Why to choose an X-E1 vs X-Pro1

Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions
Giovanni_1968
Senior MemberPosts: 1,176Gear list
Like?
Why to choose an X-E1 vs X-Pro1
May 5, 2013

Would you be given the choice between the two which one would you choose and why?

Giovanni_1968's gear list:Giovanni_1968's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm F2.8-3.5 ASPH Mega OIS +7 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mjl699
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
Re: Why to choose an X-E1 vs X-Pro1
In reply to Giovanni_1968, May 5, 2013

Only two considerations I can think of:

• Size. XE1 is smaller.
  • OVF, obviously XP1 has one, XE1 EVF more resolution.
  • XE1 has slightly cheaper build quality. I prefer the XP1 buttons, for example.

As far as I know the two cameras are otherwise pretty similar.

Personally I use the OVF and I prefer the size and button feel of the XP1 - fits well in my hand.

-- hide signature --

mjl599

mjl699's gear list:mjl699's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ross Kennedy
Regular MemberPosts: 291
Like?

I've spent some time with both camera recently. It really comes down to the viewfinder - if you like the OVF, you need to pay the extra cash for the X-Pro...if you are happy with an EVF, then the X-E1 is the better option.

Other factors are the better LCD on the X-Pro (important for checking focus), the X-Pro feels better built (more metal, less plastic) and the smaller form factor of the X-E1.

I don't use the OVF and I like the smaller body of the X-E1, so I would probably go for the X-E1 if I was buying now. Although, I do find that the X-E1 looks a bit odd with no viewfinder window on the front.

nspur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?

I had the Xpro1, loved it and especially the OVF. But eyesight problems made me change to the X-E1. I  needed a +1 diopter for the OVF (the same as in my Voigtlander Bessa 4A film camera) but  to use the EVF I needed to wear 2x magnifying glasses and even so the viewfinder image was not perfect. The X-E1 (I now have two of them) has an adjustable viewfinder diopter that I can set to my precise (poor) vision.

-- hide signature --

Nick Spurrier

nspur's gear list:nspur's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-30 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,791Gear list
Like?
All about the OVF for me

If you want the OVF, you gotta get the X-Pro. If you don't, there's almost no other real reason to - the XE1 does everything else as well (although I guess the LCD isn't quite as nice) and has a flash and slightly better EVF.

The OVF is one of the primary reasons I love Fuji's new offerings, so I'd have no reason to buy the XE1 and I love the X-Pro (and X100s, although I'm not planning to buy one of those). But if you don't care about the OVF, and lots of folks don't, get the EVF.

Its really about that simple.

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
Like?

I went with the XE1. Reasons include...

1) it came with the fuji zoom which was discounted when packaged together. That lens is just wonderful and even better than my old Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 and my Nikon 16-85 vr

2) better EVF, since i plan on using both very wide and very long lenses, fuji 10-24 and 55-200, I would need the EVF so see m composition without being blocked, plus the built in diopter helps but you can buy one for the Pro1

3) Price, it cost a little less and I prefer to invest in glass over an electronic box that depreciates in value quickly. Plus, if there is something very useful about newer models and I sell, then I would lose less. But for the moment I suspect I will skip over every other model. I did with my Nikon as I never upgraded my D300 to D7000 or D7100, but did upgrade my D70, D200 then D300 quickly.

4) the built in flash. This is useful at times for fill flash, adding catchlight to eyes, and it tilts up for bounce. It has come in handy at times.

Both are great cameras and everyone has a preference but the above are the major reasons I went with the XE1, mostly price and the fuji zoom package deal.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
AdamJRed
Contributing MemberPosts: 540Gear list
Like?

I purchased both and used both in order to determine which was best for me.

I enjoy both immensely, but the OVF got very little use from me, and built-in flash on the X-E1 got some use as bounce or to trigger a slave. I liked the EVF and adjustable diopter on the X-E1 as well.

I didn't find any difference in build quality, at one point I had both outside in light rain, the 35mm on the X-PRO1 and 18-55 on X-E1. I wouldn't push it beyond a light rain but both had no problems.

With the match technical thumb rest on the X-E1 I ended up just liking the X-E1 overall better. But to me they are so close.

I planned to give the less used to my wife but a family friend bought the X-PRO1, and I've been thrilled with me X-E1 ever since...

Good luck!

AdamJRed's gear list:AdamJRed's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Lytro Light Field 8GB Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,758Gear list
Like?
In reply to AdamJRed, May 5, 2013

The comments about the OVF of the Pro-1 are interesting but its usefulness is becoming more restricting as more lenses are added as the FOV is blocked by the lens itself. Is there any solution to this that Fuji can incorporate in the Pro-2 ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?

Giovanni_1968 wrote:

Would you be given the choice between the two which one would you choose and why?

Optical viewfinder. I have yet to find an EVF that doesn't give me a headache in about 10 seconds. The EVF on the X-Pro1 is especially sucky.

-- hide signature --

Always remember, whenever you declare someone the dumbest person on Earth, someone else will stare at their screen intently, cross their arms and say ‘Challenge accepted’.

Charlesn
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
I never get threads like this one...

Why waste bandwith asking DPR members why they chose one camera over another with no purpose attached to the quesiton? If the OP is trying to make this choice for himself, he should say that, and then provide some info about his own priorities and preferences in a camera. That would elicit responses tailored to what might be best for the OP, rather than a laundry list of why person x or y chose one over the other, most of which could be learned by simply comparing the specs for each camera.

svx94
Senior MemberPosts: 2,288Gear list
Like?
X-E1

Using zoom lens, the OVF is not practical at all. When you count OVF out, there is really no reason to get pricier, heavier Pro1

svx94's gear list:svx94's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +9 more
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,516Gear list
Like?
If I could only have one....
In reply to Giovanni_1968, May 6, 2013

Giovanni_1968 wrote:

-- hide signature --

It would be the Xpro1. OVF, better build and easier to handle.

IQ wise, nothing in it.

BTW, can't you make up your own mind?

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Giovanni_1968
Senior MemberPosts: 1,176Gear list
Like?
Re: If I could only have one....
In reply to 57even, May 6, 2013

I can't figure myself shooting without to look through a viewfinder... besides this I think the smaller size of the X-E1 would be, for me, the only advantage but considering the lenses size (I have only seen the 18-55 attached to the X-E1 in a shop window) I would say that the extra bulkness of the Pro would not be a big issue for me.

I am not getting any of the two but a friend wants to get into more serious photography so am advising about a Fuji X series, I think I will let her get the X-E1 with the kit lens and then play with it myself a bit when we'll meet as to then have a personal opinion about it.

IQ wise there should be no difference, I am a Fuji D-SLR user and as such I prefer to stay on the Nikon system, this doesn't mean I can't some day get an X with a kit lens or an adapter, it would be a perfect companion for travel, I recently came back after 6 days with the S5, 10-24, 50 and 80-200 along with a tripod and a few accessories, worthless to mention it was a pain, big pain and little use of the long end of the lenses... a compact system would save lot of pain and still allow good (if not better in this case) quality for landscapes (at which I am not good at all...).

thank you for your hints

Giovanni_1968's gear list:Giovanni_1968's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm F2.8-3.5 ASPH Mega OIS +7 more
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,516Gear list
Like?

Giovanni_1968 wrote:

I can't figure myself shooting without to look through a viewfinder... besides this I think the smaller size of the X-E1 would be, for me, the only advantage but considering the lenses size (I have only seen the 18-55 attached to the X-E1 in a shop window) I would say that the extra bulkness of the Pro would not be a big issue for me.

I am not getting any of the two but a friend wants to get into more serious photography so am advising about a Fuji X series, I think I will let her get the X-E1 with the kit lens and then play with it myself a bit when we'll meet as to then have a personal opinion about it.

IQ wise there should be no difference, I am a Fuji D-SLR user and as such I prefer to stay on the Nikon system, this doesn't mean I can't some day get an X with a kit lens or an adapter, it would be a perfect companion for travel, I recently came back after 6 days with the S5, 10-24, 50 and 80-200 along with a tripod and a few accessories, worthless to mention it was a pain, big pain and little use of the long end of the lenses... a compact system would save lot of pain and still allow good (if not better in this case) quality for landscapes (at which I am not good at all...).

thank you for your hints

-- hide signature --

I think if you mainly intend to use the zoom lenses, especially the 55-200, the larger camera will balance better. If you only opt to use primes, the smaller size is not really a problem.

The Fuji hand grip does make a big difference in comfort on both cameras though.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Ethel
Contributing MemberPosts: 793Gear list
Like?

I chose the X-E1, largely because the kit with the 18-55 is a pretty good deal, and I can get used to the Fujifilm 'personality' of the camera while I wait for an X-Pro2.

I'm happy with the EVF (not ecstatic, but happy) and it does at least avoid the issue of the lens getting in the way of the OVF.

So far, so happy

Ethel's gear list:Ethel's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,791Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57even, May 6, 2013

57even wrote:

Giovanni_1968 wrote:

thank you for your hints

-- hide signature --

I think if you mainly intend to use the zoom lenses, especially the 55-200, the larger camera will balance better. If you only opt to use primes, the smaller size is not really a problem.

The Fuji hand grip does make a big difference in comfort on both cameras though.

Probably right, but kind of ironic, since the larger X-Pro's OVF works a lot better with the primes and there's no real reason for the OVF if you're shooting with the larger zooms. I'm fine shooting the primes on the X-Pro and would probablthe ok shooting the zooms with the XE1. The only zoom I have any interest in is the 10-24, though, and I'll just use the X-Pro EVF with that.

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

mjl699
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1
In reply to svx94, May 6, 2013

svx94 wrote:

Using zoom lens, the OVF is not practical at all. When you count OVF out, there is really no reason to get pricier, heavier Pro1

Alongside tghe above, if you use the 14mm, 35mm or 60mm, OVF is useful, at least to me.

The main reason I swtich to the EVF at all has been that the OVF viewfinder lines for the 14mm are not great. OK (but not 1st rate) for the others though. Manual focus checking uses the EVF as well of course.
--
mjl599

mjl699's gear list:mjl699's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
DaveJC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,747Gear list
Like?
Re: If I could only have one....for now....
In reply to Ray Sachs, May 6, 2013

When I decide to move into the Fuji camera line, it was the usual study of the features and how would it fit in with what I already owned. Since I already had a bevy of fine Pentax primes, I was not ready to swap whole systems, the primes became a sideline issue. It really was the 18-55 that I wanted. This came with the XE1 as a kit so one for the XE1. The XE1 was the last released of the two so it had newer insides and so the XPro1 would be the first to be replaced. Two for the XE1. The XPro1 would probably benefit most from any upgrade so waiting for the XPro2 had more to gain than waiting for the XE2. Three for the XE1. The EX1 was a cheaper entry point into the Fuji line. Four for the XE1. So I bought the XE1 with 18-55 kit zoom and will wait to see how the XPro2 compares when it finally does get released to what Pentax is offering at the time. That was my train of thought when I made my decision.

-- hide signature --

DaveJC

DaveJC's gear list:DaveJC's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads