What other software supports Abobe plugins?

Started May 7, 2013 | Questions
xrdbear
xrdbear MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,650
Like?
What other software supports Abobe plugins?
May 7, 2013

If you own a string of expensive plugins and go to cloud membership for Photoshop do you lose the use of all your plugins if you can't manage the Adobe subscription one month?

What are the alternatives?

-- hide signature --

Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
mikes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,870
Like?
Re: What other software supports Abobe plugins?
In reply to xrdbear, May 7, 2013

Corel

xrdbear wrote:

If you own a string of expensive plugins and go to cloud membership for Photoshop do you lose the use of all your plugins if you can't manage the Adobe subscription one month?

-- hide signature --

Brian

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kenneth_manila
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?
Also looking for alternatives to Photoshop

I don't like paying a monthly fee for software--stop paying and I will not be able to access my own files.

I'm also looking for alternatives to Photoshop which can use the plugins I've bought over the years.

How is PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate?

xrdbear wrote:

Steve_in_FL
Contributing MemberPosts: 948Gear list
Like?
Alternatives to Photoshop
In reply to kenneth_manila, May 7, 2013

Lightroom 4, PSE 11, and PSP X5 all support Topaz Labs plugins.  Topaz also has a new app which allows their plugins to run as stand alones.

Steve_in_FL's gear list:Steve_in_FL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
kenneth_manila
Like?
Re: Alternatives to Photoshop
In reply to Steve_in_FL, May 7, 2013

I have Lightroom 4 and PSE 10.

I'm looking for something that will work like PS--able to use layers, and with good text capabilities...more power than what PSE 10 has.

And able to use my plugins.

I have Topaz photoFXlab, but it has rudimentary functions outside of filter application.

Steve_in_FL wrote:

Lightroom 4, PSE 11, and PSP X5 all support Topaz Labs plugins.  Topaz also has a new app which allows their plugins to run as stand alones.

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,467
Like?

ACDSee Editor 6.  Includes full 16 bit editing as well

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

glacierpete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,917
Like?

xrdbear wrote:

-- hide signature --

Brian

Photoline 32/64 bit application. Some functions are even better than in PS like 16 bit per channel, support of CMYK and Lab, (lab curves). It is the closest PS clone I know off.

Cheap €59. Shareware concept. After 30 days the trial runs unlimited with a nag screen counting down a few second at start up.

http://www.pl32.com/

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,960
Like?

Very different than Photoshop, but supports the plugins.

http://www.sagelighteditor.com/

For the people talking about Topaz's photoFXlab, you can also set up some other plugins in it so they too can be run without Photoshop. The current Nik plugins can be imported. The first version of SEL won't install however. I don't have any other earlier version of the Nik plugins so only posting what I know for sure.

Thank you
Russell

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,467
Like?
ACDSee Photo Editor V6 opens Lr DNG files converted from other formats.
In reply to Glen Barrington, May 7, 2013

In response to another question in a different forum thread, I tried to open a dng file I converted from an orf file in Lightroom3.  ACDSee opened it quite well!  I had never tried this, I recently adopted this editor as my companion editor for lightroom and had never tried this since I always exported with edits from Lr as a 16 bit tiff file since ACDSee is fully 16 bit compliant.

I adopted the ACDSee editor because it seemed crazy to have a super expensive editor on hand to do the sort of stuff I needed an editor for.  The more I use this editor, the more impressed with it I am.  attached is a screen capture

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Gabriel Chalmeta
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, May 7, 2013

For Mac users, Aperture

-- hide signature --

gabriel

Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,543Gear list
Like?
In reply to glacierpete, May 7, 2013

glacierpete wrote:

xrdbear wrote:

-- hide signature --

Brian

Photoline 32/64 bit application. Some functions are even better than in PS like 16 bit per channel, support of CMYK and Lab, (lab curves). It is the closest PS clone I know off.

Cheap €59. Shareware concept. After 30 days the trial runs unlimited with a nag screen counting down a few second at start up.

http://www.pl32.com/

I can confirm that Photoline is able to run all my plug-ins currently running in photoshop 64 bit!

However, the questions is, is there a real alternative for the creative suite. I also need indesign and Illustrator. Corel is not a full replacement for that.

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,063Gear list
Like?
www.pl32.com ???
In reply to Gabriel Chalmeta, May 7, 2013

In time? I wonder. As my PS CS6 works very well for me, I will be waiting for the dust to clear. I am sure some serious competitor will take on Adobe - and the PS CS6 32 bit plug-ins - and all the wonderful stuff PS CS6 does.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. PS CS6 wasn't broken and produced huge profit for Adobe - and made Thomas Knoll an extremely wealthy man. PS CS6 is my last version - and I have had EVERY version since PS 1.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Mark K W
Contributing MemberPosts: 988
Like?

xrdbear wrote:

Assuming we are talking about Photoshop plugins, unless I am missing something, the creative cloud version of Photoshop is still an executable image you download and install on your local machine. That means your 3rd party plug-ins will continue to work, but since in Photoshop those plug-ins are true plug-ins and run inside Photoshop (part of same OS code thread) you will need a licensed copy of Photohsop to run Photoshop and therefore run the plugins inside Photoshop.

If your Photoshop licence expires because you have lapsed the Photoshop subscription, then your plugins are still licensed from their supplier OK, but you have no way to launch them - UNLESS they were (like Nik) also supplied in standalone version as for Lightroom or Aperture. At least Lightroom does not (currently) have a plugin architecture - those LR plugins retailed today are actually export interfaces and launchers of the standalone versions which run under their own thread under your OS.

That Photoshop subscription lapsing I think occurs max 180-days (for the 1 year contract subscription) after you last paid a subscription, and I guess immediately on internet connection after non-payment unless you firewall off your Adobe manager's software's ability to contact the subscription servers (which it does in some once every 30-day pattern, but the exact retry algorithm won't be public until people analyse it and Adobe is smart enough to make it agile anyways). If you are on monthly subscription I guess it lapses after max 30-days whatever you do.

The more complex problem will come when within the cloud versions Adobe now offers you an incremental upgrade (they are going to do upgrades more frequently right, that's one of the benefits we get) which is not compatable with your current version of your plugin, but I would presume you can somehow prevent that discrete Photoshop upgrade taking place.

In practice you have this potential problem with the existing perpetual model anyways where your Photoshop updater runs anyways.

It is not unreasonable to expect the plug-in makers to also start this subscription-only model as all the computer companies desperately try to lock us in to their technology and only their technology. The cloud part just gives them the excuse to introduce proprietary storage interfaces and as well as formats for all or parts of your property.

The regulators (whoever they are) should make it mandatory that software coming from companies which have Unreasonable Market Power (in essence = excessively high market share) is always also offered under one-time purchase against open-standard interfaces, with those interfaces kept under industry-body control.

-- hide signature --
xrdbear
xrdbear MOD
Like?
Re: www.pl32.com ???
In reply to Steve Bingham, May 7, 2013

I'm beginning to see the potential advantage of Photo Ninja which I was originally sceptical about. I can see me getting this to maintain an up to date capable RAW converter and use CS6 until all support, Adobe and Windows, ceases.

-- hide signature --

Brian

silvershoes
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
In reply to Glen Barrington, May 8, 2013

Corel Photo Paint handles PS plugins just fine. It comes with CorelDraw.

Some other programs can use specific plugins, depending on the manufacturer. After Shot Pro can run Topaz plugins with Topaz Fusion Express, which is free.

There are probably others, those are just the ones I've personally tested.

Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,481
Like?
In reply to xrdbear, May 8, 2013

xrdbear wrote:

I'm beginning to see the potential advantage of Photo Ninja which I was originally sceptical about. I can see me getting this to maintain an up to date capable RAW converter and use CS6 until all support, Adobe and Windows, ceases.

This is what I intend to do, unless better alternatives come along.  Photo Ninja trounces ACR as a raw convertor, and CS6 with Nik plug-ins is all that I need for now.  However, the day will come when I will want or need to upgrade Photoshop, and I then I will face a big decision--succumb to Adobe or find another image editor.  I think that we will see other companies filling the void, but will they be up to the task?

Rob

kenneth_manila
Like?
Forewarned is forearmed.
In reply to Steve Bingham, May 8, 2013

I am looking for alternatives right now, and will start learning to use such alternative(s).

I will not procrastinate on this.  That's another way to fall into the Adobe Trap--procrastinate, and you'll wake up one day seeing no other viable alternatives (because you do not know how to use alternative software) and being forced to pay the monthly tax.

Adobe had revealed what it thought of its customers--as dumb cows to be milked in perpetuity.

I'm glad most Photoshop users saw through this ruse, and called Adobe out on it.

(Except for the Adobe trolls seeded throughout the Internet singing praises for this asinine idea.

1.  I know a lot of people who lost their jobs in the past few years.  If they were on CC subscription, they will not be able to do odd jobs every now and then.  A couple I know were able to do some freelance jobs because they did not have to pay rent to use Photoshop.

2.  These Adobe trolls were either promised free (or significantly discounted monthly fees) access to the CC.  Nobody in their right mind would want to pay a monthly fee, in perpetuity if you want to use your tool, and have nothing to show for it at the end.  People brought up the start ups--less cost to build a business.  But project this 5 to 10 years into the future, and it just does not make any sense.)

Adobe had run out of ideas.  I haven't had problems with camera shake in 10 years.

Claiming monthly fees will make Adobe more productive, and update rollouts easier, is stupid.  DxO and Fotofusion had been productive, and had been rolling out periodic updates, without monthly fees.

The "cloud" word is a ruse.  It's an option, you use it, or not.  Same as Dropbox, same as Skydrive.  I don't use them, and I will not use the Adobe cloud drive.

It's mainly to get their monthly tax on Adobe Photoshop users.  The introductory pricing is only to lure you in.  Read the fine print, it doubles after a year, with no guarantees or limits after that.

Steve Bingham wrote:

In time? I wonder. As my PS CS6 works very well for me, I will be waiting for the dust to clear. I am sure some serious competitor will take on Adobe - and the PS CS6 32 bit plug-ins - and all the wonderful stuff PS CS6 does.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. PS CS6 wasn't broken and produced huge profit for Adobe - and made Thomas Knoll an extremely wealthy man. PS CS6 is my last version - and I have had EVERY version since PS 1.

Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,543Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robgo2, May 8, 2013

Robgo2 wrote:

xrdbear wrote:

This is what I intend to do, unless better alternatives come along.  Photo Ninja trounces ACR as a raw convertor, and CS6 with Nik plug-ins is all that I need for now.  However, the day will come when I will want or need to upgrade Photoshop, and I then I will face a big decision--succumb to Adobe or find another image editor.  I think that we will see other companies filling the void, but will they be up to the task?

Rob

The only one with enough funds is Google at the moment. They aquired NIK and they can come up with a very good editor with the nik plug-ins build in, like they did for Nikon, but then make better.

xrdbear
xrdbear MOD
Like?
In reply to Toermalijn, May 8, 2013

Toermalijn wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

xrdbear wrote:

Rob

The only one with enough funds is Google at the moment. They aquired NIK and they can come up with a very good editor with the nik plug-ins build in, like they did for Nikon, but then make better.

The trouble for me is that I need something more than an image editor. I do graphics to support my partner's web business so I'm doing logos, ad banners and screen furniture all the time. I suspect that if a point came when I could no longer use CS6 then I would probably have to move to Corel which I haven't used in 12 years. I imagine it's changed a bit 

-- hide signature --

Brian

JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
In reply to Toermalijn, May 9, 2013

Toermalijn wrote:

However, the questions is, is there a real alternative for the creative suite. I also need indesign and Illustrator. Corel is not a full replacement for that.

Just curous.  Do you think you will need upgrades to InDeisgn or Illustrator?  I have InDesign but for the simple stuff I do I wouldn't need anything more.  I don't use Illustrator.

I have lusted after new things in Photoshop, however.  I love content aware fill, for example.  But I will live with what I have now...  In the near term I will upgrade Lightroom and that reads RAW files so I can even buy new cameras with what I have now.  Until they put Lightroom in the "creative cloud" category!

I have no trust any more.  I was angry enough with the only upgrade from last version lie they told us recently.  There never will be another PS to upgrade to!

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads