Fuji XE1 versus Sony Nex 6

Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,615Gear list
Like?
Fuji XE1 versus Sony Nex 6
May 5, 2013

I have both and I am using them a lot. I took some photos this afternoon with both using the same lens - Contax G 45mm F2. I processed some images this morning from both.

I'll post some later on once I've processed them. I am wondering if the Nex 6 image quality is in fact a bit better than the XE1. There's not a lot in it. It may come down to which lens you are using. But with the same lens this could be close.

Nex 6 is way easier and more accurate to use with manual lenses that is certain with its nice implementation of focus peaking. It is generally a bit more snappy and faster to do all jobs as well.

I was certain the XE1 was better until this morning. Now I am not so sure. I get the idea Sony is about one iteration ahead of Fuji with better video, focus peaking, PDAF AF as well as contrast detect, slightly sharper sensor (latest Exmor 16.3mp as in X100s). Fuji has better ergonomics and lenses though. Its close. But I am beginning to feel overall performance is better on the Nex 6 and the camera I would reach for to do travel would be the Nex 6 with a decent lens, especially a manual lens.

Greg.

Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
redsim74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,147
Like?
Re: Fuji XE1 versus Sony Nex 6
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, May 5, 2013

I have the old NEX-5N but recently I've been looking at the recent Fujis, particularly the XE1. It looks like a nice camera, and I applaud the more classical design aesthetic – external controls, etc – but for me the lack of an articulated LCD is a deal breaker.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,615Gear list
Like?
In reply to redsim74, May 5, 2013

The tiltable screen on the Nex 6 is good (it only tilts not pivots like say a Canon 60D). It depends on your needs. I believe the screen on Nex 5r tilts more than Nex 6 as Nex 6 EVF is in the way. I like it but can live without it.

The main differences so far have been the focus peaking which is essential for accurate manual focusing using legacy lenses an video which is far superior. Image quality seems very very similar. Fuji white balance is sensational but the Sony may be almost as good. I need to look at more of my images using the same lens because Fuji lenses are incomparable and unfortunately do not fit on Nex bodies.

Greg.

docvale
Regular MemberPosts: 190Gear list
Like?

Now that there's a Zeiss lineup available for both systems, performance comparisons are gonna be easier than before.

Focus peaking is indeed a great feature and I enjoy using it when I'm shooting with a manual Minolta lens. Fuji will implement it for sure in the upcoming iterations of its camera bodies. For now, you're probably right in stating that Sony is overall one step ahead in "user-friendly" tech content.

OTOH, Fuji seems to have kept alive the feel of the most traditional photography, due to its control layout (and design, which subliminally contributes for sure).

It's just a matter of personal preferences: in the end this is just gear talk. 

In curious to see your test results! Keep us updated.

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

I have both and I am using them a lot. I took some photos this afternoon with both using the same lens - Contax G 45mm F2. I processed some images this morning from both.

I'll post some later on once I've processed them. I am wondering if the Nex 6 image quality is in fact a bit better than the XE1. There's not a lot in it. It may come down to which lens you are using. But with the same lens this could be close.

Nex 6 is way easier and more accurate to use with manual lenses that is certain with its nice implementation of focus peaking. It is generally a bit more snappy and faster to do all jobs as well.

I was certain the XE1 was better until this morning. Now I am not so sure. I get the idea Sony is about one iteration ahead of Fuji with better video, focus peaking, PDAF AF as well as contrast detect, slightly sharper sensor (latest Exmor 16.3mp as in X100s). Fuji has better ergonomics and lenses though. Its close. But I am beginning to feel overall performance is better on the Nex 6 and the camera I would reach for to do travel would be the Nex 6 with a decent lens, especially a manual lens.

Greg.

docvale's gear list:docvale's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
redsim74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,147
Like?

Thanks for the info.

I do a lot of waist level shooting to get a more natural perspective (as I'm tall), so an upward tilting screen saves my aging knees. 

I also do a bit of event shooting (outdoor sports and air shows) so a downward tilt is handy for shooting above the crowd.

beetle0042000
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
In reply to redsim74, May 7, 2013

Can u post both OOC jpegs as well as processed raw files ??

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads