Read this before you buy a Fuji X.

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,860
Like?
Re: How to reply to that?
In reply to Beat Traveller, May 9, 2013

Beat Traveller wrote:

'Read this before you buy' is usually meant to signify important camera-breaking problems,

usually? since when? alerting potential buyers of less known issues of mirrorless (especially to total new system buyers) fall squarely within "read before you buy" category

not a rehash of the tired 'mirrorless vs DLSR' debate.

And who managed to turn it into a debate?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mjack101
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, May 9, 2013

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

Let's start with what I did not:

I didn't sleep with your wife.

I did not insult or attack you or your family.

I did not even say that mirrorless cameras are not a good choice!

I'm shocked by some of the responses. I'm shocked that the reaction to a small post can cause such reactions. It seems that on the internet all is possible and people forget about everything they ever learned about communication style and social interaction.

It also seems that some posters ( not all ) define their-self over the stuff they buy. If I like something ( and I like my X Pro-1 or X100 or NEX 5 a lot ) and somebody else says this is not the best thing ever made my little world would not fall apart.

I think I need a break.

-- hide signature --

I too am shocked at some of the replies here, it is really rather depressing. Either people didn't read what you wrote or wilfully misinterpreted it, it's hard to tell given the vehemence of some of the attacks on you. They obviously haven't read many of your previous posts where you have shown through your excellent pictures the abilities of the X series. Thanks to your pictures and comments on the XF 14mm I will probably buy this lens.

I can see why you would want a rest from this but I think you will be missed by the more rational members.

sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,944Gear list
Like?

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

I didn't sleep with your wife.

I did not insult or attack you or your family.

I did not even say that mirrorless cameras are not a good choice!

I'm shocked by some of the responses. I'm shocked that the reaction to a small post can cause such reactions. It seems that on the internet all is possible and people forget about everything they ever learned about communication style and social interaction.

It also seems that some posters ( not all ) define their-self over the stuff they buy. If I like something ( and I like my X Pro-1 or X100 or NEX 5 a lot ) and somebody else says this is not the best thing ever made my little world would not fall apart.

I think I need a break.

-- hide signature --

Joachim, I hope I was clear (probably in a rambling way) that while I disagreed with some of your examples I understood the central core of your message / blog post (DSLRs are not dead) and broadly agreed with it. I also found some of the other responses offensive/rude in that they seemed to treat your post like that of a troll/shill who never posts here (which is patently untrue). It is possible to disagree on examples and points without having to be rude.

In any event, I for one enjoy your posts (including the ones that link to your blog) whether I agree with them or not (in fact that is irrelevant, they are interesting to read) and hope you continue to post here.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,860
Like?

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

You should not be shocked.

DPR is a tough place and many people dispense the usual courtesy that they would afford others in real life. That on its own may have been tolerable but with you mix that with vehement fanboysm it becomes a different beast. Some people here clearly enjoy distorting objective assessments into brand bashing and starts to fight an imaginary enemy. such as the imaginary war against FFDSLR, against high end compact etc, etc,...

Sebit
Regular MemberPosts: 241
Like?

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

Just before you'll take your break - can you please point me to the shocking responses you mention above? Because from I've read above, most (let's say, more than 95%) of users who contributed to this thread seem to be polite and specific about the issue discussed in your blog post. Why bash your forum colleagues with such an unspecific accusation? Because they don't agree with your findings?

-- hide signature --

seb

ljclark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,292Gear list
Like?
Maybe Not Replying to "That"?
In reply to sgoldswo, May 9, 2013

sgoldswo wrote:

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

Joachim, I hope I was clear (probably in a rambling way) that while I disagreed with some of your examples I understood the central core of your message / blog post (DSLRs are not dead) and broadly agreed with it. I

sgoldswo:  I'm not sure he is responding to your post at all.  If you look at this thread in the Flat View, Joachim's post falls below an entirely different posting.

I'm convinced that a fair portion of the missed or hostile communications in DPR is precipitated by people who use the Flat View instead of the Threaded View.

ljclark's gear list:ljclark's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X30 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +36 more
Beat Traveller
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, May 9, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

Beat Traveller wrote:

'Read this before you buy' is usually meant to signify important camera-breaking problems,

usually? since when? alerting potential buyers of less known issues of mirrorless (especially to total new system buyers) fall squarely within "read before you buy" category

not a rehash of the tired 'mirrorless vs DLSR' debate.

And who managed to turn it into a debate?

I've read the OP's blog a few times before, including when I was on the cusp of buying into this system. He's put out some very good information, specifically comparing the X-Pro, X100 and RX100. I don't think this highly subjective and unsubstantiated list of 'issues' with mirrorless is his finest post, that's all.

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
standor
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Re: Read this before you buy a Fuji X.
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, May 12, 2013

@ "If you have young kids you are definitely better off with an entry level DSLR compared to even the best mirror less camera money can buy today."

I had heard to many times that MILC is not suitable to catch moving children.

NO, this is not true. If you have such problems, I have a good news: You could be able to improve your shooting skills to have no substantial problems in this area. I shoot moving children with XE1 very often indoors & outdoors with shallow DOF and my success rate is good.

I heard too many times that DSLR AF is much better than MILC AF. But this statement ignores the fact that DSLR could have really serious AF issues if you have bad luck, .... especially if you are shooting at shallow DOF ( I'm experienced (D)SLR user for more than 20 years ).

DSLR inaccurate AF could be caused by:

1. lens/body manufacturing accuracy & calibration issues. This problem could be even worse with future high Mpix sensors, which requires always better manufacturing accuracy of DSLRs mechanics.

2. by less consistent focus accuracy of DSLR's PDAF in comparison to CDAF.

The important fact is that most less experienced DSLR buyers do not have a knowledge about these possible DLSR AF issues.

If they have have bad luck and experience these issues, its solution could be really difficult, time consuming and also not solvable.

I have extensive bad experience with these DSLR issues and neither in body micro-calibration, nor even 4 (four!!!) calibrations of body+lenses in certified service in Germany had not substantially improved the AF problem.

In my experience it was much more easier to improve my focusing skills with XE1 than solving these DSLR focus issues.

The same DSLR AF issues will not occur with MILC because they use CDAF AF and even if they use PDAF their focusing sensors are part of own image sensor ( then no miss-alignment issues )

Such DSLR AF issues occurs also if focusing at IDEAL conditions (!) – static objects, good light, good object contrast. The problem is more problematic with zoom lenses, because AF could be correct in some zoom range but NOT in other one..... really very strange issues, which could be not solved neither by body/lens calibration nor by improving your AF skills.

These DSLR problems are caused by:

1. PDAF focusing method

2. focusing is affected by DSLRs over-complicated design because of using mirror, which requires that focusing sensors are outside of the image sensor plane. Then even small inaccuracies of its mechanical parts or their miss-alignment could cause that final image focused according focusing sensors (placed outside of image sensor plane) will be out of focus on image sensor and in your final picture.

standor's gear list:standor's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads