Adobe Creative Suites going all Cloud, no more licences

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions
ScottnLaguna
ScottnLaguna Contributing Member • Posts: 756
Adobe Creative Suites going all Cloud, no more licences

News story is on home page of Dpreview.com

This is discouraging to many, as now it is all "for rent." Monthly payments and storage of images on the cloud.

There will be no CS7.

ScottnLaguna's gear list:ScottnLaguna's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
kenwj Contributing Member • Posts: 573
Re: Adobe Creative Suites going all Cloud, no more licences

How much a month for Photoshop and Lightroom?

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
ScottnLaguna
OP ScottnLaguna Contributing Member • Posts: 756

kenwj wrote:

How much a month for Photoshop and Lightroom?

Unless you are a student or meet some other criteria, it is $49 a month. See story on home page.

Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
atrhys Forum Member • Posts: 99

It's normally $49/mo ($29/mo for students) but if you are upgrading from certain versions you get 1 year for $29/mo ($19/mo for students). If you aren't upgrading you can usually find it on sale for those prices once or twice a year. Per product it's $29/mo although I'm not sure about student discounts or sales for this one.

I have the Creative Cloud suite and since I use quite a few Adobe products this is a great thing to have.

atrhys's gear list:atrhys's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AW 11-27.5mm +2 more
ScottRH
ScottRH Senior Member • Posts: 1,753

Cloud is a money maker for Cloud Providers.

Michael Kaplan
Michael Kaplan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,401

$49.95 is for the complete CS6 You can get just Photoshop CC for $19.95. Lightroom it seems is staying as a purchase.

-- hide signature --

Michael Kaplan
http://www.pbase.com/mkaplan
See my profile for equipment list

Michael Kaplan's gear list:Michael Kaplan's gear list
Sony a9 Nikon Z7 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony RX100 III +28 more
Michael Kaplan
Michael Kaplan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,401

The per product $29.95 is if you take monthly. It is $19.95/month if you sign up for a term. Starting to sound a lot like cellular. Where's my free phone?

-- hide signature --

Michael Kaplan
http://www.pbase.com/mkaplan
See my profile for equipment list

Michael Kaplan's gear list:Michael Kaplan's gear list
Sony a9 Nikon Z7 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony RX100 III +28 more
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,762

Michael wrote:

Where's my free phone?

Free computer to run the software if you commit to a 3 year plan. Makes sense

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

Michael Kaplan wrote:

The per product $29.95 is if you take monthly. It is $19.95/month if you sign up for a term. Starting to sound a lot like cellular. Where's my free phone?

I must be doing something wrong. My iPhone service is costing me a lot more than $19.95 per month.

If Photoshop is going to be $29.95 per month, that is $539.10 for 18 months. That is a significant price increase from purchasing upgrades. Guess I'll be using CS6 for a long time.

Being able to rent the entire Creative Suite for $50 per month would be useful for someone who only uses it once or twice a year. Doesn't work for the hobbyist.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

fritz982 Forum Member • Posts: 53

I'm finished buying it that I know. CS6 is my last Adobe product!

lanefAU
lanefAU Veteran Member • Posts: 6,348

fritz982 wrote:

Same here, CS6 is the last Mohican for me; I am not going to feed the fat belly of price gougers. At the end of the day, it will bite their backside very badly.  Look like their  greedy  CEO's have started a collective Harakiri.

lanefAU's gear list:lanefAU's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Canon G1 X II Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
ScottnLaguna
OP ScottnLaguna Contributing Member • Posts: 756

fritz982 wrote:

I just bought CS6 a week ago. Maybe that is a good thing. I probably won't need to upgrade for a long time anyway. The end of an era.

G K Senior Member • Posts: 1,742

Likewise. I have CS5, will upgrade to CS6 shortly and that will be it for me forever.

-- hide signature --

Buck

G K's gear list:G K's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D800E
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,138
What you're all forgetting...

ScottnLaguna wrote:

This is discouraging to many, as now it is all "for rent." Monthly payments and storage of images on the cloud.

There will be no CS7.

My first reaction is like a lot you here.  No way Adobe!!!  Not going to buy your product anymore.  CS6 is my last version.

OK, fine.  But don't forget that the latest version of ACR is needed to work with new cameras.  How long will Adobe continue to release new versions of ACR 7.x?  Is your current camera your last camera?  If not, then you only have 3 options.

1. Switch over to DNG format (assuming Adobe supports future cameras with DNG updates)

2. Give in to the beast and go Cloud.

3. Give up on Adobe and switch to one of the alternative editors.

Personally, I think Adobe is making a big mistake here.  But I'm not a marketing expert.  Maybe they know what they're doing.  But I'll give up photography before I move to a cloud photo processing solution.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +30 more
Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,239

I would like to think that strategy would work, as I just bought CS6 about six months ago, and I upgraded my computer less than a year ago. But my experience is that it only takes 3 years or so before something in the software/ computer hardware complex becomes irretrievably incompatible. CS6 will not run on some future OS, or I will upgrade my camera and there will be no raw support, or some new piece of hardware (e. g., a new scanner) will be incompatible with the old software, or something. So I'd say we'll be lucky if we can keep CS6 afloat another 3 years, and I'll be delighted if it still works 5 years from now. But I won't count on it.

Either the model will work financially for Adobe or it won't. If it doesn't, they'll change the pricing or change the model. If it does, most of us will either find new alternatives (which I'm not optimistic about) or we'll have to figure out a way to work with the new model.

Since CS6 users can get their first year on Creative Cloud for $20/month, I may give it a try starting in July, just to see how it works.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
Tony Beach Forum Pro • Posts: 11,967
Re: What you're all forgetting...

michaeladawson wrote:

ScottnLaguna wrote:

There will be no CS7.

My first reaction is like a lot you here.  No way Adobe!!!  Not going to buy your product anymore.  CS6 is my last version.

OK, fine.  But don't forget that the latest version of ACR is needed to work with new cameras.  How long will Adobe continue to release new versions of ACR 7.x?  Is your current camera your last camera?  If not, then you only have 3 options.

1. Switch over to DNG format (assuming Adobe supports future cameras with DNG updates)

4. Use another Raw converter, convert to TIFF, then edit in an older version of CS.

Adobe is smoking something...

Ray Ritchie wrote:

I would like to think that strategy would work, as I just bought CS6 about six months ago, and I upgraded my computer less than a year ago. But my experience is that it only takes 3 years or so before something in the software/ computer hardware complex becomes irretrievably incompatible. CS6 will not run on some future OS, or I will upgrade my camera and there will be no raw support, or some new piece of hardware (e. g., a new scanner) will be incompatible with the old software, or something. So I'd say we'll be lucky if we can keep CS6 afloat another 3 years, and I'll be delighted if it still works 5 years from now. But I won't count on it.

Either the model will work financially for Adobe or it won't. If it doesn't, they'll change the pricing or change the model. If it does, most of us will either find new alternatives (which I'm not optimistic about) or we'll have to figure out a way to work with the new model.

Since CS6 users can get their first year on Creative Cloud for $20/month, I may give it a try starting in July, just to see how it works.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

The news blurb on the DP Review site quotes Adobe as saying something like "as a concession to existing Photoshop users the price of the subscription is about the same as the cost for the average 18 month upgrade cycle."  What???

I pay something like $169 or $179 for my upgrades.  There is ALWAYS a coupon deal to be had.  Over an 18 month period this amounts to $10 per month.  I have seen nothing in the news release that said the monthly subscription fee is $10.  I've seen $20 as the cheapest cost with a long term subscription.  Have I missed something?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Tony Beach wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

ScottnLaguna wrote:

There will be no CS7.

4. Use another Raw converter, convert to TIFF, then edit in an older version of CS.

True, that is an option.  No way I'm complicating my work flow like that...  unless I have absolutely no choice.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Arretose Senior Member • Posts: 1,114

With the subscription service of CS, are you forced to save your work on the cloud, or do you have the option to save and process images only using your processor/hard drive and not the web/cloud?

If the later is not an option, this is a violation of privacy as they keep info on their servers.

I understand the fact- if you don't like, don't use. I will vote with my wallet:

Adobe can shove it!
--
Chris
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crossphotography/

Tony Beach Forum Pro • Posts: 11,967

michaeladawson wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

ScottnLaguna wrote:

There will be no CS7.

True, that is an option.  No way I'm complicating my work flow like that...  unless I have absolutely no choice.

I've never liked ACR, so my workflow has been to use Capture One to do conversions for several years now.  I find Capture One does a better job for my purposes than ACR.  I don't consider it complicated at all, the converted TIFF is opened automatically in Photoshop which makes it absolutely seamless.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads