Chromatic Abberation

Started May 5, 2013 | Questions
RiDeC58
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Chromatic Abberation
May 5, 2013

I have only Photoshop Elements.  Is there a simple process for removing so-called "Purple Fringing" while preserving overall color balance? Does one have to "Select" the fringe and change it's color or is there an easier way? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

ANSWER:
Ronny Harris
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,812
Like?
Re: Chromatic Abberation
In reply to RiDeC58, May 6, 2013

Open a Hue/Sat adjustment layer.  Choose Magenta in the drop down menu and click the dropper on the fringe.  You can now desaturate and/or change the hue.  Invert the mask to hide the effect and then paint the effect back in over the fringe.

Ronny

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RiDeC58
Like?
In reply to Ronny Harris, May 6, 2013

Thanks Ronny, I'll give this a try.

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,996Gear list
Like?
Yes! Easy
In reply to RiDeC58, May 6, 2013

In ACR, when converting to tiff, go to the lens icon. Under the Color tab, make sure the Remove Chromatic Aberation box is checked. Under the Profile tab, make sure your particulat lens is selected (vignetting and dsitortion). Done.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,767Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes! Easy
In reply to Steve Bingham, May 6, 2013

Steve Bingham wrote:

In ACR, when converting to tiff, go to the lens icon. Under the Color tab, make sure the Remove Chromatic Aberation box is checked. Under the Profile tab, make sure your particulat lens is selected (vignetting and dsitortion). Done.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Not sure acr is in elements...

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,996Gear list
Like?
In reply to Toermalijn, May 6, 2013

Toermalijn wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Not sure acr is in elements...

You might be right. It IS in Elements, but perhaps it does not have this feature (Elements uses a slightly crippled version of ACR). Someone with Elements 11 might want to jump in.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
RiDeC58
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, May 7, 2013

Thanks for the tip.  I have Elements 10.  My ACR does not have this, but I will check to see if I can download a newer version which might.

Thanks.

sensingsys
Senior MemberPosts: 1,511
Like?
In reply to RiDeC58, May 10, 2013

You can try this PhotoShop action http://blog.lorrifreedman.com/index.php/2008/07/30/hdr-and-the-purple-fringe/ , not sure if it works in Elements.

Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,976Gear list
Like?
In reply to RiDeC58, May 10, 2013

Are you shooting with a Nikon camera?  Nikon View NX2, a free download, has a ca correction tool.  I just move the affected files completed in Elements through the Nikon software for a very quick click and save.  Maybe do another adjustment or two while I am at it.  Canon's software may have the same option.  There are other plug-ins you can upload (ptlens, for instance) that offer ca correction.  I am hoping Adobe adds this feature in Elements 12 but I am not holding my breath.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 34,587Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Bingham, May 10, 2013

Steve Bingham wrote:

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

I think this is the preferred route to getting rid of it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads