Do i need to buy 35mm prime lens for portrait?

Started May 6, 2013 | Questions
bewithsuresh
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Do i need to buy 35mm prime lens for portrait?
May 6, 2013

Hi,

I just bought Nikon D5200 with kit lens 18 - 105 mm.

Do i need to buy 35mm prime lens for portrait?

I mostly shoot picture of my little daughter and landscape.

Thanks,

Suresh.

bewithsuresh's gear list:bewithsuresh's gear list
Nikon D5200
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
skalfyfan
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Re: Do i need to buy 35mm prime lens for portrait?
In reply to bewithsuresh, May 6, 2013

bewithsuresh wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Suresh.

As an amateur new photographer I would say you don't HAVE to buy a 35mm prime lens but it wouldn't hurt depending on what kind of shots you want.

Out in the daytime you should be perfectly fine setting your 18-105mm to 35mm, if that's the FL you like, and taking your shots.

Now if you would like to be taking portrait-y type shots in lower light conditions and looking to have some really nice "bokeh" out of focus blurring going on then you should probably look at one of the primes. Either 35mm, 50mm f/1.8g, 85mm f/1.8g.

You can experiment which prime would suit you better by just using your 18-105 at 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and seeing what kind of framing and shooting distance you prefer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mssimo
Contributing MemberPosts: 891Gear list
Like?
In reply to skalfyfan, May 6, 2013

skalfyfan wrote:

bewithsuresh wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Suresh.

As an amateur new photographer I would say you don't HAVE to buy a 35mm prime lens but it wouldn't hurt depending on what kind of shots you want.

Out in the daytime you should be perfectly fine setting your 18-105mm to 35mm, if that's the FL you like, and taking your shots.

Now if you would like to be taking portrait-y type shots in lower light conditions and looking to have some really nice "bokeh" out of focus blurring going on then you should probably look at one of the primes. Either 35mm, 50mm f/1.8g, 85mm f/1.8g.

You can experiment which prime would suit you better by just using your 18-105 at 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and seeing what kind of framing and shooting distance you prefer.

Everyone's 2nd lens should be a 50mm f1.8G. Quality is much better than a 5 or 6X zoom and you can get great bokeh with it. It will also be your go to indoor lens. The 35mm f1.8G is also great.

-- hide signature --
 Mssimo's gear list:Mssimo's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +3 more
PepsiCan
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mssimo, May 6, 2013

Mssimo wrote:

skalfyfan wrote:

bewithsuresh wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Suresh.

Everyone's 2nd lens should be a 50mm f1.8G. Quality is much better than a 5 or 6X zoom and you can get great bokeh with it. It will also be your go to indoor lens. The 35mm f1.8G is also great.

-- hide signature --

The classic portrait lenses for 35mm film (full frame) are

50mm for waste-up shots

85mm for head+shoulders

Of course, due to the crop factor you need wider lenses on DX. The closest equivalents you can get are the 35mm DX (52.5mm on DX) and a 60mm macro lens (tamron and nikon both sell good ones). The latter is 90mm on DX but that is closer to the ideal of 85mm than a 50mm would take you. Nikon used to have a 58mm prime but that is only available second hand.

PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,026Gear list
Like?
In reply to bewithsuresh, May 6, 2013

You don't need it, but I bet you'd like it.

35mm on a DX camera (like yours) works pretty well for general use, and for full-length portraits of one or more people in a small group.

50mm is a kind of awkward focal length on DX, as it tends to be a little too long or not long enough.   But it can work well for head-and-shoulders portraits, and baby shots too.

85mm works great on DX or FX, but it can be too long on DX indoors.

The 35F1.8 DX is a great little lens for the price.   I think it's the same price as the 50 F1.8g, and it's overall going to be a more useful focal length.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,586Gear list
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, May 6, 2013

The 50mm 1.8 G would be my advice. You will get beautiful bokeh with that if you select a wide enough aperture. The older 50mm 1.8 AF-D would also work, although manual focus only on the D5100.

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +5 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,630Gear list
Like?
In reply to bewithsuresh, May 7, 2013

35mm is a pretty good focal length to use as a standard lens on DX and the fast aperture will help with low light and shallow depth of field. The 35mm f1.8 is pretty good. I might go wider, e.g. a Sigma 30mm f1.4. I actually liked my Sigma 24mm f1.8 when using a DX body.

It is a good choice for full body or environmental portrait where you want to inlude her surroundings, but not as good for head and shoulder portrait as it won't give you the right perspective for a flattering image. I like 85mm if you have room to use it, though maybe 60 or 70mm would be more versatile indoors. It depends what you mean by portrait and where you intend to use it. Look at the focal lengths you most use on your zoom, or those that produce your favourite images.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,092Gear list
Like?

bewithsuresh wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Suresh.

Hello Suresh and welcome to our world. Let me suggest you not purchase anything else until you get used to and learn your camera and current lens. That lens is very good. After you've spent serious time with the lens you have, you'll be better able to tell whether you need the extra two exposure stops the 35 f/1.8 will give you. Personally, I think you'd be happy just using what you have. That 18-105 VR is a very sharp, high quality lens. Learn it first.

Take care, my friend.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,456
Like?
No

Rule of thumb... if you have to ask such a question then the answer is always NO.

You determine your own needs and where your equipment falls short for your use, not others.

EKB
EKB
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mssimo, May 8, 2013

Mssimo wrote:

skalfyfan wrote:

bewithsuresh wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Suresh.

I'll endorse the idea that everyone's second lens should be a prime. In fact, I'm a little surprised that "zoom plus prime" isn't commonly offered as a two-lens kit. But whether that prime should be a 50mm or a 35mm depends.

In my case, I got a 35mm right away to go with the 18-105 kit zoom, and added a 50mm some time later. I still use the 35 somewhat more than the 50, but the 50 definitely does get used. However, I could easily see someone else being in the reversed position, with a 50mm being the #1 go-to prime, and a 35 being a possible later purchase.

EKB's gear list:EKB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
david4546
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
In reply to EKB, May 8, 2013

I started with the same combination with my D7000: 18-105 and 35 1.8. The former is my outdoor lens and the latter is the indoor jack of all trades. It seems portraits are important so I'd strongly suggest the 85 1.8 as a third lens. The 50 is too close to the 35. The 85 is a dream for portraits and for indoor shooting beyond the confines of a house (think kids sports, school plays, parties, etc. ).

EKB
EKB
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
In reply to david4546, May 8, 2013

david4546 wrote:

I started with the same combination with my D7000: 18-105 and 35 1.8. The former is my outdoor lens and the latter is the indoor jack of all trades. It seems portraits are important so I'd strongly suggest the 85 1.8 as a third lens. The 50 is too close to the 35. The 85 is a dream for portraits and for indoor shooting beyond the confines of a house (think kids sports, school plays, parties, etc. ).

Different people have different preferences. I don't find the 50 to be too close to the 35 at all, and I believe that I would find 85mm to be too far from 50mm - the next prime I'd like to get is a 70mm f/1.8 (if anyone were ever to make such a thing).

The 50 is short for "formal"-style portraits. But I find it to be a good length for "indoor events." Yes, sometimes I might wish for longer, but 50mm is usually just right for me when indoors-beyond-the-house. And a large minority of the time, 50mm works well in the house. The 35mm is still my #1 go-to prime for inside, but the 50mm makes a very competent #2.

EKB's gear list:EKB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,649
Like?
In reply to bewithsuresh, May 8, 2013

bewithsuresh wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Suresh.

No

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads