Aperture 3 question with raw NEF decoding.

Started May 8, 2013 | Questions
John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481Gear list
Like?
Aperture 3 question with raw NEF decoding.
May 8, 2013

What is the advantage of Aperture 3 not show applying the decoding adjustments upon import to the  thumbnails? Before with Aperture 2 I could see the enhancements applied one by one on import. Now with Aper 3 they all look flat until I click on one. I called apple support and the tech could not tell me what the point was and that I send in my concerns to their feedback.

So it seems if I want to see this applied to all my project images immediately after import I need to take an extra step and select all the images to then see the Apple's decoding applied. You would think there would be an option box to check to have this applied.

Any answers out there? What am I missing with this difference between the previous and current Aperture and why would they choose to do it this way? I could see working from the flat image and add my own enhancements but one isn't allow to do so at this stage because once you click on that image, they apply full decoding.

Thanks

ANSWER:
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,765
Like?
Re: Aperture 3 question with raw NEF decoding.
In reply to John M Roberts, May 8, 2013

John M Roberts wrote:

What is the advantage of Aperture 3 not show applying the decoding adjustments upon import to the  thumbnails? Before with Aperture 2 I could see the enhancements applied one by one on import. Now with Aper 3 they all look flat until I click on one. I called apple support and the tech could not tell me what the point was and that I send in my concerns to their feedback.

So it seems if I want to see this applied to all my project images immediately after import I need to take an extra step and select all the images to then see the Apple's decoding applied. You would think there would be an option box to check to have this applied.

Any answers out there? What am I missing with this difference between the previous and current Aperture and why would they choose to do it this way? I could see working from the flat image and add my own enhancements but one isn't allow to do so at this stage because once you click on that image, they apply full decoding.

Thanks

What you see is the embedded (in the NEF) jpeg created by your Camera so that you can see anything on it's lcd. Aperture will generate it's own preview but can't interpret any camera settings to do so. Only Nikons own software like the free ViewNX 2 can do that.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kurpaige
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

Basically its done for speed.  It shows you the embedded jpg so that you can see a thumbnail instantly.  I think you can turn it off and force it to make its own thumbnails on import.

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,956
Like?

John M Roberts wrote:

What is the advantage of Aperture 3 not show applying the decoding adjustments upon import to the  thumbnails? Before with Aperture 2 I could see the enhancements applied one by one on import. Now with Aper 3 they all look flat until I click on one.

The previous two posters misunderstood your question. You seem to have a refresh issue, ie, Aperture doesn't refresh the view automatically when doing its raw conversion. I had serious refresh issues with Aperture 3.0, so maybe that is a feature of the Aperture 3 branch.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any specific advice apart from the usual trouble-shooting steps. Something simple to try out is to create a new Aperture library and import a few images into it.

Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,151Gear list
Like?
In reply to John M Roberts, May 9, 2013

In Aperture 3 Apple allowed the user to change the import and immediate thumbnail generation behaviour.  In Aperture/Preferences/Import notice at the bottom that you can either set Aperture to immediately use the embedded JPEG from the RAW file for speed, or you can choose to have Aperture generate a thumbnail preview immediately.  Just check the second box, and Aperture will behave as it did in 2.0.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Alpha Doug
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, May 9, 2013

P.S.  Also for speed and ease of use, set your preview size to no larger than your screen resolution, and your quality to 6.

-- hide signature --

www.dougwigton.com/

Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, May 9, 2013

Alpha Doug wrote:

P.S.  Also for speed and ease of use, set your preview size to no larger than your screen resolution, and your quality to 6.

Thanks for the clear information Alpha Doug. I wish the Apple technician could have been educated to this. This is the first time I have been disturbed by one of their techs. He was getting annoyed with me that I wasn't buying his explanation which did not offer an option which I found hard to believe.

Not too bad though since I have been using Apple computers only and for years.

Alpha Doug
Like?
In reply to John M Roberts, May 10, 2013

I find that Apple Store techs have very little real knowledge about the pro apps like Aperture and Final Cut Pro.  I'm an Apple Certified Trainer for Aperture, and I have offered my services to local Apple Stores for classes on Aperture or whatever.  They seem to be completely un-interested in using their own company trained experts.  Go figure.

-- hide signature --

www.dougwigton.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads