Third party LP-E6 batteries for Canon 5D Mark III and firmware 1.2.1

Started May 8, 2013 | Questions
3D Guy
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Third party LP-E6 batteries for Canon 5D Mark III and firmware 1.2.1
May 8, 2013

Hi,

Are there any proven third party LP-E6 batteries for Canon 5D Mark III that work well with the latest firmware 1.2.1?

By well I mean showing correct information about the charge.

Thank you

pete zeugma
Regular MemberPosts: 476
Like?
Re: Third party LP-E6 batteries for Canon 5D Mark III and firmware 1.2.1
In reply to 3D Guy, May 8, 2013

no, thats why they are 3rd party.. stop being so tight and buy the proper batteries you know you should

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SleebusJones
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
In reply to pete zeugma, May 8, 2013

pete zeugma wrote:

no, thats why they are 3rd party.. stop being so tight and buy the proper batteries you know you should

Wrong.

Also, allow me to quote the rules at the top of the posting page, Pete:

The basic rules for discussions on dpreview.com are simple: be polite and civil; do not be offensive, malicious or antagonistic;

I have 3rd party and they work fine.  I don't have the name handy, but will check when I get home.

Sleeb

SleebusJones's gear list:SleebusJones's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Samsung Galaxy Note II +3 more
jouni123
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
There are a lot

Because this battery type has been rather long time on market, there are many, even serious that you can buy in serious Photo shop. I don't know if 6D needs special for its power metering or so, we must wait if there is one who knows it. BTW I have always used third part batteries, never had trouble with them,  jouni

jouni123's gear list:jouni123's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
jouni123
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
 jouni123's gear list:jouni123's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?

Not worth it on my own experience. I bought such one with excellent reviews in Amazon for my 60D (the same as in 5D3/5D2/7D). It worked very well in first year but then noticeably ran out quicker than Canon OEM one after one year's usage (and I used them in turn evenly). So initially it may save you half cost but eventually not really if you want to span to 3 years or longer. I bought several cheap 3rd party batteries for my 5Dc and they are not in good shape after two years while original Canon OEM batter still runs much better after about 6 years although it also shows deterioration.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
wa2n
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
In reply to jouni123, May 8, 2013

jouni123 wrote:

Here is one to start with, js

http://www.amazon.com/STKs-Canon-LP-E6-Battery-2600/dp/B005DEHVC8

i just bought this and can confirm full info with 1.21

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
3D Guy
Like?
In reply to wa2n, May 9, 2013

wa2n wrote:

jouni123 wrote:

i just bought this and can confirm full info with 1.21

Thanks! I'll give it a try. It has some pretty bad reviews on Amazon site from the 5DMIII owners however...

3D Guy
Like?
In reply to SleebusJones, May 9, 2013

I have 3rd party and they work fine.  I don't have the name handy, but will check when I get home.

Sleeb

Did you upgrade to 1.2.1? Any names that work well will be helpful. Thank you.

3D Guy
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, May 9, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

Not worth it on my own experience. I bought such one with excellent reviews in Amazon for my 60D (the same as in 5D3/5D2/7D). It worked very well in first year but then noticeably ran out quicker than Canon OEM one after one year's usage (and I used them in turn evenly). So initially it may save you half cost but eventually not really if you want to span to 3 years or longer. I bought several cheap 3rd party batteries for my 5Dc and they are not in good shape after two years while original Canon OEM batter still runs much better after about 6 years although it also shows deterioration.

-- hide signature --

Sure, third party batteries differ a lot and are not the safe ber hence the question that I've posted. I used them for 20D and all behaved differently, some were actually better than Canon.

3D Guy
Like?
In reply to jouni123, May 9, 2013

jouni123 wrote:

Thanks. I saw that one on amazon but was stopped by the negative reviews from the 5DMIII users. But it seems that it is worth the try.

SleebusJones
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
In reply to 3D Guy, May 9, 2013

3D Guy wrote:

Sleeb

Did you upgrade to 1.2.1? Any names that work well will be helpful. Thank you.

Yes, upgraded to 1.2.1.  Brand is DSTE.  Since I posted, one works fine, the other one seems to have lost charge overnight for whatever reason.  I'm sure the seller will send me another, but even though they are recognized fine by the camera, it seems the cells are of questionable quality.

Sleeb

SleebusJones's gear list:SleebusJones's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Samsung Galaxy Note II +3 more
Don Ellis
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,742
Like?
In reply to 3D Guy, May 9, 2013

I have one original and three Phottix equivalents. When I upgraded to 1.2.1, I got a message saying "Communication with right Canon LP-E6 battery is irregular. Continue to use this battery?"

I removed the two batteries from the grip, swapped left with right, started the camera again and got the same message -- so it's not specifically the right battery. I said yes I wanted to continue and everything has been fine, including the battery level display in the top display panel.

I just checked it again and it seems as though I'm going to be asked this question every time I start the camera, which would be a nuisance except that I never turn the camera off unless it's to remove the batteries to recharge them. But if you routinely shut your camera down and turn it back on for shooting, this would be a distraction and certainly could result in your missing some shots.

canon person
Senior MemberPosts: 1,523
Like?
To WA2N:
In reply to wa2n, May 9, 2013

73 from WA2VFN

wa2n
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: To WA2N:
In reply to canon person, May 9, 2013

canon person wrote:

73 from WA2VFN

No 88's?

canon person
Like?
Re: To WA2N:
In reply to wa2n, May 12, 2013

Not on the first date.  Hi.

Regards,

WA2N

canon person
Like?
In reply to 3D Guy, May 12, 2013

3D Guy wrote:

jouni123 wrote:

Thanks. I saw that one on amazon but was stopped by the negative reviews from the 5DMIII users. But it seems that it is worth the try.

I bought 2 of them and had problems!!!  After a full charge they indicated that they needed a recharge after a dozen exposures!  Read my very negative experience on Amazon.

Canon Person

Marek07
Regular MemberPosts: 294Gear list
Like?
In reply to 3D Guy, May 12, 2013

I have never had good experiences from 3rd party batteries, Especially If you have bought an expensive system...why scrimp on batteries!

Marek07's gear list:Marek07's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
Don Ellis
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,742
Like?
In reply to Don Ellis, May 13, 2013

Don Ellis wrote:

I have one original and three Phottix equivalents. When I upgraded to 1.2.1, I got a message saying "Communication with right Canon LP-E6 battery is irregular. Continue to use this battery?"

I removed the two batteries from the grip, swapped left with right, started the camera again and got the same message -- so it's not specifically the right battery. I said yes I wanted to continue and everything has been fine, including the battery level display in the top display panel.

I just checked it again and it seems as though I'm going to be asked this question every time I start the camera, which would be a nuisance except that I never turn the camera off unless it's to remove the batteries to recharge them. But if you routinely shut your camera down and turn it back on for shooting, this would be a distraction and certainly could result in your missing some shots.

To follow up on my post, I thought I was being conscientious in checking the battery message a second time, but I made the assumption that I would continue getting the "Communication ..." message in the future -- hence my post above.

I've been pleased to learn that is is not true ... I am no longer asked about communication, the Phottix batteries work fine, and the battery level readout registers as it should.

Don

SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 2,333Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marek07, May 13, 2013

Because $5 in parts should not cost $60 in the store.

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads