7100 - 1.3 crop?

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions
bobgeorge
Contributing MemberPosts: 587Gear list
Like?
7100 - 1.3 crop?
May 6, 2013

Has anyone used the 1.3 crop?  If so, do you find it effective? Thanks!

bobgeorge's gear list:bobgeorge's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
guidodg
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?
Re: 7100 - 1.3 crop?
In reply to bobgeorge, May 6, 2013

It is a completely useless feature in my opinion...

guidodg's gear list:guidodg's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
johnty
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?

Used it a few times when I first got the D7100,but soon realised that it was a waste of time as the shots were much better doing the crop post process after, and it only makes you take shots when birds are too distant to be of any use anyway, and then you end up cropping the crop as it was with the resultant poor quality. The best way is to use the full 24m pixels and crop on the computer if needed. I have plenty of recent shots with the D7100 AND 300F4+TC1.4 on my flickr. It is the best DX camera I have had, and I have my D7000 now as a backup body as that also is a great camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johntymon/

engbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,348
Like?
In reply to johnty, May 6, 2013

I do not use it.  I suppose there might be some situations, such as where the extra frame rate is important,  or where editing is not practical, when it could be useful.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/bertramm
pbase & dpreview supporter

MHenckel
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to engbert, May 6, 2013

Very usefull to reach higher frame rate.

I use it in Cl mode ( set to 5fps) to extend the number of shots before the buffer fills.

I get around 50 shots at 1,3 crop 12 bit compressed raw with Sandisk 96 mbps card before bufferl fills

JoeR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,952Gear list
Like?

The only advantage to using the 1.3X is the extra frame rate. It is more difficult to track a fast moving object in the smaller frame. As others have said, it is better to crop in the computer.

joer56

http://www.pbase.com/joer

JoeR's gear list:JoeR's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +7 more
bobgeorge
Like?
In reply to engbert, May 6, 2013

Great info all.  It is a feature Nikon markets so I just wanted to know if it was practical to use to extend the reach.

Thanks for sharing.

Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
bobgeorge
Like?
In reply to johnty, May 6, 2013

Nice bird photos!

bobgeorge
Like?
In reply to JoeR, May 6, 2013

JoeR wrote:

The only advantage to using the 1.3X is the extra frame rate. It is more difficult to track a fast moving object in the smaller frame. As others have said, it is better to crop in the computer.

joer56

http://www.pbase.com/joer

I see.  So they frame looks smaller in the viewfinder?

btw..I love the squirrel photos.

krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 292
Like?

bobgeorge wrote:

It is very effective in achieving good composition.

1. When I use 1.3 crop I need less aftershot reframing, because additional view around the frame makes good feel of near space.

2. Fixes becomes 2 in 1.

3. Another usage is to take bests from center of DX lens. Most DX zooms not shine at the edges.

Of course, 15 MPx are enough for most of the photos. And using 1.3x crop needs some training.

mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,774Gear list
Like?

bobgeorge wrote:

Great info all.  It is a feature Nikon markets so I just wanted to know if it was practical to use to extend the reach.

Thanks for sharing.

Remember that the 1.3x "crop mode" is not the same thing as the 1.5x "crop" of the DX sensor, although the mechanism of reach extension is the same (reduction of image circle).  The latter implies a host of physical changes to the imaging chain itself (smaller sensor and lens) that confer size and weight advantages over FF equipment.  The only direct physical advantages that the 1.3x crop on the D7100 provide are faster buffer clearing, reduced file size, and a much higher coverage of AF zones across the reduced frame szie, which can be useful in certain situations.  The disadvantages are reduced resolution and in video mode, poorer video files for some reason.  The files that result from the 1.3x crop happen to be almost the same resolution as a D7000's, which means you're not giving up that much to employ.

If you are not burst rate or file size limited, you can achieve the same result with greater flexibility by simply cropping 30% in post and framing your subject such that it covers only the central 70% of viewfinder.  Oh yeah, the D7100 makes that easy for you by providing a 1.3x crop box in the viewfinder.

A very minor feature for most.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,136
Like?

I use it a lot. I can't see need to have larger slower files if I don't need them.

BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brandon birder, May 6, 2013

Brandon birder wrote:

I use it a lot. I can't see need to have larger slower files if I don't need them.

Exactly.  Makes the camera much better for shooting sports and wildlife.  You can get up to 14-15 shots in 12-bit compressed RAW at 7fps, and even more if you slow the rate down.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +8 more
Swaleck
Regular MemberPosts: 275
Like?
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, May 6, 2013

Ditto, just got the camera and shot my first soccer game a few days ago. I used it almost exclusively with both my 70-300vr and 180 f/2.8 as the light got low. I like the option for the better buffer performance and smaller file size when I'm processing about 300 images per game.

Scott

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,139
Like?
In reply to Swaleck, May 6, 2013

I am using it quite a bit.  For reducing file size, faster frame rate and having to carry fewer single focus lenses because the 1.3 crop can cover a range.  Nothing wrong with almost a 16 mp use of the senser in cropped mode.  Just can't print huge or as large as dx mode.  I use it for my birds in flight quite a lot.  I think it is a really good feature.

Larry

Chuck Steenburgh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,982Gear list
Like?
In reply to bobgeorge, May 7, 2013

Use it a lot for baseball.  The fps boost is really noticeable, and the "zoom" effect can be useful (saving me from cropping later).  You still get an excellent 15MP image out of the camera, too, and your AF sensors pretty much cover the entire frame.

I don't use it all the time, but in some situations it is a nice feature to have.

Chuck Steenburgh's gear list:Chuck Steenburgh's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-FH20 Nikon Coolpix S800c Nikon D7000 Nikon D40 Nikon D70 +22 more
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,234Gear list
Like?
In reply to bobgeorge, May 7, 2013

Yep, it saves on RAW file size on images where you`d be cropping anyway

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Nikon Coolpix P330 Fujifilm X-S1 Samsung NX1000 +1 more
ralphcramdon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170
Like?
In reply to bobgeorge, May 8, 2013

bobgeorge wrote:

I use it often and like it a lota lot

JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,269Gear list
Like?
Higher buffer capacity mosswings...
In reply to mosswings, May 8, 2013

I don't think the whole buffer clears any faster, although it is true that the fps when the buffer is full improves from 3 fps to 4 fps. So, I guess in a sense (partial clearing measured in shots) in which the buffer clears faster.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
JJ Winkel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387
Like?
What about related exposure measure ?
In reply to bobgeorge, May 8, 2013

Does it measure exposure using the full DX view, or only the 1.3x cropped view ?
--
JJ.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads