Adapters with aperture

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions
jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
Adapters with aperture
May 6, 2013

I'd love to have the Tokina 11-16 Nikon version working on my Nex, but as you know aperture has no ring.

Putting an aperture ring and removing electronics would cost Tokina less than the original lens, and instead they came out at NAB with a CINE version costing... 2k$, losing hundreds of potential buyers.

Absurd!

Anyway, I've seen on ebay some chinese adapters for nikon mount with a manual aperture ring.. has anyone tried them? Do they work?

Example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tilt-Nikon-F-Lens-Sony-E-Mount-Adapter-Ring-For-NEX-7K-NEX-5N-NEX-F3-NEX-VG10-/390572953172?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item5aeff64e54

richiemccaw
Regular MemberPosts: 433Gear list
Like?
Re: Adapters with aperture
In reply to jazzroy1972, May 6, 2013

I would love to know about this too. The Tokina 11-16 seems like a decent wide angle option for me at a more comfortable price than the Zeiss 12 or Sony 10-18.

richiemccaw's gear list:richiemccaw's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
echolsphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 598Gear list
Like?

I have a "Fotga" brand from ebay 20.00.

It works, tho the little bolt that extends thru the adapter to push the aperture lever was too long and I had to shorten it a bit. Its pretty crude. The difference between f2.8 and 8 is a little turn, there are no markings so you don't know any setting for sure except wide open and completely shut.

It would be worth spend more for more control, but I'm not sure if there is such a thing.

If you look at the back of your Nikon lens, there is a small lever that controls the aperture, these adapters just have a ring with a bolt sticking thru that pushes that lever. You can try with your finger and see how it would work.

Knallberto
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
This is NOT for aperture

Your link shows a TILT adapter, you cannot change aperture with TILT ... it changes lens axe from 0° to 8°

rojj
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
Re: This is NOT for aperture
In reply to Knallberto, May 6, 2013

I own a Tokina 11-16mm and use it with the 5N.  I purchased a VELLO brand (LA-NEX-NG) Sony NEX to Nikon G Lens adaptar from B&H.  I think it may have been about $60.  It works well with the lens, has a ring to control the aperture on the Tokina, a tripod mount that you can remove with a slim screwdriver, and is a perfect fit for both the camera and the lens.  You could probably find a cheaper adapter, but I was willing to pay a few dollars more knowing the adapter would fit properly and without problems.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,644Gear list
Like?
In reply to rojj, May 7, 2013

rojj wrote:

I own a Tokina 11-16mm and use it with the 5N.  I purchased a VELLO brand (LA-NEX-NG) Sony NEX to Nikon G Lens adaptar from B&H.  I think it may have been about $60.  It works well with the lens, has a ring to control the aperture on the Tokina, a tripod mount that you can remove with a slim screwdriver, and is a perfect fit for both the camera and the lens.  You could probably find a cheaper adapter, but I was willing to pay a few dollars more knowing the adapter would fit properly and without problems.

This one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839148-REG/vello_la_nex_ng_lens_mount_adapter.html

Thanks for the recommendation.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,644Gear list
Like?
Re: adapter for aperture = $ 23
In reply to Knallberto, May 7, 2013
 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
rojj
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
In reply to captura, May 7, 2013

That's it.  You won't be disappointed.

jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
In reply to rojj, May 7, 2013

Vello one is an interesting solution.

This is better than what happens for Canon, where the adapter doesn't move the aperture control but has its own second aperture petals inside the adapter.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

jafary
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
In reply to jazzroy1972, May 7, 2013

I got one adapter with aperture ring from eBay, and then another one from Amazon, made by Fotodiox and more than twice the price, but with much better build quality. I ended up leaving the eBay version always attached to a Nikon AI lens because the release switch is hard to operate. I'm using the Fotodiox adapter as intended, to change aperture on my Nikon G and compatible lenses and it works very well.

jafary's gear list:jafary's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads