The Dark side - older iMac

Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 12,816
Like?
The Dark side - older iMac
May 5, 2013

I'm using an older (2006) iMac, 2.16 Intel Dual core.

I'm noticing lately on the forums that photos that seem to be OK with other forum contributors look pretty dark to me. I'm thinking it's my old monitor.

I have brightness all the way up in System Preferences - is there some other way to get this older monitor to look a bit brighter?

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

henryk1
Contributing MemberPosts: 804
Like?
Re: The Dark side - older iMac
In reply to Erik Ohlson, May 5, 2013

Your computer is seven years old. Loss of brightness sounds like normal aging to me. There may be a way to increase brightness; perhaps an Apple repair center could help here. But it probably would be cheaper in the long run just to get a new iMac.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,639Gear list
Like?
In reply to Erik Ohlson, May 5, 2013

Erik Ohlson wrote:

I'm noticing lately on the forums that photos that seem to be OK with other forum contributors look pretty dark to me. I'm thinking it's my old monitor.

I have brightness all the way up in System Preferences - is there some other way to get this older monitor to look a bit brighter?

Sounds like it's one the way out, there were a lot of the flat screen iMacs on eBay with busted screens.

You could try running a newer secondary display (I think these old ones can do it), and set it to 'Extended' desktop mode. Use the main display for your normal desktop stuff, and the secondary to display photos. It would be the cheapest option, and you could still use it if you upgraded later (get a DVI model though).

I run two displays off my Mac Mini quite comfortably, which is a 2.26GHz model (one 23" as a main display, and one 4:3 display for editing my Olympus photos.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Erik Ohlson
Like?
In reply to Andy Hewitt, May 5, 2013

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Sounds like it's one the way out, there were a lot of the flat screen iMacs on eBay with busted screens.

You could try running a newer secondary display (I think these old ones can do it), and set it to 'Extended' desktop mode. Use the main display for your normal desktop stuff, and the secondary to display photos. It would be the cheapest option, and you could still use it if you upgraded later (get a DVI model though).

I run two displays off my Mac Mini quite comfortably, which is a 2.26GHz model (one 23" as a main display, and one 4:3 display for editing my Olympus photos.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Thanks, Andy,

Hmmm.... this fits in with my present attempt to run my iMac into my 42" screen TV using the DVI connector on the back of the monitor via an HDMI cable.

I take it that the 'extended' desktop would be similar.

Sorry I'm not nearly as up-to-speed on the Mac as I should be - Thanks! very interesting and timely.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Like?
In reply to Erik Ohlson, May 6, 2013

Erik Ohlson wrote:

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Thanks, Andy,

Hmmm.... this fits in with my present attempt to run my iMac into my 42" screen TV using the DVI connector on the back of the monitor via an HDMI cable.

I take it that the 'extended' desktop would be similar.

The same principle, yes. Although using a 42" TV will not have as high a resolution, and will be a bit fuzzy.

You should be able to connect to a TV or a standard monitor using the same settings, i.e. 'mirrored' or 'extended'. You can also do a DVI-VGA conversion, although VGA doesn't work on the later Macs, as they removed the analogue signal at some point (when the Mini Display Port came out I think).

FWIW, DVI-HDMI could be a bit of a black art, I believe the adapters and cables may make that job a bit hit and miss as to how well it works. I used to get it working OK off an old iBook using a cheap adapter from China though.

There are many ways to do this, such as a DVI-HDMI adapter, then use a HDMI standard cable, or you can use a DVI-HDMI cable. But there's probably a plethora of adapters and cables around that will do the job in a variety of ways. The trick is to make sure you get the right signals sent along the right wires - not all of these adapters and cables have all the wires connected.

Sorry I'm not nearly as up-to-speed on the Mac as I should be - Thanks! very interesting and timely.

HTH

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,717Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andy Hewitt, May 6, 2013

Andy Hewitt wrote:

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Hi Erik and Andy

Erik, I'm thinking of two directions here.

• Get an Apple service person, not necessarily Apple themselves but someone who can do stuff with screens and so on, to have a look at your machine. And I mean "a look". They should be able to make a pretty firm diagnosis just by looking t what is on the screen and your prefs.
  • IF you don’t want to do that or can't do that, or if you do that and the verdict is negative, look at supplementing the screen with a secondary display as Andy suggests.

The secondary display path is a good one because it gives you greater flexibility. Should the screen of your iMac die altogether, your secondary display will carry on unless something awful has happened to the graphics card. So you will be able to continue to use your machine.

If you decide at some point to get a new iMac, you can either continue to use the secondary display with the new machine (by then you are likely to be very fond of two displays!) or you can sell it.

If you decide to switch to a  Mac mini or a MacBook, then you can use the secondary display with that . In the case of the MacBook, your big screen would be your main display when you are at home (or in the office or wherever you do your stuff on the computer) while using the built-in screen as a secondary display. Away from your big screen you simply use the built-in screen (this is my modus operandi).

The best sort of free standing display for the job is, of course, an Apple Cinema screen. I bought one of eBay -- it is still going great and it absolutely floors other big screens I have used.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Erik Ohlson
Like?
In reply to Andy Hewitt, May 6, 2013

Hi & thanks, Andy.

I take it that "not all cables are created equal" - not exactly what I wanted to hear 

I have an adapter on order for this DVI-HDMI trick, and I sure hope it works for watching things on the large-screen TV. I did not hope that the TV would be a substitute for another screen, I didn't even think of another screen until you suggested it, so no worries there. I had just hoped that there was some trick to just brightening my present screen a bit more but I suppose it's getting old, but then, so am I, so I sympathize with it.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Ohlson
Like?
In reply to Hen3ry, May 6, 2013

Hi, Geoff, nice to hear from a warm country! Haven't noticed you on the panny forum for a while.

Is there any software or the like involved in using two screens?

It would seem that something like that would have to be done if the two screens displayed different parts of an extended desktop.

I may be getting in over my head, here 

-Erik

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Like?

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Hi & thanks, Andy.

I take it that "not all cables are created equal" - not exactly what I wanted to hear 

That's always been the case with multi connection cables, there are good ones and cheap ones. More so in analogue days, but I think there are still a few cheap units around that only connect the vital pins. You need to look for ones that state that all pins are connected.

I have an adapter on order for this DVI-HDMI trick, and I sure hope it works for watching things on the large-screen TV. I did not hope that the TV would be a substitute for another screen, I didn't even think of another screen until you suggested it, so no worries there. I had just hoped that there was some trick to just brightening my present screen a bit more but I suppose it's getting old, but then, so am I, so I sympathize with it.

There might be, although even for a quick look and estimate to repair, most repairers charge a minimum fee (at least in the Uk it's common practice - normally at least £50 just to have a look).

I was merely trying to suggest a solution that presents an economical fix, and one that leaves you with a spare display for future use.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Andy Hewitt
Like?

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Hi, Geoff, nice to hear from a warm country! Haven't noticed you on the panny forum for a while.

Is there any software or the like involved in using two screens?

It would seem that something like that would have to be done if the two screens displayed different parts of an extended desktop.

I may be getting in over my head, here 

No, OS handles multiple displays without any problem (has done so for 20 years). Just plug it in, and OSX will recognise the second display, it's obvious enough in the Displays control panel. You can drag the icon around to place it where you like in the arrangement, and even drag the menu bar around to swap the primary display. Tick the mirroring button if you want that rather than extended desktop.

On the second display, you can bung separate items, such as more desktop icons, open extra windows, or place toolbox panels on it - I use it for the Pages Info box myself. Aperture can be set to display a full size image on the secondary display, while still showing a grid view and navigation panels on the primary display.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads