Recommendations for Photo trip to Tasmania, Australia

Started May 5, 2013 | Discussions
Brian de Cambra
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?
Recommendations for Photo trip to Tasmania, Australia
May 5, 2013

Hi all with knowledge of Tasmania. I am doing a photo trip to Tasmania (6 days) very shortly and would like any advice on "must see/photo" places. I will have transport, therefore can get almost anywhere apart from dedicated 4wd tracks.

All suggestions welcome.

-- hide signature --

Brian

The Aussie Viking
Contributing MemberPosts: 905Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommendations for Photo trip to Tasmania, Australia
In reply to Brian de Cambra, May 5, 2013

I have yet to do Tasmania, but when I do, Cradle Mountain and the Frankland river are high on the list. I have found a site of interest to go as a starter;

http://www.alexwisephotography.net/blog/2009/02/16/tasmanian-photography-locations/

But I would also contact some local photography Clubs there. Chances are you will get some special locations shown to you, and may well find a local photographer or two who wants an excuse to return to some spots and wants company to chat to. I always get pleasure in showing other photographers some prize locations. Photography to me is sharing the pleasure with others.

If you contact the Tasmanian Photographic Federation, they are the main body for Photo Clubs in Tassie, you will no doubt get assistance there too.

http://tasphotofed.org.au/

-- hide signature --
 The Aussie Viking's gear list:The Aussie Viking's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian de Cambra
Like?
In reply to The Aussie Viking, May 5, 2013

Thanks Aussie Viking, I will check them out, sounds like good advice.

-- hide signature --

Brian

HB1969
Regular MemberPosts: 336Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brian de Cambra, May 6, 2013

My partner and I had a short visit to Tas a few years ago and drove from Hobart to Port Arthur (historic convict site). There are quite scenic spots to stop along the way such as the tesselated pavement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessellated_pavement

Wish we could have stayed longer and done a comprehensive tour of the island.

HB1969's gear list:HB1969's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
jedinstvo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914
Like?
Deadly snaykes both places
In reply to Brian de Cambra, May 7, 2013

Always check under the bed for snaykes. Sometimes they crawl into the bed. Another place they like to hide is behind the toilet. There's three-step snaykes and there's two-step snaykes. They bite you, you take two steps and you're dead.

Aussie Coop
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?

I did a trip years ago on a bike, got around and seen quite a bit in 10 days, lost one day to rain as well. Doesnt take long to get anywhere which is a plus. I took the (now defunct) Seacat into George Town and did the East coast down to Hobart through St Helens & Bicheno. This way will take you past the turn off to Port Arthur ( must see ) heading into Hobart. Once in Hobart Id recommend going up Mt wellington (1271m) for a great view. Sometimes during the colder months the top part is closed off if the weather is bad (snow) . Heading out of Hobart try and make it to Lake Pedder and/or Lake Gordon , just beautiful. Heading further west you'll strike Queenstown/Strahan/Zeehan , again quite interesting. If you make it up north west to Stanley you can take the cable lift up to The Nut as well.

It really doesnt matter where you go you'll have great photo ops, its just that nice a place to travel around. The locals are dead friendly as well, always on for the chat and more than willing to point you in the right direction. Watch out for the timber jinkers, they drive flat out, and the shazzam vans, they drive dead slow, the roads are fairly narrow and windy and both the for-mentioned like to cut corners pretty badly. Its fairly cold as well, even in summer.

As for the comment about the snakes, seriously mate, you'll only put the wind up people that dont live in Oz with that comment. More chance of getting bitten by a trouser snake than any other.

Aussie Coop's gear list:Aussie Coop's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
MohammedB
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?

Hi Brian,

I went to Tasmania a year ago and absolutely loved it! Some of the places I would recommend are:

- Cradle Mountain. Put this on your top of must see list!

- Freycinet National Park. You'll drive through here on your way to Cradle Mountain

- Oyster Bay. Another lovely and secluded place

- Becino/Bay of Fires. Beautiful beaches and rock formations which make for great seascapes.

- Launceston for it's great old country town feel

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. What gear are you taking?

Dags
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388
Like?
6 days way to short to cover Tasmania.....
In reply to Brian de Cambra, May 8, 2013

Brian de Cambra wrote:

Hi all with knowledge of Tasmania. I am doing a photo trip to Tasmania (6 days) very shortly and would like any advice on "must see/photo" places. I will have transport, therefore can get almost anywhere apart from dedicated 4wd tracks.

All suggestions welcome.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Hi Brian, I've done 3 trips to Tassie. 1st trip was 15 days & felt like we were rushing everywhere to try to see everything. 2nd trip was 10 days & just went to some selected highlites & last trip January this year was only 4 days just to cover a couple of faverourite spots. With only 6 days you need to select a few highlites to visit. You can forget about trying to cover all of Tasmania in 6 days. I would consider 14 days bare minimum to try to cover everything.

With only 6 days you need to pick just a couple of highlites, which is difficult if you havent been there before. My suggestion, a variation of our 4 day trip. This is assuming arrive Launceston in morning

Day 1 - head straight down Midland Highway with stops at Cambelltown (The Red Bridge is very photogenic) & Ross (another beautiful old bridge) & then head to east coast & stay the night at Coles Bay. Some great sunrise & sunset locations around Coles Bay, especially Honeymoon Bay. Note - getting reasonably priced accomodation at Coles Bay can be difficult, especially for 1 night stay

Day 2 - head up east coast stay at St Helens. St Helens itself not too exciting, but it's the closest accomodation to Bay Of Fires which is spectacular

Day 3 - head inland towrds Scottsdale & then up to the coast and stay either Bridport or Low Head. Bridport is nice little holiday coastal town which should be quiet this time of year. Main reason for going to Bridport (only photographic reason) a fantastic old wooden jetty. Ideally you want to be there when there is a lowish tide at either or both sunset & sunrise. Alternatively Low Head has a very photogenic Lighthouse

Day 4 - head to Cradle Mountain

Day 5 - Cradle Mountain - you really want to spend 2 nights at Cradle Mountain (unless you are not prepared to do any hiking)

Day 6 - assuming departing from Launceston, head that direction. The back road from Sheffield to Deloraine via Mole Creek is scenic. From Deloraine head to Liffey Falls. A beautiful spot. Allow 3 hrs mimimum to do Deloraine - Liffey Falls - back to Deloraine. You could stay the night in Deloraine or maybe Longford. There is a couple of nice farmstay type accomodation in Longford, Brickendon & Woolmers

Launceston itself is nice enough, but doesn't really appeal to me as much of a photo location.

Hobart on the other hand is a different story.

If arriving/departing Hobart

Day1 - Hobart....so much to see in Hobart, have to spend a night.

Day2  - Port Arthur

Day 3 - Coles Bay

Day 4 - only time for a quick look at Bay of Fires & then head to Cradle Mtn

Day 5 - Cradle Mtn 2nd night

Day 6 - Cradle mtn - Liffey Falls - Cambelltown - Ross - Oatlands- Richmond  -if leaving early day 7, stay at Richmond, if not stay at Ross

Here's my Tasmania set on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdaggar/sets/72157602604384785/

Dags
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388
Like?
Re: 6 days way to short to cover Tasmania.....
In reply to Dags, May 8, 2013

some other tips....

Stanley is nice & unique landscape...but can't see how you could fit in in a 6 day trip

Likewise Strahan.....really difficult to fit the West coast into a 6 day trip

I can recommend accomodation options in Sheffield, Ross, Richmond, Stanley, Maydeena & if you do end up going to Strahahn I can definitely where NOT to stay in Strahan

bed bug
Senior MemberPosts: 2,967
Like?
Re: Deadly snaykes both places
In reply to jedinstvo, May 8, 2013

What are you talking about? It is the drop bears that are the major danger!

Stephen

jedinstvo wrote:

Always check under the bed for snaykes. Sometimes they crawl into the bed. Another place they like to hide is behind the toilet. There's three-step snaykes and there's two-step snaykes. They bite you, you take two steps and you're dead.

Robert Newman
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brian de Cambra, May 8, 2013

Tasmania is much less developed and a bit wider than the rest of Australia.  You will be going down there in the early winter.  It's southern latitude and location on the Southern Ocean will make most of your weather there cold and wet this time of year.  Be prepared for that.  You will have reduced visibility in many outdoor locations as well.  If your interest is Tasmanian wildlife, you will have a limited number of opportunities to get good shoots.  If you are more into the the local culture and human subjects, you will have better luck.  Indoor shoots, especially with available light or a small flash require a different type f shooting than outdoors.  Use a 35mm equivalent lens for group shots and a short telephoto of 85mm or so for intimated portraits.

If you shoot out in the weather, make sure your gear is protected and that you dry it out in the evening before you go to bed.  Get some travel books on Tasmania and surrounding areas. There is much to see, but  the weather will limit you in a number of ways.  Make sure the check the voltage and the charging plugs required for Australia.  If you rent a car an plan to drive, getting used to turns when driving on the left side of the road can be very dangerous until you do it for a few weeks.  In an emergency, your reactions tend to be wrong.

Pianomanrsn01

kedner
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brian de Cambra, May 28, 2013

Hi,

I am probably going to Tasmania for 1 month in December/January.

I wonder if there are any photo hides for primarily birds there. Does anyone know? I have searched without finding anything in particular. Boat tours with the aim of to take photos of the Sea Eagles would also be of interest.

Best regards

Lennart

kedner's gear list:kedner's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
irm
irm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,531Gear list
Like?
In reply to kedner, May 28, 2013

I am not much help with bird hides or boat tours, but where ever you go take a big hat, long sleeve lightweight tops and polarisers.

There a number of bush walks, Cradle Mountain, Lake Pedder and some down to the south of the island. I have been there a number of times but only once with decent camera.

Ian

-- hide signature --

my 2 exposed flashcubes worth.
Ian the pbase supporter.
http://pbase.com/ianm_au
Please check my profile for equipment list.
An amateur with dreams of being a good to excellent photographer.

irm's gear list:irm's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
Brian de Cambra
Like?
In reply to irm, May 28, 2013

Hi All - many thanks for all your replies, in particular those offering details of what to see etc.

Have done the trip and returned back to Brisbane, fantastic place, 6 nights 7 days too short as many of you have said. Anyway we did a whilwind tour and covered a lot of ground;

Flew into Launceston, straight to Cradle Mountain - Dove Lake. Down to Strahan, across to Mt Field, up the middle "Heritage Highway", across to St Helens and Binelong Bay, then down the east coast and into Hobart. Two to 3 days of trying to dodge weather, changes very quickly. Anyway had a good time on Mount Wellington, ice on the trees and on the ground - interesting.

Some sample images attached, feel free to comment, heaps to process.

Many thanks to all again, will be going back to do a smaller area, perhaps just the East Coast in order to see more stuff.

Brian

Michael H
Regular MemberPosts: 475
Like?
In reply to kedner, May 29, 2013

kedner wrote:

Hi,

I am probably going to Tasmania for 1 month in December/January.

I wonder if there are any photo hides for primarily birds there. Does anyone know? I have searched without finding anything in particular. Boat tours with the aim of to take photos of the Sea Eagles would also be of interest.

Best regards

Lennart

I suggest you ask that question here: http://www.feathersandphotos.com.au/

Lots of Australian bird watchers/photographers use that site.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads