Swivel screen alternate for D7100?

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions
ajamils1
Contributing MemberPosts: 929Gear list
Like?
Swivel screen alternate for D7100?
May 7, 2013

I'm planning on buying D7100 but one of the features that I really need is swivel screen and i know that I can get D5200 that has very similar IQ but it lacks a lot of features from D7100. I would like to know if there is an alternate solution for hot shoe mounted or something similar (without breaking the bank) that can be used to overcoming this short coming of D7100?

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Nikon D5200 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,862Gear list
Like?
Re: Swivel screen alternate for D7100?
In reply to ajamils1, May 7, 2013

There are dedicated HDMI secondary screens you can buy (go to BH photo and search for "dslr monitor") and you'll find a a wide range of screens from about $300 all the way to $1000 and higher.  Most of the time they're used for liveview video.  this allows you to view pictures.  If you want to control the operation of the camera, you need to use Camera Control (Nikon) and a laptop, or if you're using an Android tablet with a full USB host mode (like the Samsung Galaxy series and other premium tablets) you have an Android app for what is effectively tethering.

But all of these solutions are much larger than the camera itself.

If you really need a swivel screen that's convenient the D5200 is your only Nikon choice.  You'll need to choose another brand if neither that nor tethering is acceptable.  Nikon kind of doesn't believe in articulating monitors, in much the same way it doesn't really get interface design for video...especially for its higher end bodies.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ajamils1
Contributing MemberPosts: 929Gear list
Like?
Re: Swivel screen alternate for D7100?
In reply to mosswings, May 9, 2013

Thanks for the reply. From what I've found so far, there are two options..either get an app for the phone and connect it to the D7100 via USB (or wifi) or get an external monitor like Sony ClM V-55. I like the idea of Sony monitor because it also gives option of "focus peeking" but the issue with it is that it's expensive ($400 with battery). Secondly, it is bigger than what I'm looking for. This will be a great monitor for people who do a lot of videos but I'm just looking for something for taking stills in those rare times when either OVF or Live view are difficult to use.

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads