Oregon Coast roadtrip.

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions
Demoguy
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?
Oregon Coast roadtrip.
May 7, 2013

I haven't been to the Oregon coast in a few years. We will be staying near Cannon Beach for three days and plan on going as far south as Newport. I have seen many of the usual places, however was wondering if there are some out of the way places with good photo opps.

I know I will go on the Three Capes Drive as the last time I was there It stayed fogged in for a whole week.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Demoguy's gear list:Demoguy's gear list
Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon D300 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +19 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,878Gear list
Like?
Re: Oregon Coast roadtrip.
In reply to Demoguy, May 7, 2013

Way down south can be nice, near the border of California.

Just north of Brookings, Oregon

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
capnblinski
Contributing MemberPosts: 533Gear list
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, May 7, 2013

Have a good time in one of the most picturesque places in the world and bring back some winners!

-dave

capnblinski's gear list:capnblinski's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +1 more
Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,766
Like?

Personally, I think I could spend a week in Ecola State Park, from the point of view of photographic opportunities.

Ecola State Park, just north of Cannon Beach, 2010.

Other spots we enjoyed: Meyers Beach and Pistol River State Park (south of Gold Beach), Harris Beach (just north of the California border), Orford Heads State Park. You probably know, but in case you don't - Yaquina Head, in Newport just below the old lighthouse, is a fantastic place to view the sunset.

-- hide signature --
opusone
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?

I went a few years back for the first time. Traveling all the way from southern California, I wasn't about to miss anything of interest and HIGHLY recommend that you extend further south to BANDON BEACH! We also stayed in wonderful Cannon Beach for a day or two, but Bandon, to me, is  THE highlight of the entire coast.

Huge offshore rocks and sand patterns make it most dramatic for image making.

My Oregon album: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/731226175/albums/oregon#page=1

All the best!

b

opusone's gear list:opusone's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Demoguy
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, May 9, 2013

Can't make it that far south this time. but next sept-Oct. I will stay in Coos Bay and hopefully get to the other great spots down south. I am getting too old to do the 2000 mile road trip in six days.;-).

Thanks,

Joe

Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon D300 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +19 more
Demoguy
Like?
In reply to Ray Ritchie, May 9, 2013

Yaquina head for sure. Ecola , I also need to go to the  Tillamook  Air Museum which is in an old dirigible hanger, and the little town of Oceanside where they have a really great restaurant on the cliff overlooking this little bay where the northern crazies surf. I'll be staying just south of Cannon Beach so I should be able to see quite a bit.

Thanks,

Joe

Demoguy
Like?
In reply to opusone, May 9, 2013

I saw the south coast of Oregon back in the mid 70's and remember Bandon. Also the dunes and all the great overlooks. I won't make it this time, however we will go to the south coast after labor day when all the RV's are safely back home:-D.

Thanks for the tip,

Joe

MikePDX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,513Gear list
Like?
In reply to Demoguy, May 9, 2013

Demoguy wrote:

I know I will go on the Three Capes Drive

Keep in mind that the Three Capes Drive may still have a spot north of Oceanside where the road is closed.  It was closed last summer, and I don't know if it has been re-opened.  The Cape Mears Lighthouse is worth the detour time.  You had to go in and out from the North side.  And then you had to go around and get into Oceanside from the South.  Were you thinking of Roseanne's Restaurant in Oceanside?  A great spot.

Another good place to eat (and drink) is the Pelican Brewpub in Pacific City, which is near the south end of the Three Capes Drive.

Enjoy your trip!

-- hide signature --

-Mike
You can observe a lot by looking - Yogi Berra
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-pdx/collections/

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Demoguy
Like?
In reply to MikePDX, May 9, 2013

Roseanne's it is, thanks for the heads up on Pacific City. We will spend most of a day in the area so the road  closure  won't be much of a problem. As I recall its a great drive which ever way you go.

Thanks,

Joe

DP Ernst
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
In reply to Demoguy, May 10, 2013

I've lived in Oregon for years and there is plenty to see in almost any location. Like others have mentioned, further south there is a lot of very cool places. Little towns like Depot Bay, Yachats and Bandon are wonderful. The south coast between Brookings and Gold Beach is fantastic.

Watch for the "summer" weather. Any time the inland valleys warm up it get cool and foggy on the coast. Just a few mile inland it may be sunny and warm, but you may not see the sun on the beach. The best months are May and September. I really love September as that's the time for great sunsets.

Here's a gallery on my web page with some Oregon Coast shots:

http://dennisernst.zenfolio.com/p979230394

Enjoy the short time you'll be there but do come back when you can stay a week or two. Oh yeah, the ocean water is always 45 degrees....brrrr. It may look nice but you need a wet suit to get wet.

Dennis Ernst

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,878Gear list
Like?
In reply to Demoguy, May 10, 2013

Demoguy wrote:

Yaquina head for sure. Ecola , I also need to go to the  Tillamook  Air Museum which is in an old dirigible hanger, and the little town of Oceanside where they have a really great restaurant on the cliff overlooking this little bay where the northern crazies surf. I'll be staying just south of Cannon Beach so I should be able to see quite a bit.

If you are in Tillamook, I think it's well worth the time to visit the cheese factory.  Especially if you like freshly-made ice cream...

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads