Adobe Creative Suites going all Cloud, no more licences

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions
FtoDin5min Regular Member • Posts: 427
Re: Link as requested

Ray Ritchie wrote:

Here's the page I saw...

Does this mean I will be able to access the software pack from any pc I am on, or only the files?

-- hide signature --

FTD5

FtoDin5min's gear list:FtoDin5min's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
JacquesC
JacquesC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,070
Bye-bye Adobe !

No way will I ever consider any monthly rental for photo-editing software.

I paid the full price for my software and will use it as long as possible.

When CS6 and LR becomes unusable I will look elsewhere.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

bigpigbig Senior Member • Posts: 1,789
Re: Bye-bye Adobe !

I think they will back pedal like crazy when they find out how many sales they will lose.

The school I work at has a site license at present. The Adobe rep has already contacted us to tell us it will no longer be available for new versions. They want to charge a rental per machine!!! They are f& crazy!

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
maljo@inreach.com Veteran Member • Posts: 7,864
Photoshop user since version 1.0, I'm finished now.

The single user, small business or amateur is out of the Photoshop picture now.

Emotionally, I don't like the idea of licensing software.

Which businesses do better?  Ones that listen to their customers?  Or ones that ignore their customers?

The problem with Photoshop is it has always been too expensive.  Twenty years ago there was no alternative; $500 was a lot but I bought it.  Fifteen years ago I changed to the Mac and bought a new copy of Photoshop, probably $600 by then.  I have upgraded with every new version.  High prices encourage piracy.

Photoshop is a nice program but it's overkill for most photographers.  It will become relegated to the big pro graphic shops who can afford it and disappear as the de facto standard for most photographers.

There is a relationship between price and sales and sales will decline with the new pricing and cloud strategy.  If Adobe charged $99 for Photoshop it would have 100% market penetration and no competition and very little piracy.

Lightroom, Aperture, or Capture 1 will keep me going happily in photography.  I am testing Pixelmater for times when I want to add text or use layers.

My opinion,

maljo

maljo@inreach.com's gear list:maljo@inreach.com's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R
Re: Photoshop user since version 1.0, I'm finished now.

maljo@inreach.com wrote:

The single user, small business or amateur is out of the Photoshop picture now.

Emotionally, I don't like the idea of licensing software.

Which businesses do better?  Ones that listen to their customers?  Or ones that ignore their customers?

The problem with Photoshop is it has always been too expensive.  Twenty years ago there was no alternative; $500 was a lot but I bought it.  Fifteen years ago I changed to the Mac and bought a new copy of Photoshop, probably $600 by then.  I have upgraded with every new version.  High prices encourage piracy.

Photoshop is a nice program but it's overkill for most photographers.  It will become relegated to the big pro graphic shops who can afford it and disappear as the de facto standard for most photographers.

There is a relationship between price and sales and sales will decline with the new pricing and cloud strategy.  If Adobe charged $99 for Photoshop it would have 100% market penetration and no competition and very little piracy.

Lightroom, Aperture, or Capture 1 will keep me going happily in photography.  I am testing Pixelmater for times when I want to add text or use layers.

My opinion,

maljo

Plenty of companies have tiered pricing. Commercial use vs private use. They could still offer this. $99 for you and me and $999 for the small business and $100,000 to the NY advertising agency.

They have chosen to cut off the small customer.

The problem is that they are not offering schools a site license. It will become unaffordable and will lose its status.

Photoshop has become an adjective. Not for long. Students won't even know what it means.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Fred Mueller Senior Member • Posts: 2,529
multiple computers ?

can you have Photoshop intalled on your laptop and perhaps a tower in your home and use both ?? maybe you just have to sign in ... ?

can't find a ready answer on the Adobe pages ...

Fred Mueller's gear list:Fred Mueller's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +4 more
atrhys Forum Member • Posts: 99
Re: Link as requested

FtoDin5min wrote:

Ray Ritchie wrote:

Here's the page I saw...

Does this mean I will be able to access the software pack from any pc I am on, or only the files?

You will be able to load each program on 2 separate computers at one time. If you don't mind the hassle you can transfer the licenses to each extra computer you need but then you have to do that each time you switch back to other computers.

atrhys's gear list:atrhys's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AW 11-27.5mm +2 more
CraigBennett
CraigBennett Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: multiple computers ?

Fred Mueller wrote:

can you have Photoshop intalled on your laptop and perhaps a tower in your home and use both ?? maybe you just have to sign in ... ?

Yes, you can have it installed on two computers, but only use one at a time.  They can be Macintosh, Windows or one of each.  If you install on a third, you will be asked to uninstall on one of the others before it authorizes you.

Here's a link with Adobe's answer.

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
Re: multiple computers ?

Fred Mueller wrote:

Yes. You will have 2 licenses to each product so you can have it on 2 separate computers at the same time.

Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AW 11-27.5mm +2 more
Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 2,405

Interesting - seems they are following the corporate world where licenses have to be renewed every year - well they claim it is a maintenance fee, if you want the latest patches and updates...

I think this is their way to combat privateers - same as all games now make you call back to the home server to confirm that you have paid their fee.

Of course, with a monthly subscription - guess we can batch our processing and cancel the subscription for the quiet months.

But most will start to look elsewhere.

Canadianguy wrote:

Interesting - seems they are following the corporate world where licenses have to be renewed every year - well they claim it is a maintenance fee, if you want the latest patches and updates...

I think this is their way to combat privateers - same as all games now make you call back to the home server to confirm that you have paid their fee.

Of course, with a monthly subscription - guess we can batch our processing and cancel the subscription for the quiet months.

But most will start to look elsewhere.

Get this, you can't even put it in a build.

It would need to be installed on 350 computers one at a time!

As I said, are they f& crazy?!?!?!

CraigBennett
Re: Adobe Creative Suites going all Cloud, no more licences

ScottnLaguna wrote:

News story is on home page of Dpreview.com

This is discouraging to many, as now it is all "for rent." Monthly payments and storage of images on the cloud.

There will be no CS7.

After I sold my studio and moved across country, I had to decide if I wanted to purchase or lease.  I went with the cloud option simply because I use a lot of Adobe products for my business (Dreamweaver, InDesign, Lightroom, Photoshop) and the monthly fee is a good price point for me.

It is a business expense that is part of operating a company.

Now, if I did not have a business, I would be seriously looking for an alternative.  Their move toward this business model might encourage competition, though I do see why they made this decision.  It levels their money stream and allows them to budget more appropriately their R&D efforts.  It could turn out to be very beneficial to us in the long run with new and frequent innovations....or it could be their doom.  Time will tell.

Regards,

-- hide signature --
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
CraigBennett
Re: multiple computers? - correction

CraigBennett wrote:

Fred Mueller wrote:

Yes, you can have it installed on two computers, but only use one at a time.  They can be Macintosh, Windows or one of each.  If you install on a third, you will be asked to uninstall on one of the others before it authorizes you.

Here's a link with Adobe's answer.

I re-read their policy, looks like you can use both computers at the same time.

Regards,

-- hide signature --
kenwj Contributing Member • Posts: 573

ScottnLaguna wrote:

kenwj wrote:

How much a month for Photoshop and Lightroom?

Unless you are a student or meet some other criteria, it is $49 a month. See story on home page.

I currently pay about $300 every 18 months for upgrades.  Now I will have to pay $600 a year for the whole package just to use PS and LR.  I don't need the rest of it.  Lovely.  Sounds like I will be using my copy of LR4 and CS6 for many years to come.

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
alabaster Senior Member • Posts: 1,581
Re: Bye-bye Adobe !

JacquesC wrote:

No way will I ever consider any monthly rental for photo-editing software.

I paid the full price for my software and will use it as long as possible.

When CS6 and LR becomes unusable I will look elsewhere.

Monthly rent for software - wow. "Hi darling, we can't feed the kids tonight, I just had to pay the monthly rent to Adobe!"

Honestly this is capitalism gone mad. Hell I can just about get my head around the idea of paying off a phone over 24months on contract, but even there I own the phone at the end. With Adobe's business model, I never own anything. I become a Digital Serf.

Western Civilization grew up on the notion of private property rights. I guess the new capitalism says we never own what we pay for, just keep feeding the landlord.

-- hide signature --
 alabaster's gear list:alabaster's gear list
Nikon D810 +1 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,321

I don't trust Scott Kelby.

kenwj Contributing Member • Posts: 573

Michael Kaplan wrote:

The per product $29.95 is if you take monthly. It is $19.95/month if you sign up for a term. Starting to sound a lot like cellular. Where's my free phone?

When you say per product...is PS and LR bundled for that price?

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,239

kenwj wrote:

ScottnLaguna wrote:

kenwj wrote:

How much a month for Photoshop and Lightroom?

Unless you are a student or meet some other criteria, it is $49 a month. See story on home page.

I currently pay about $300 every 18 months for upgrades.  Now I will have to pay $600 a year for the whole package just to use PS and LR.  I don't need the rest of it.  Lovely.  Sounds like I will be using my copy of LR4 and CS6 for many years to come.

Well, no - LR will still be available as a standalone package, and you will most likely be able to upgrade your existing copy. The first-year cost for one CS app, say PS, is $10/month for users with CS3 or above, if you enroll by the end of July. Future pricing is anyone's guess - but I'll guess "higher."

-- hide signature --
 Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
Bryan Murahashi Senior Member • Posts: 1,067
What about GIMP?

I'll probably try it out.

Bryan

That would be the price for PS or, assumably, LR alone. If you needed 2 products it would probably be worth it just to upgrade to the full CC.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads