A few Shots with my NEX 5R in Bora Bora last week.

Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions
Pjjava34
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
A few Shots with my NEX 5R in Bora Bora last week.
May 5, 2013

The family and I took a bucket list sort of a trip to Bora Bora, French Polynesia about a week ago and I had some fun with my NEX 5R. Took about 1,400 pics that week but my main focus was shooting video with my 5R. Made a nice little family film of all of our activities. The helicopter ride was also amazing as the view from above the island showed a very unique perspective.

I used the Zeiss SEL24 on most shots with a CPL and messed around with the painting feature (set on low) on these initial 2 shots. All in JPG.

SEL24 Zeiss with CPL

The gear I took with me seen here. NEX 5R with EVF and LCD loup, external mic, SEL24f18, SEL18200 (original) SEL 50f18, SEL16f28 with fisheye converter, B+W UV/CPL filters, cowboy studio shoulder rig, tripod, home made underwater tray (seen in gray) Underwater with Panasonic Lumix TS5 and retractable Sealife aqua pod for diving.

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,679Gear list
Like?
Re: A few Shots with my NEX 5R in Bora Bora last week.
In reply to Pjjava34, May 5, 2013

Wow. I want to go there!

What a place. Some stunning shots. Not a fan of the paint function though.

Do you have any underwater shots you can post?

Greg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pjjava34
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, May 5, 2013

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Wow. I want to go there!

What a place. Some stunning shots. Not a fan of the paint function though.

Do you have any underwater shots you can post?

Greg.

Yeah I know the painting was just something I tried after having snapped so many the usual way. I have one underwater on my computer right now, I'll post more when I get access to them.

Not very comfortable with the ray getting this close!

temama
Regular MemberPosts: 362
Like?
Looks great place! Not so great PP job ;)

You must have had a great time in that kind of paradise!

Anyway - while I enjoy your photos, I have to say that I do not like very much post process work in these. Some too flat, unnatural colours and unrealistic narrow DOF/bokeh tricks. Not to my taste.

Pjjava34
Like?
Re: Looks great place! Not so great PP job ;)
In reply to temama, May 5, 2013

temama wrote:

You must have had a great time in that kind of paradise!

Anyway - while I enjoy your photos, I have to say that I do not like very much post process work in these. Some too flat, unnatural colours and unrealistic narrow DOF/bokeh tricks. Not to my taste.

Thanks for checking them out. Its all different setting I was playing with on the "creative" feature. The colors (outside of the painting pics) are all exactly as they looked in person.

MrTaikitso
Contributing MemberPosts: 676Gear list
Like?

Lovely! (He says, typing this from overcast, bankrupt England, wishing he could teleport to Polynesia and never return!)

What made me giggle is that you have a 5R (I have one too), a nice compact machine. Yet all those extras take up so much space! Almost defeats the object of the NEX, but I suppose for regular street photography you would normally only have one lens on you?

Does that harness thing help with shooting smoother video? What do you think of the video quality? I find it superb from the new kit PZ (16-50mm) although you can see compression artefacts if you look closely. (I always shoot at 50/60fps 1080P)

MrTaikitso's gear list:MrTaikitso's gear list
Samsung EX2F +1 more
Pjjava34
Like?
In reply to MrTaikitso, May 5, 2013

Lovely! (He says, typing this from overcast, bankrupt England, wishing he could teleport to Polynesia and never return!)

What made me giggle is that you have a 5R (I have one too), a nice compact machine. Yet all those extras take up so much space! Almost defeats the object of the NEX, but I suppose for regular street photography you would normally only have one lens on you?

Does that harness thing help with shooting smoother video? What do you think of the video quality? I find it superb from the new kit PZ (16-50mm) although you can see compression artefacts if you look closely. (I always shoot at 50/60fps 1080P)

Haha...I wish I could go back myself!
I totally agree with you about the NEX 5R being purchased mainly because of its small size but all the trinkets certainly add up to making it a bag full of goodies on the trip.
My wife was not pleased with me using my airline baggage allowance on this much gear! I typically only take the 18-200 or the 50 mm prime when I want to go out and about shoot, but I shot mainly video on this trip and I was fully pleased and impressed with the quality of the results.

I would love to try the 16-50PZ...I mainly shoot 24fps at 1080p. How would you describe the 60fps video look compared to 24fps? Is it that different? I know it fills memory space fast.
The shoulder rig was nice as it takes some of the shakiness out, but 18-200 lens has a nice active steady shot built in which is amazing for video stability.

jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?

You really had a hard time there!

I second others' opinion, I like the shots but cannot suffer the creative filters.

Those effects were born to give a look to the pics made with the mobile phones, which have small sensors, no bokeh, limited dynamic range..

Applying them to a camera which can take professional photos makes them look like photos made with an iphone.. ghhhh..

my 2 cents of course

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads