Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4

Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,186Gear list
Like?
Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4
May 5, 2013

Just picked up a used Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 in Leica M-mount from fellow Dpreview member Sean Lancaster - I've always just loved the retro look of the lens on the NEX, and also liked the look of the shots coming from it - I wanted something a little wider than my Konica 40mm F1.8 as an alternate walkaround lens, but something nice and small too.  I'll use it as a walkaround sometimes, stopped down for nice sharp results, but also nice knowing I can use it wide open when I need fast.  I find it sufficiently sharp wide open, with a nice dreamy bokeh and look that has character.  For now, the test shots were just a few snaps around the yard in the late afternoon to make sure nothing was damaged in shipping, but I figured I'd share them anyway in case anyone was looking for some snaps from this lens.  I've posted a few of the stopped down daytime shots at full res, just because most samples I found full size were more wide open (which is very useful) but it might be useful to see a few 'normal' daytime shots at smaller apertures too - the lens is very nicely sharp.  I also stuck to only JPGs straight from camera...I'm sure an extra ounce or two might be able to be eeked out if shooting RAW and post processing correctly and carefully.

A full res shot at a slightly stopped down aperture

Also a full res shot stopped down to bright sunny day levels

Another full res looking down the street from my front yard, stopped down

Down the side of my house, very bright sun, stopped down

Just a quick resized snap of my cat, wide open

Another resized shot just for fun - slightly stopped down

This blue jay landed on my wall so I wanted to see how fast I could move the focus ring

This one just for fun, because a neighbor happened to be driving by in a very expensive car - an SLS AMG Cabriolet

Anyway - I'll have much better samples from this lens as I go, but I just got it yesterday and was excited to just walk outside and take a few quick test snaps - and wanted to share the excitement of getting a new lens!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
dark13star
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Re: Test shots from my newest lens - Voigtlander 35 F1.4
In reply to zackiedawg, May 5, 2013

I like this lens. Unfortunately, the aperture ring on mine broke an I haven't found anyone to repair it yet. I tried myself, but only made things worse.

Be careful with the lens. In researching the problem that happened to mine, it seems common enough that there are several posts online. The ring popped over one of the tiny ball bearings and was crooked on the barrel and unable to turn.

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jack scholl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,139Gear list
Like?

Enjoy your new lens Justin!

Jack

-- hide signature --
 jack scholl's gear list:jack scholl's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon 1 V3 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +4 more
mkandil
Contributing MemberPosts: 513Gear list
Like?

Very nice . is it the SC or MC version ?

How did you find the manual focus ?

thanks for sharing

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,505Gear list
Like?

Nice to see you picking up this lens. And you are correct, its main usage is wide open.

Funny to see that Sean gave up the lens - I expect this lens to become a popular lens for an FF Nex in the future.

I picked up the SAL35F18 soon after I picked up the CV35/1.4, and have, like others, mainly used the CV35 as a low-light, shallow DOF, nice bokey 35mm lens. The SAL35F18, in comparison, is much sharper stopped down. (Both don't have OSS).

I don't think that I have used this lens above f/2.0 since I got it - always thought of it as a specialty lens - and I like shots that are wide open more than the 'P&S' kit zoom results. They are the first shots that people point too and say - you must have a very good camera.  But for a while, (the early days of only the E16 + E1855/E18200), I carried two 35mm MF lenses in my bag, the CV35/1.4 for indoor/people and one of my other 35mm MF lenses for outdoor/max-sharpness.  I wonder how you will like this lens - it lends itself well for a very different type of usage (for me, mostly social people pics).  Please posts some 'best' pictures, I am always curious of how those experienced use these lenses/cameras. And thanks for all your previous postings.

CV35/1.4 at f/5.6

CV35/1.4 at f/5.6

Same scene, with the E20 at f/13, for maximum DOF.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
zackiedawg
Like?
In reply to dark13star, May 6, 2013

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'm generally pretty careful with my lenses and gear, but will try to be cognizant of the aperture ring to not be too physical with it.  It seems to spin very nicely and has nice click indents...so far so good.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
zackiedawg
Like?
Thank you Jack [nt]
In reply to jack scholl, May 6, 2013
-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Like?
In reply to mkandil, May 6, 2013

Well, I hate to sound stupid - but I'm not sure!  I can't find any markings on the lens to note which version it is - it may be in the serial number but I don't know how to decode that.  I didn't get the original box, so may have to ask Sean which version it is...unless there's another way to tell.

I like the manual focus action - it took just a few minutes to get used to moving the finger indent rather than reaching for the focus ring itself - but once I got used to where it was, it was a cinch - and the action is good - just enough resistance to not overspin the focus, but not too much resistance that would make it stiff.

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, May 6, 2013

Thank you for the additional information and comments.  I am looking forward to shooting with it some more - the biggest chance for me will be in late June when I'm headed to Disney World for a vacation - just the type of place I enjoy using such a lens.

-- hide signature --

Justin

HPS3
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?
In reply to zackiedawg, May 6, 2013

Awesome Justin, I'm glad to see you got that new to you lens. I'm looking forward to seeing some WDW shots on TMIP and Dis.

HPS3's gear list:HPS3's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 4,126
Like?

These usually return great images and yours look nice.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

mkandil
Contributing MemberPosts: 513Gear list
Like?

zackiedawg wrote:

Well, I hate to sound stupid - but I'm not sure!  I can't find any markings on the lens to note which version it is - it may be in the serial number but I don't know how to decode that.  I didn't get the original box, so may have to ask Sean which version it is...unless there's another way to tell.

I like the manual focus action - it took just a few minutes to get used to moving the finger indent rather than reaching for the focus ring itself - but once I got used to where it was, it was a cinch - and the action is good - just enough resistance to not overspin the focus, but not too much resistance that would make it stiff.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Thank you justin, actually I am planing to buy one and found two versions there and was wondering how the two versions behave on the NEX. I imagine your copy is MC because the other version has SC.(engraved in blue) on the lens.

enjoy it

Mike Wee
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?
In reply to mkandil, May 6, 2013

mkandil wrote:

zackiedawg wrote:

-- hide signature --

Justin

Thank you justin, actually I am planing to buy one and found two versions there and was wondering how the two versions behave on the NEX. I imagine your copy is MC because the other version has SC.(engraved in blue) on the lens.

enjoy it

That's my understanding too. Single Coated ones are marked SC. Multi Coated ones do not carry any designation. I bought mine from the dealer, it has no designation and I asked for an MC one.

-- hide signature --

Ex-Tee-Eye * 50 1,8 * 17-85
En-Ee-Ex-5 * 16 * 18-55 * 55-210 * CV 35 1,4 * FD 50 1,4

Mike Wee's gear list:Mike Wee's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 400D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,894
Like?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it, but all full size images look soft.

zackiedawg
Like?
Thanks for the clarification...
In reply to Mike Wee, May 6, 2013

Mine has no markings, so that would presume MC.  I wasn't familiar with how they label the lenses so I wasn't sure - I didn't think to ask either!

In reading, it would seem the multicoat would be better anyway, so I'm glad that's the one it is.

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Like?
Thank you!
In reply to HPS3, May 6, 2013

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Like?
Thanks Dave [nt]
In reply to davect01, May 6, 2013
-- hide signature --

Justin

zackiedawg
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, May 6, 2013

Personally, I don't find them soft - but that's my personal preference - I don't really like oversharp photos as I hate white halos.  Do consider this though:  They are straight from camera, shot in JPG, and I have in-camera sharpness set to -1.  So that probably has something to do with it...someone with sharpness set higher would get crisper results from camera.  I prefer to do a touch of USM sharpening in post if I feel it needs it, but I left these ones alone just to see how they came out.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Shiroa
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?

zackiedawg wrote:

Just picked up a used Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 in Leica M-mount from fellow Dpreview member Sean Lancaster - I've always just loved the retro look of the lens on the NEX, and also liked the look of the shots coming from it - I wanted something a little wider than my Konica 40mm F1.8 as an alternate walkaround lens, but something nice and small too.  I'll use it as a walkaround sometimes, stopped down for nice sharp results, but also nice knowing I can use it wide open when I need fast.  I find it sufficiently sharp wide open, with a nice dreamy bokeh and look that has character.  For now, the test shots were just a few snaps around the yard in the late afternoon to make sure nothing was damaged in shipping, but I figured I'd share them anyway in case anyone was looking for some snaps from this lens.  I've posted a few of the stopped down daytime shots at full res, just because most samples I found full size were more wide open (which is very useful) but it might be useful to see a few 'normal' daytime shots at smaller apertures too - the lens is very nicely sharp.  I also stuck to only JPGs straight from camera...I'm sure an extra ounce or two might be able to be eeked out if shooting RAW and post processing correctly and carefully.

A full res shot at a slightly stopped down aperture

Also a full res shot stopped down to bright sunny day levels

Another full res looking down the street from my front yard, stopped down

Down the side of my house, very bright sun, stopped down

Just a quick resized snap of my cat, wide open

Another resized shot just for fun - slightly stopped down

This blue jay landed on my wall so I wanted to see how fast I could move the focus ring

This one just for fun, because a neighbor happened to be driving by in a very expensive car - an SLS AMG Cabriolet

Anyway - I'll have much better samples from this lens as I go, but I just got it yesterday and was excited to just walk outside and take a few quick test snaps - and wanted to share the excitement of getting a new lens!

-- hide signature --

Justin

how do you get the aperture reading? I would love to have it on my nex nokt40 combo

zackiedawg
Like?
In reply to Shiroa, May 6, 2013

Sadly, you cannot.  I manually entered the aperture in all of the above shots as I uploaded them - I wish there was an easier method, but alas, there's not!  When using manual lenses, I try to either stick to settings for a while so I know what it was at, or I try to record what aperture changes I make at particular camera clock times with voice memos on my phone.  I've heard some others mention taking a photo of a smartphone screen or memo pad with the aperture written or typed on it...I might try something like this on my upcoming vacation when aperture changes will be frequent and I won't be able to upload the photos until a week later.

-- hide signature --

Justin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads