Fovus Magic ver4 - a query ...

Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,659Gear list
Like?
Fovus Magic ver4 - a query ...
May 5, 2013

I've used Focus Magic in many versions of Photoshop/CS for a good many years .. but just decided to update my old one to the new latest ver4 .. and incidentally I can heartiy recommend this update..it has always been an excellent Plug-in  but it just seems to get better..
BUT .. I have NEVER had this before in all the time I've used this..  but NOW..  when I use FM in an edit..I then find that after closing the edit session I find that I've got an icon on my desktop for "Focus Magic.log"  ..  a small text file of what it's done when used..  and the niggling thing is that even if I leave that desktop icon showing after a session.. the next time I use it..it makes ANOTHER icon.. !! 
Now this gets to be a bit of a nuisance, as I certainly don't need an icon but can't seem to stop it happening.
Has anybody else used ver4 and got any answer as to how I can stop either the log or the making of an icon each time.  The HELP section in the program seems to make no mention of a log at all - so far as I can find anyway ....

I put this in Open talk but got no response at all so thought I'd try here.

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

suddie1215
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,765Gear list
Like?
Re: Fovus Magic ver4 - a query ...
In reply to ericN2, May 5, 2013

The same thing is happening to me with the final release of FM 4.0 so I reverted back to the 4.0 Beta version.  It gives a message stating "This is a Beta (debugging) version of Focus Magic. You can now download the release version from our website." which it did not do before I installed the final release, but at least it doesn't create the log file on the desktop.

Since I really don't use FM all that often perhaps I'll just go back to version 3 until this is all sorted out.

ericN2 wrote:

I've used Focus Magic in many versions of Photoshop/CS for a good many years .. but just decided to update my old one to the new latest ver4 .. and incidentally I can heartiy recommend this update..it has always been an excellent Plug-in  but it just seems to get better..
BUT .. I have NEVER had this before in all the time I've used this..  but NOW..  when I use FM in an edit..I then find that after closing the edit session I find that I've got an icon on my desktop for "Focus Magic.log"  ..  a small text file of what it's done when used..  and the niggling thing is that even if I leave that desktop icon showing after a session.. the next time I use it..it makes ANOTHER icon.. !! 
Now this gets to be a bit of a nuisance, as I certainly don't need an icon but can't seem to stop it happening.
Has anybody else used ver4 and got any answer as to how I can stop either the log or the making of an icon each time.  The HELP section in the program seems to make no mention of a log at all - so far as I can find anyway ....

I put this in Open talk but got no response at all so thought I'd try here.

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

suddie1215's gear list:suddie1215's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ericN2
Like?
In reply to suddie1215, May 5, 2013

suddie1215 wrote:

The same thing is happening to me with the final release of FM 4.0 so I reverted back to the 4.0 Beta version.  It gives a message stating "This is a Beta (debugging) version of Focus Magic. You can now download the release version from our website." which it did not do before I installed the final release, but at least it doesn't create the log file on the desktop.

Since I really don't use FM all that often perhaps I'll just go back to version 3 until this is all sorted out.

Well I'm pleased to know that it isn't some odd thing with me ..  I did the same as you..installed as an 'update' what turned out to be the ver4 BETA and got exactly the same message.. but I DID installl the final version of v4 and now have this log business.  I've sent a mail to Acclaim Support but heard nothing so far - although of course as it's Holiday week-end (here in UK anyway..) I've had no reply.  But another poster on I think Open Talk.. writing on this same subject.. said he just couldn't get anythig at all from Acclaim and in fact his mails were returned as 'unknown' or for some reason.
I never ran it with the BETA version on so I'm not sure if it would be any different..  I do find this v4 to be very good .. have used Focus Magic for YEARS ..although not much of late as I have an Action for modest Sharpening.. but I did like the v4 very much (maybe just old memories revived !!)  ..  so just sticking with it for now...

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

tony brown
Senior MemberPosts: 2,996
Like?
In reply to ericN2, May 6, 2013

ericN2 wrote:

I put this in Open talk but got no response at all so thought I'd try here

After reading your post, I downloaded V4 and tried it on Win7 with PhotoshopCS.

No problem. A search for Focus Magic.log came up with nothing at all.

Perhaps it is now fixed. Perhaps try downloading again.

Cheers, Tony.

ericN2
Like?
Tony - Update ..
In reply to tony brown, May 6, 2013

Good news..  I sent a mail query to Acclaim and just this morning got their reply. It WAS a quirk that never should have been.. but they said to just d/load a new EXE install file and re-run it over the last one I used. I did that and it's now gone, I'm pleased to say.
Notified any interested users in the other Forum note I also opened on this...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51406057

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads