Primes are better.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Primes are much better. Zooms are slow, big, only shart in the center, have a ton of CA and cost more money.

If you like to compare a $2000 zoom with a 50mm f1.8...well the 50mm prime still wins.

-- hide signature --
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,898
Like?
In reply to Mssimo, May 9, 2013

Yup, I guess that's why I sold my 105/2 AFD DC after finding, on a D800E, that my zoom, the 70-200/2.8G VR-II, was sharper at all distances. Shrug....  (or the 14-24 zoom being clearly better than the Nikon, er, Tamron, er, Nikon 14/2.8 prime...)

It depends on the lens. Modern primes generally beat modern zooms, but at times modern zooms beat vintage primes designed in an earlier era...

-m

Mikhail Bogdanov
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,829
Like?
In reply to Mssimo, May 9, 2013

If you like to compare a $2000 zoom with a 50mm f1.8...well the 50mm prime still wins.

-- hide signature --

LOL! I'm cleaning my bag/lenses now, and grabbed this snap. There is nothing my cheap plastic 50/1.8 wouldn't be ale to do compared to 24-70... assuming it's a prime, and you have to use your feet...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads