Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions
Jack D.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,046Gear list
Like?
I need help
May 6, 2013

Hello Every1:

Here is a photo taken some time ago:

After PPing and seeing final version I have noticed ugly colours on my grandson's head. It can be removed by correct use of Topaz but there is another bad thing: the highlights are blown there and on boy's right arm.

I know that it can be easily (?) fixed using Photoshop masks etc but I don't know how to to it.

Can anyone fix it giving me work flow with all numbers etc?

RAW file available upon request.

Thanx in advance.

Jack

asoftwind
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,249
Like?
Re: I need help
In reply to Jack D., May 7, 2013

-- hide signature --

Claude

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
benross
Contributing MemberPosts: 833
Like?

You will be better off working on your RAW file. I can't give you numbers because I don't have any (that you could use) since this edit was done with Pixelmator.

I duplicated the layer. On top layer I colour selected the cyan ring on his forehead. I extended the colour selection range to include the cyan halo around his face and the in his heir. This range of-course includes lots of areas in the image but for that parts I could mask the layer and use the original layer instead.

I then used the hue - saturation and luminance tools to change the cyan to a colour of its proximity. It was done with trial and error. but I think I improved it somewhat.

Jack D.
Like?
In reply to benross, May 7, 2013

Thanks for your help, guys.

Asoftwind: I like what you have done with highlights (this is, what I was looking for) but I don't like an idea of making it soooo colorish.

If I could keep original color together with your blown highlights fixed job - just like benross done it - it would be just great.

But how have you done it? Cloning?

Babine
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,328
Like?

Jack D. wrote:

Hello Every1:

Here is a photo taken some time ago:

After PPing and seeing final version I have noticed ugly colours on my grandson's head. It can be removed by correct use of Topaz but there is another bad thing: the highlights are blown there and on boy's right arm.

I know that it can be easily (?) fixed using Photoshop masks etc but I don't know how to to it.

Can anyone fix it giving me work flow with all numbers etc?

RAW file available upon request.

Thanx in advance.

Jack

I used ACR to lighten overall, decrease the highlights somewhat and saturate. In CS, I used masks to selectively recolour, add light rays, darken BG, etc to draw a bit more attention to the subject and his lion.

-- hide signature --

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
http://www.pbase.com/pictek
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

asoftwind
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,249
Like?

Jack D. wrote:

Thanks for your help, guys.

Asoftwind: I like what you have done with highlights (this is, what I was looking for) but I don't like an idea of making it soooo colorish.

If I could keep original color together with your blown highlights fixed job - just like benross done it - it would be just great.

But how have you done it? Cloning?

Highlights were fixed with a mix of Darken, Luminosity, and Color blend modes. And other tools too. For instance, in the case of his hair I used a hair brush and painted using an adjacent color. I worked section by section. Took a lot of time. I used Elements. If you would like the colors less saturated all you have to do is reduce saturation in Hue/Saturation. Try the following settings:

Reds: Sat -5, Lum -18. Yellows: Sat -50, Lum +2.

-- hide signature --

Claude

Jack Sofield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,103
Like?
In reply to Babine, May 7, 2013

Way to go Gary.  Looks great.

-- hide signature --

Always teach for understanding, not agreement.
JC Sofield
www.pbase.com/jcsofield

Babine
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,328
Like?
Cheers Jack Thanks. nt.
In reply to Jack Sofield, May 7, 2013
-- hide signature --

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
http://www.pbase.com/pictek
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Jack D.
Like?
Re: Thank you all. (nt)
In reply to Babine, May 8, 2013
No text.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads