Windows 8 shocker

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,305
Like?
Re: Not intutive
In reply to theswede, May 15, 2013

theswede wrote:

User can arrange tiles as he/she wishes.

Which is exactly what is wrong with that UI paradigm.

NO, user should always be able to customize UI and software he/she uses to his/her liking.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,305
Like?
Re: You're making my point

theswede wrote:

I come into these threads looking for the "rational" discussion of Windows 8 and it's advantages (according to folks like you, there are apparently none of these)

Not really, no. Over Windows 7 it has some newer drivers and improvements in headline grabbers like startup time. Nothing substantial for neither corporate use, typical light home use or gaming.

Thats your opinion but others disagree, for example here are some things that are better for corporate users:

- UEFI.

- Hyper-V client.

- Improved File history ( Time machine for you Mac users ).

- Large disk support ( over 2TB ).

- New Task Manager.

- Better printing.

Etc etc.

1w12q312qw1
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?
In reply to digital ed, May 15, 2013

ed,

I couldn't agree more. But calling out someone for an "elitist" attitude is not really a personal attack on his moral character or personal ethics. It is moreover a reaction to his "style" or "manner of speaking". Many doctors will talk "at" their patients and not "with" them and that habit is disconcerting to me and reflective of a "superior" attitude. I have no ill will towards anyone here and I will lighten up as soon as certain people stop talking down to everyone else here. It's the little catch-phrases that give a window into a person's heart and mind.

Stan

nekrosoft13
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8 shocker
In reply to malch, May 15, 2013

malch wrote:

"Microsoft is preparing to reverse course over key elements of its Windows 8 operating system, marking one of the most prominent admissions of failure for a new mass-market consumer product since Coca-Cola’s New Coke fiasco nearly 30 years ago."

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/330c8b8e-b66b-11e2-93ba-00144feabdc0.html

rumor is that start button and boot to desktop is coming back that is great but....

biggest problem with windows 8 is metro and start screen, they really should bring back the start menu and let the user choose if they want to use the new giant unoptimized, user un-friendly metro interface or the old proven fast, responsible minimalistic start menu.

I have windows 8 on one PC and I still haven't found a useful metro app, its sad that third party companies are fixing OS and MS can't.

Startdock managed to run metro apps in window, again something that MS should do, there is no reason why a simple app that has almost no options require to take up entire screen on 22-24- or even 27 inch screen. On tablet it makes sence, but not on PC.

nekrosoft13's gear list:nekrosoft13's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +12 more
nekrosoft13
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?
In reply to Archer66, May 15, 2013

Archer66 wrote:

theswede wrote:

User can arrange tiles as he/she wishes.

Which is exactly what is wrong with that UI paradigm.

NO, user should always be able to customize UI and software he/she uses to his/her liking.

very true, that why there should be option to turn of metro and use start menu.

nekrosoft13's gear list:nekrosoft13's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +12 more
dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,616
Like?

theswede wrote:

When trivial aspects of the operation of the system are broken that has tremendous impact on the usability of it. The trivial parts are the ones which have to work flawlessly for the system to become transparent to the user and stay out of the way. When they do not, but instead interfere with everyday operation they become a very big deal.

I'd be curious to hear which aspects of the operating system you feel are actually broken.  Meaning, what can you do in Windows 7 that you are now unable to do in Windows 8 (NOT things that you now have to do slightly differently).

dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,616
Like?
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, May 15, 2013

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

ed,

I couldn't agree more. But calling out someone for an "elitist" attitude is not really a personal attack on his moral character or personal ethics. It is moreover a reaction to his "style" or "manner of speaking". Many doctors will talk "at" their patients and not "with" them and that habit is disconcerting to me and reflective of a "superior" attitude. I have no ill will towards anyone here and I will lighten up as soon as certain people stop talking down to everyone else here. It's the little catch-phrases that give a window into a person's heart and mind.

Stan

It's all in your head mate.

I AM surprised that some folks have such trouble doing things that seem rather obvious to me, and I AM confused when someone makes a statement about a feature that is factually just false (ie. Page break is no longer under "Insert" with the ribbon), and I do wonder at the apparent anger people feel towards a piece of software.

I would consider myself an above average computer user (no expert by any means) with very average demands for my computer usage.

You do keep bringing doctors into this for some reason, which confuses me.  Perhaps you are just really angry with your general practitioner.

theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, May 15, 2013

"UI" (User Interface) is generally used to described software, not hardware. I use the term "touch UI" to refer to the "Metro"-style user interface, just as I use "desktop UI" to refer to the traditional Windows DWM (Desktop Window Manager) GUI interface.

"Touch" is a hardware characteristic. When you say "touch UI" I (and most likely everyone else) will read that as "the UI you use with your touch device". I have none, so I have no touch UI.

If you dislike Metro, call it Modern.

Swipes from the side are a standard touch UI technique, similar to right-clicking for a desktop UI.

Except they're not. The only thing side swipes are used for in the iOS applications I use are for side scrolling. I have no applications where side sweeps provide basic functionality.

No, they're not obvious for someone used to a desktop, but they're par for the course for mobile devices.   Anyone used to a touch UI who wasn't familiar with a particular mobile OS would try swipes from the side to see what they do.   I don't see that as a failing of Windows 8.

I wouldn't, unless the screen looks like it can scroll sideways. What other functions do side sweeps usually provide? Where is this supposedly standard use documented?

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
In reply to dradam, May 15, 2013

I'd be curious to hear which aspects of the operating system you feel are actually broken.  Meaning, what can you do in Windows 7 that you are now unable to do in Windows 8 (NOT things that you now have to do slightly differently).

What I can do in Windows 7 is work and support family and friends without the OS getting (all that much) in my way.

This is impossible in Windows 8 without using third party utilities and/or registry hacks.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904Gear list
Like?

theswede wrote:

When trivial aspects of the operation of the system are broken that has tremendous impact on the usability of it. The trivial parts are the ones which have to work flawlessly for the system to become transparent to the user and stay out of the way. When they do not, but instead interfere with everyday operation they become a very big deal.

Jesper

You should be aware that making over the top declarations can destroy your basic premise. For those of us that use Win 8 with minimal problems we cannot relate to your statements that trivial aspects of the program are broken and interfere with everyday operation. While this may be true for you it is not for others.

My interpretation of many of your comments cause me to believe you are unwilling to deal with changes in a constructive way.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads