6D Users: Do You Use WiFi?

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions
MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,760Gear list
Like?
6D Users: Do You Use WiFi?
May 6, 2013

The wifi features of the 6D sound very useful. I would like to hear from any 6D owners about their experience with this feature -- Do you use it, is it really useful, and how do you use it?

Thanks!

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,934Gear list
Like?
Re: 6D Users: Do You Use WiFi?
In reply to MarshallG, May 6, 2013

No, have no interest at all, would rather they have leaved it out and sold them cheaper.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Boxsternoob56
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
In reply to ASR45, May 6, 2013

once to test my iphone and its use for live view/trigger...not once since January though.

GPS however is on all the time (except of course you have to turn it off when not using for a day or so otherwise you'll come back to a flat battery

-- hide signature --

Stuart

Boxsternoob56's gear list:Boxsternoob56's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +20 more
Y Hafting
Contributing MemberPosts: 787
Like?

MarshallG wrote:

The wifi features of the 6D sound very useful. I would like to hear from any 6D owners about their experience with this feature -- Do you use it, is it really useful, and how do you use it?

Thanks!

For remote triggering/ tripod work/ self portraits, staged group shots/ together with a smartphone/ ipad = very good.

For file transfer = not so good (too slow compared to USB 2.0, but this is as expected, most wifi devices go below 50MBit/s, and so does this camera- compare this to 480 M/Bit with USB 2, the wifi is not in the same ballpark.

The interface is in its infancy. It can be easier in use, but it does the job.

-Yngve

db.
db.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,234Gear list
Like?

I do not own the 6D yet (so my state-
ment may be somewhat theoretical).

But as I do a lot of work with the cam-
era on a tripod, at times above my head,
at others below my belly button (and as
the 6D lacks the—IMO most convenient—
swivel-screen I have used for that on the
60D in all such occasions), I'm convinced
I *shall* appreciate the wifi for precise
framing with a smart-phone in most of
those instances.

-- hide signature --

db.

db.'s gear list:db.'s gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,560Gear list
Like?
In reply to db., May 6, 2013

db. wrote:

I do not own the 6D yet (so my state-
ment may be somewhat theoretical).

But as I do a lot of work with the cam-
era on a tripod, at times above my head,
at others below my belly button (and as
the 6D lacks the—IMO most convenient—
swivel-screen I have used for that on the
60D in all such occasions), I'm convinced
I *shall* appreciate the wifi for precise
framing with a smart-phone in most of
those instances.

I have used my Android phone twice, but the setup time to turn on wifi and connect my phone is more of a nuisance to me than not. I agree with db - a swivel/articulating LCD on back is great. I have one on my NEX 5N and it's been more convenient for me when shooting flowers and stuff near the ground instead of needing to lay down to use my 6D's LCD screen or VF. I suppose if I am taking my time and have a a tripod with me then I'd use wifi, but most of the time I am coming onto a scene and just want to shoot.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 OnePlus One +2 more
Felunk
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?

I've used iphone control to do family portraits(with the 2 second timer on), handy for that but not a feature most pros here would use.  Other than that if stop at a restaurant we will upload to google+/facebook. And on the home network when I don't feel like going to the desktop i'll review/delete OOF shots while watching TV.  That said, i'd trade this feature for the 5Dm3 AF in a heartbeat if given the choice.

panoviews
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, May 6, 2013

Using also a Nexus 7 the WiFi is great to check the images. Raw on SD and a low-res image via WiFi to the tablet. And instead of the radio remote it's possible to use the Android app. For me a very useful feature of the 6D.

panoviews's gear list:panoviews's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Jostian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,456Gear list
Like?
In reply to panoviews, May 6, 2013

I use the WiFi pretty often mainly to go through photos on the camera using my phone, I find it quite convenient to scroll through all photos on the camera and save any I want to the phone from the camera so they can be shared, emailed etc. Useful to quickly show people what photos one has taken, easier doing it on phone.
--
Jostian

Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,660Gear list
Like?
No/NT

No/NT

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
mountaingirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 633
Like?

Yes!!!  I found it a bit cumbersome to set up but use it all the time.  One of the reasons I bought the 6d....

Give it a try..........

JLim22
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
In reply to Felunk, May 6, 2013

Felunk wrote:

I've used iphone control to do family portraits(with the 2 second timer on), handy for that but not a feature most pros here would use.  Other than that if stop at a restaurant we will upload to google+/facebook. And on the home network when I don't feel like going to the desktop i'll review/delete OOF shots while watching TV.  That said, i'd trade this feature for the 5Dm3 AF in a heartbeat if given the choice.

I've used it for family portraits as well and to upload in different social medias. Its not a feature that's used everyday, but in those times, I thought it was pretty useful and convenient.

On a side note, most pros probably don't use the Canon 6D and most here in this forum are probably not pros.

JLim22's gear list:JLim22's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
GHwell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,709Gear list
Like?
Re: no

I do not own any other thing that works on wifi

Adam
Regular MemberPosts: 137
Like?
Yes, a lot!
In reply to MarshallG, May 7, 2013

I am surprised so many people are saying no... The Wifi has been invaluable to me. Maybe because I am taking photos for people, and can show them and / or email them copies right away, or when I am taking product or real estate photos and can review them on a bigger screen than the back of the camera...

A few tips that may help... The Wifi function is available from the quick menu, so it is just a few clicks from there to turn it on and off (once its set up), so it's not a big deal. Also, if you use a laptop with the camera, you have found that you have to set up a connection for each local network (maybe there is a direct way like with a phone, but I haven't found it yet), but I discovered today that if I set up a network connection with the wifi hotspot function of my phone, I can just use this everywhere, and not need to select or create different connections depending on where I am... Very cool.

fyngyrz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449Gear list
Like?
Yes
In reply to MarshallG, May 8, 2013

I use it constantly to remote control the camera via my iPad. If the USB cable connector dies, as it did on my last camera, I'll also use it to transfer images, even though that's relatively slow. I don't like pulling and replacing the memory card, so that's the absolute last choice.

I use the GPS regularly too. Among other things, I'm a rock collector, it's a great way to document finds.

-- hide signature --
 fyngyrz's gear list:fyngyrz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +13 more
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,681
Like?
Nope. (nt)

MarshallG wrote:

Thanks!

James Cricket
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
Yes.
In reply to Great Bustard, May 8, 2013

I use it regularly to send photos to my iPhone for up to the minute pics at events. Seems faster connecting directly rather than a router  but it obviously can't compete with a card reader.

Nerv0usT1ck
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?

works well as a picture viewer but the app needs work on the phones in order to use on a regular basis to take shots. the dslr controller app for android is more user friendly in this respect, even though it requires a cord you have to search the internet for. One other aspect I need to figure out, is why it won't trigger an off camera strobe. im guessing this is something in the settings?

Nerv0usT1ck's gear list:Nerv0usT1ck's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 550D +2 more
tommy leong
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jostian, May 8, 2013

Jostian wrote:

I use the WiFi pretty often mainly to go through photos on the camera using my phone, I find it quite convenient to scroll through all photos on the camera and save any I want to the phone from the camera so they can be shared, emailed etc. Useful to quickly show people what photos one has taken, easier doing it on phone.
--
Jostian

Jostian

What is the speed of saving a small size photo for Facebook sharing to your phone?
Just give an average speed
Thanks

kmckinnon
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?

Yes.  I use it to show proofs to clients from an iPad.  The larger image size displayed by a tablet is especially good when reviewing posed images.

-- hide signature --

kmckinnon

kmckinnon's gear list:kmckinnon's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads