What other software supports Abobe plugins?

Started May 7, 2013 | Questions
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,151Gear list
Like?
Re: What other software supports Abobe plugins?
In reply to Alpha Doug, May 10, 2013

OnOne software offers the Perfect Layer plugin that works with Lightroom & Aperture allowing your to do a lot of what you would do in Photoshop with layers, and composites.  I have never liked the HDR part of Photoshop, preferring to either us nik HDR Efex Pro 2 or Photomatix.  And I also have never liked the Panorama stitching in Photoshop, preferring to use ArcSoft's PanoramaMaker Pro.  And the SnapHeal program from MacPhun allows you to do content aware healing.  On the Mac, PixelMator is a very good approximation of Photoshop.

You know though, actually, if you just use Photoshop, the monthly fee is $20.  And you don't have to wait for two years to get three of four new features.  They just show up.  Heck, I pay Netflix $20 every month so I can get DVDs or stream movies.  I'm thinking it's not such a bad deal.  If you use the entire Suite, the $49 is actually kind of a deal relative to the initial price and the upgrade pricing.  My major beef with Adobe is that they really haven't done much for photographers in Photoshop for a long time (most of their photo effort goes to Lightroom - which isn't a bad thing), and that their software is at times buggy and intrusive.  Unlike other programs that politely install themselves in just one location or so, Adobe software sprays files all over your hard drive.  It's almost impossible to totally un-install them.  So if I could work out a practical and efficient way to not ever use Adobe, I would do so.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,703Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, May 11, 2013

Alpha Doug wrote:

OnOne software offers the Perfect Layer plugin that works with Lightroom & Aperture allowing your to do a lot of what you would do in Photoshop with layers, and composites.  I have never liked the HDR part of Photoshop, preferring to either us nik HDR Efex Pro 2 or Photomatix.  And I also have never liked the Panorama stitching in Photoshop, preferring to use ArcSoft's PanoramaMaker Pro.  And the SnapHeal program from MacPhun allows you to do content aware healing.  On the Mac, PixelMator is a very good approximation of Photoshop.

You know though, actually, if you just use Photoshop, the monthly fee is $20.  And you don't have to wait for two years to get three of four new features.  They just show up.  Heck, I pay Netflix $20 every month so I can get DVDs or stream movies.  I'm thinking it's not such a bad deal.  If you use the entire Suite, the $49 is actually kind of a deal relative to the initial price and the upgrade pricing.  My major beef with Adobe is that they really haven't done much for photographers in Photoshop for a long time (most of their photo effort goes to Lightroom - which isn't a bad thing), and that their software is at times buggy and intrusive.  Unlike other programs that politely install themselves in just one location or so, Adobe software sprays files all over your hard drive.  It's almost impossible to totally un-install them.  So if I could work out a practical and efficient way to not ever use Adobe, I would do so.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

The problem is, once you're in they don't have to keep their word and can do as they please.

No guarantee they will put out upgrades that regular. They don't even fix major bugs in cs6 to make sure you upgrade to cs7(CC7)... They invent all kind of things to make sure you will part with your hard earned cash.

Jerrydf
Contributing MemberPosts: 633
Like?
In reply to Toermalijn, May 11, 2013

Irfanview (free) supports many PS plugins.

Fastone viewer (free) now includes a cloning tool.

Elements XXL from thepluginsite.com ($50)  adds most of Photoshop's features to Photoshop Elements.

Toermalijn
Like?
In reply to Jerrydf, May 11, 2013

Jerrydf wrote:

Irfanview (free) supports many PS plugins.

Fastone viewer (free) now includes a cloning tool.

Elements XXL from thepluginsite.com ($50)  adds most of Photoshop's features to Photoshop Elements.

True, but elements upgrade path isn't sure either, as is Lightrooms'...They are allready thinking of making LR go CC...

Then what, any software will go this path and before we know it, we rent everything all our lifes...

Saleen1999
Contributing MemberPosts: 765Gear list
Like?

That would be real sad if every major software decides to 'rent' their software rather than sell it but that thought did cross my mind after hearing Adobe making this ridiculous decision. I am so upset over this and I I hope Adobe fails very badly with it.

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

Saleen1999's gear list:Saleen1999's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
Toermalijn
Like?
In reply to Saleen1999, May 11, 2013

Saleen1999 wrote:

That would be real sad if every major software decides to 'rent' their software rather than sell it but that thought did cross my mind after hearing Adobe making this ridiculous decision. I am so upset over this and I I hope Adobe fails very badly with it.

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

Well, melissa, Microsoft started it with the office 365, now Adobe with the creative suite and if this is a succes, i am sure more will follow.

If we don't stop this now, future could be very dim...

mikes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,977
Like?

Lucky for me, Corel has said "No" to software subscriptions. They will continue with perpetual licencse.

Toermalijn wrote:

Saleen1999 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

Well, melissa, Microsoft started it with the office 365, now Adobe with the creative suite and if this is a succes, i am sure more will follow.

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

rightwinger
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?

Toermalijn wrote:

Saleen1999 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

I'll do my part, not one more nickel to Adobe from my pocket. I talked to a rep yesterday, inquired about upgrading to CS6, because I will NOT rent software. I was told pretty much to do it soon, because once they go CC, there won't be any more upgrades. Okay, Adobe..I'm sticking with the CS5 I already own, and my LR 3, which I was going to upgrade as well upon the release of LR5, and you can take your cloud and shove it. I've spent a lot of money over the years on Adobe products, as well as a lot for books and training, and now I get the finger? I'm not a pro, but MOST photographers aren't either. From now until I find something better, It'll be what I've got, and after I get my new camera, it will probably be Nikon NX for raw editing, maybe Gimp as well. Adobe screwed the pooch on this. Their stock is already taking a hit, I say good....and good bye.

-- hide signature --

''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' - John Wayne

rightwinger's gear list:rightwinger's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +7 more
Toermalijn
Like?
In reply to mikes, May 11, 2013

mikes wrote:

Lucky for me, Corel has said "No" to software subscriptions. They will continue with perpetual licencse.

Toermalijn wrote:

Saleen1999 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

Yes, they take advantage of the situation now. But if Adobe would be successfull, they would be on the same bandwagon.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads