Need help transferring files to new iMac

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
jov95
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Need help transferring files to new iMac
11 months ago

Hello all. I recently bought a new iMac and need some help transferring my itunes library and my iPhoto library. My older iMac is an early 2006 model with snow leopard and doesn't have the Migration Assistant program like the new OS. What steps do i need to take in order to transfer these two libraries over? Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,749
Like?
Re: Need help transferring files to new iMac
In reply to jov95, 11 months ago

jov95 wrote:

Hello all. I recently bought a new iMac and need some help transferring my itunes library and my iPhoto library. My older iMac is an early 2006 model with snow leopard and doesn't have the Migration Assistant program like the new OS. What steps do i need to take in order to transfer these two libraries over? Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

You would run the Migration Assistant on the new Mac. Always on the Machine where you want the files migrated TO.

Just connect the two macs with a regular network cable. I wrote about it on my blog, see below

http://mfransso.blogspot.com/2011/03/ad-hoc-network-between-two-macs.html

Once connected you don't need Migration Assistant if the two iTunes Libraries is all you want to copy. Just copy them via the Finder on the new Mac. You should see the other Mac in the Finders sidebar.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,456
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, 11 months ago

One 'gotcha' is that if you created the same username (short name) on the *new* iMac as what you have on the old iMac, that *can* cause migration issues.  Deal w/ that (by creating a new user on the new iMac w/ a different short name and moving any 'new' files to that user.  Then nuke the original user on the new iMac (so that MA runs, it creates a whole new user w/ the original name).

jov95
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, 11 months ago

Do I just connect them with a standard USB cable or an Ethernet cable? Sorry for the stupid question but unless its editing photos or similar, I am fairly illiterate when it comes to computers.

Howard Moftich
Like?

I believe that a network (ethernet cat5/6) cable is all you need.  I do not think you can do it via USB

Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,528Gear list
Like?

Howard Moftich wrote:

I believe that a network (ethernet cat5/6) cable is all you need.  I do not think you can do it via USB

FWIW, for safety and simplicity and best speed, I'd use a FireWire cable and set the source Mac into 'Target' mode (Command-T at startup), then use Migration Assistant on it (the 'other drive' option I think it is).

Copying an iTunes library can cause lots of issues with purchased songs etc. if it's not done right (been there, got the T-shirt).

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Howard Moftich
Like?
In reply to Andy Hewitt, 11 months ago

Yea, certainly Firewire but I wasn't sure if the new iMac's even came w/ a FW connector and I didn't want to suggest having the OP purchase a 1-time TB->FW adaptor for whatever they charge ($30?)

webfrasse
Like?

jov95 wrote:

Do I just connect them with a standard USB cable or an Ethernet cable? Sorry for the stupid question but unless its editing photos or similar, I am fairly illiterate when it comes to computers.

Standard Ethernet cable is all it takes. No reboot needed like with the Firewire or USB Target drive mode. Just connect the two and they will network automatically. Just like that:-) You can then just drag and drop what you want in the Finder or use the Migration Assistant.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,528Gear list
Like?

Howard Moftich wrote:

Yea, certainly Firewire but I wasn't sure if the new iMac's even came w/ a FW connector and I didn't want to suggest having the OP purchase a 1-time TB->FW adaptor for whatever they charge ($30?)

Fair enough, I'd forgotten that FW was being dropped now.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Paul Pasco
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860Gear list
Like?

Jeremy, is that all you want to transfer? The reason I ask is because you can easily transfer everything from the old computer using Setup Assistant the first time you start up the new Mac. All apps, settings and programs will transfer over If you want.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 +14 more
webfrasse
Like?
In reply to Paul Pasco, 11 months ago

Paul Pasco wrote:

Jeremy, is that all you want to transfer? The reason I ask is because you can easily transfer everything from the old computer using Setup Assistant the first time you start up the new Mac. All apps, settings and programs will transfer over If you want.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

That is the Migration Assistant that we've been mentioning throughout this thread;-)

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Paul Pasco
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860Gear list
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, 11 months ago

webfrasse wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

That is the Migration Assistant that we've been mentioning throughout this thread;-)

-- hide signature --

Mikael

No, Setup Assistant is offered only on first start up of a new machine whereas Migration Assistant can be used at any time. Look it up if you don't believe me. There are reasons where it may be preferable to use SA over MA. Using SA will prevent issues mentioned  previously by another poster  with iTunes permissions and since the OP specifically mentioned iTunes and iPhoto, I thought it may be pertinent to the issue.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 +14 more
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,341
Like?

jov95 wrote:

There are several ways to get files between two Macs:

1. Target Disk Mode (Thunderbolt).  Very fast, but the cable is expensive.

2. Target Disk Mode (Firewire).  Fast, but the latest iMacs don't have built-in Firewire.

Apple - OS X Mountain Lion - Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode

3. Networking using Ethernet or WiFi.

4. Copying files on the source Mac to an external drive, then moving the drive to the target Mac.  The connection method(s) may include USB, Firewire, and/or Thunderbolt, and do not have to be the same for both computers, as long as the drive can serially connect to each computer.

5. Copying files on the source Mac to a USB flash drive or flash memory card, then moving it to the target Mac (variant of #4).

6. Other ways

Apple - OS X Mountain Lion: Transfer files between two Mac computers

jov95
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, 11 months ago

Thanks for the info guys. I'm hoping to try the ethernet cable this morning if I have time. I have already set up the new iMac so I can't use the setup assistant. I will try the migration assistant route. Someone had asked why I didn't want to just transfer everything over to the new one. Let's just say that I had some "non licensed" software on the old one that I don't want on my new baby.   I'll let you guys know if I can get it all figured out. Thanks again.

Jeremy

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,557
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, 11 months ago

Tom_N wrote:

jov95 wrote:

There are several ways to get files between two Macs:

1. Target Disk Mode (Thunderbolt).  Very fast, but the cable is expensive.

2. Target Disk Mode (Firewire).  Fast, but the latest iMacs don't have built-in Firewire.

Apple - OS X Mountain Lion - Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode

3. Networking using Ethernet or WiFi.

4. Copying files on the source Mac to an external drive, then moving the drive to the target Mac.  The connection method(s) may include USB, Firewire, and/or Thunderbolt, and do not have to be the same for both computers, as long as the drive can serially connect to each computer.

5. Copying files on the source Mac to a USB flash drive or flash memory card, then moving it to the target Mac (variant of #4).

6. Other ways

The most important one of those is to use a backup (clone or TM) as the source of the data. Since probably almost all external drives have USB, it requires no extra cables (but one likely is limited to USB 2 speed).

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,557
Like?
In reply to Paul Pasco, 11 months ago

Paul Pasco wrote:

webfrasse wrote:

Paul Pasco wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

-- hide signature --

Mikael

No, Setup Assistant is offered only on first start up of a new machine whereas Migration Assistant can be used at any time. Look it up if you don't believe me.

I'm afraid but the name used almost universally for the superset of MA and SA is MA. Thus, whenever somebody says MA, it includes both variants and context explains what exactly was meant. Though, for a clear majority, when using the term MA, the one run at the end of the installation process is meant, simply because most of the time 'MA' is run then and not later.

There are reasons where it may be preferable to use SA over MA. Using SA will prevent issues mentioned  previously by another poster  with iTunes permissions and since the OP specifically mentioned iTunes and iPhoto, I thought it may be pertinent to the issue.

Yes, running MA directly at the end of the installation is usually preferred.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads