Is open software the only option...

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions
Marcin 3M
Senior MemberPosts: 1,290Gear list
Like?
Re: Are they mad?
In reply to ranalli, May 7, 2013

Interesting is, how many non-pros posess and use - in whatever skills level - legal version of ps3. In my place this program i horrible expensive in comparison to sallary, but I know three such users.

On my own,i rarely do pro work recently, however i've kept my cs suite up to date in reasonable way.

Sorry, but my cs5 is the lastone edition i've bought. I'm sure, that none of my ps-owning fellows won't go for a cloud.

I'm pretty sure, that Adobe is well prepared for the cloud. Also their recent step proves that theyfailed, and trying to find a new way to 'convince' customers for their idea.

Single year rebate is a joke. Not only for me, i think. I can still use my cs5 at least to the death of windows 8 era. It means 10 years or so. During this time one can decide wether to go for a cloud, or not. Or to look for alternatives. My first ps was version 4 bought somewhere in 1999. It is 14 years. At this time linux was something weird, suitable for school experiments. Gimp wasn't anything worth to look at. Since this time, gimp became almost competitor to ps - and hopefully next version 3 will bring 16bit channel. Also Scribus appeared on the scene and grown up, to the usable level. Inkscape is also interesting stuff. When my cs5 refuse to work, all these programs will be fully functiona. And these are not the only options.

So, goodbye, adobe. I like You, but You may cost me too more.

-- hide signature --

Marcin_3M

 Marcin 3M's gear list:Marcin 3M's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Nik Capture NX Phase One Capture One Pro Portrait Professional Studio 64 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Doug Pardee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,512Gear list
Like?
LightZone is coming very, very soon (Win & Linux)
In reply to Marcin 3M, May 7, 2013

Marcin 3M wrote:

After recent experiences I am almost sure, that free and open software is the only option. I hope that Gimp finally become mature piece of software. I'm also waiting for this kind of raw processor (lightzone maybe, or ufraw). Digikam can be alternative for image management...

The LightZone Project is very close to releasing its first free, open-source builds of LightZone for Windows and Linux. The Windows build looks ready to go, and we're ironing out a few glitches in the Linux beta.

It's been a lot longer road than we originally anticipated. To a considerable extent, this was because LightZone was a commercial product. It included paid-for proprietary libraries, and the builds sometimes used proprietary tools. A lot of work went into cleaning the proprietary stuff out and replacing it with open-source stuff. Pavel Beňak and the team have done a great job.

The Mac build, alas, is still a ways off. It's been a lot harder to find Mac developers than Windows and Linux developers.

Anyway, keep your eyes open. It shouldn't be much longer before the first free, open-source LightZone installation packages appear. (See my signature for the link.)

-- hide signature --

The open-source LightZone Project: http://lightzoneproject.org/

 Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Canon EOS 350D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 LG G2 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,101Gear list
Like?
Re: Is open software the only option...
In reply to Marcin 3M, May 7, 2013

Marcin 3M wrote:

As for LR remaining a perpetual licence: well, Tom Hogarty says LR5 will remain a stand-alone product, but I don't read that as a commitment (or even an indication) that it will remain stand-alone long term.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the same they told about photoshop when version cs6 arrived.

You're right, I'd forgotten that.  Now I'm even more worried.

-- hide signature --

Simon

 Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 13,081
Like?
Re: LightZone is coming very, very soon (Win & Linux)
In reply to Doug Pardee, May 8, 2013

Doug Pardee wrote:

Marcin 3M wrote:

After recent experiences I am almost sure, that free and open software is the only option. I hope that Gimp finally become mature piece of software. I'm also waiting for this kind of raw processor (lightzone maybe, or ufraw). Digikam can be alternative for image management...

The LightZone Project is very close to releasing its first free, open-source builds of LightZone for Windows and Linux. The Windows build looks ready to go, and we're ironing out a few glitches in the Linux beta.

Is LightZone a program more like Lightroom or more like Photoshop?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marcin 3M
Senior MemberPosts: 1,290Gear list
Like?
Re: LightZone is coming very, very soon (Win & Linux)
In reply to Henry Richardson, May 8, 2013

Rather lightroom...

But the best point is, that it works on Win, Mac and Linux.

-- hide signature --

Marcin_3M

 Marcin 3M's gear list:Marcin 3M's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Nik Capture NX Phase One Capture One Pro Portrait Professional Studio 64 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RetiredFire
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: Is open software the only option...
In reply to Marcin 3M, May 8, 2013

Marcin 3M wrote:

Niece, but no guarantee that it will not follow Rawshooter way.

Rawshooter disappeared because it was bought by Adobe to obtain patents on at least one function that is now included in LR.

-- hide signature --

Larry
http://larrysnatureshots.com/
50D, 70-200 f/4L IS USM, Sigma f/1.8 150mm Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8, Canon 1.4X II

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marcin 3M
Senior MemberPosts: 1,290Gear list
Like?
Re: Is open software the only option...
In reply to RetiredFire, May 8, 2013

It can be also bought.

Abobe bought many companies and ended its products. Freehand, Photostyler, Pagemaker - to name a few.

Again - only free open code can make us confident, that it product won't dissapear without a trace.

-- hide signature --

Marcin_3M

 Marcin 3M's gear list:Marcin 3M's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Nik Capture NX Phase One Capture One Pro Portrait Professional Studio 64 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Is open software the only option...
In reply to Simon Garrett, May 8, 2013

Simon Garrett wrote:

Marcin 3M wrote:

As for LR remaining a perpetual licence: well, Tom Hogarty says LR5 will remain a stand-alone product, but I don't read that as a commitment (or even an indication) that it will remain stand-alone long term.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the same they told about photoshop when version cs6 arrived.

You're right, I'd forgotten that.  Now I'm even more worried.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Adobe has ZERO credibility regarding the future of Lightroom.

-- hide signature --

9 years of Fujifilm camera usage, ended by rampant fanboyism.

 rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,765Gear list
Like?
Re: LightZone is coming very, very soon (Win & Linux)
In reply to Henry Richardson, May 9, 2013

Henry Richardson wrote:

Doug Pardee wrote:

Marcin 3M wrote:

After recent experiences I am almost sure, that free and open software is the only option. I hope that Gimp finally become mature piece of software. I'm also waiting for this kind of raw processor (lightzone maybe, or ufraw). Digikam can be alternative for image management...

The LightZone Project is very close to releasing its first free, open-source builds of LightZone for Windows and Linux. The Windows build looks ready to go, and we're ironing out a few glitches in the Linux beta.

Is LightZone a program more like Lightroom or more like Photoshop?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

None of the above. I tried it and it's more like an editor with loads of presets.

Photoline is closer to photoshop and will set you back 59 euro's. It can also run all photoshop 64 plug-ins.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads